Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat sale - average days on market

hethj7

To those that have recently sold a boat, or for those that routinely flip boats, I'm curious how long a boat is normally listed for.    I know - pricing, time of season, blah, blah, blah can all influence things.   But I'm still interested in "days on market".   

My only boat sale was my 2000 VLX in 2016.   It sold within a month of being listed for I'd say a fair price.  It sold in early summer, so was likely a nice time to sale and I likely could have gotten more for it, but ready to move on at the time.  

Both my sales have been in August (Cali season continues into October) and both sold within a month, around the 3rd week. 

craigslist made the connection both times. The most recent sale didn’t even require a water test. If you keep good records and take care of the boat it shows and separates you from others on the market.

We flip every year. We use our's into October if we don't have too may hours on it. I like to sell it with <80 hours. I put out ads starting in Oct but don't expect to sell until March after the boat shows give the sticker shock to buyers. Most of my boats sell in March and I've never sold one in my state, they go all over the country.

I sold my 2005 RLXi in Dec, 2016.  It was listed here and Only Inboards.  I put the ads up the day before Christmas, it was sold in 4 days.  Like Ronnie mentioned, none of my boats have sold in-state.  The 2001 SLXi was towed 2,000 miles to Seattle, the RLXi was pulled 1,400 miles to Ogden, UT.

Usually use mine till November first. Flip every year. For about 5 years, my MCs were being bought by the same person every year. I didn’t list them. When I switched to Nautique, I listed my G23s on only inboards and boat trader in early November. My 2016 took about a month. My 2017 sold in one day, and for some reason I can’t seem to get boat trader to remove the ad. I was getting at least one inquiry a day until early December, and then quiet until late January and the kickoff of boat show season. Now getting 1-2 inquiries a day, and still can’t get boat trader to remove the ad! I don’t know what the deal is......

Listed my 15 LSV last October. Sold this week. Good price and in perfect condition. Calls dramatically increased the last few weeks. I believe timing has everything to do with it. I would see a off season sale as a bonus. In season, I would expect a quick sale.

I listed my 15 axis on june 22 at my dealer.  had it sold on the 27th.  was right before july 4th weekend. my new 257 had been delivered the week before so it was time to sell the Axis.  not selling early to "play it safe" allowed me to put 20 hrs on the Axis so I would not have to miss 3 months of the season. hot times to sell IMO May and June.

On 2/15/2018 at 10:39 PM, TenTwentyOne said:

Usually use mine till November first. Flip every year. For about 5 years, my MCs were being bought by the same person every year. I didn’t list them. When I switched to Nautique, I listed my G23s on only inboards and boat trader in early November. My 2016 took about a month. My 2017 sold in one day, and for some reason I can’t seem to get boat trader to remove the ad. I was getting at least one inquiry a day until early December, and then quiet until late January and the kickoff of boat show season. Now getting 1-2 inquiries a day, and still can’t get boat trader to remove the ad! I don’t know what the deal is......

@TenTwentyOne Which one is yours on boat trader?

@TenTwentyOne

It seems Boat Trader likes to keep up ads in order to make it look like their inventory is bigger.  The easy solution is to edit the ad and remove pictures or write SOLD!! over the top of them and put SOLD!! in the description.

Edited by nlouthan
  • Like 1

I wonder what OIB does with the data they collect.  When you remove an ad, they ask what the selling price was, and I suspect most people reply.  They also know how many days on the market for their ads.  I bet they sell that data to someone.  

On 2/14/2018 at 8:57 PM, hethj7 said:

To those that have recently sold a boat, or for those that routinely flip boats, I'm curious how long a boat is normally listed for.    I know - pricing, time of season, blah, blah, blah can all influence things.   But I'm still interested in "days on market".   

My only boat sale was my 2000 VLX in 2016.   It sold within a month of being listed for I'd say a fair price.  It sold in early summer, so was likely a nice time to sale and I likely could have gotten more for it, but ready to move on at the time.  

You selling yours already?

I have had mine on Craigslist for last 6 weeks or so. Not much happening this time of year. Figure once the weather breaks it will pick up. My concern is it selling at start of season and leave me without a boat. I do also have it listed here.

Edited by dalt1