Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tranny and vdrive

granddaddy55

Before I read a post about qty as per manual and actual quantity used (looked in manual verified my tranny/vdrive combo in my 330 monsoon ss saying the pennzoil stickers atf only) and as we all know tranny is 2+ qts and vdrive app 1 as per manual poored in to both on my 1st try and had to suck out excess tranny to 1 and 3/4 to 1 and 7/8 as per known post.  Vdrive I’m just from top line of stick or a 1/16th to 1/32nd  under it with one qt

Did that two 1st times before reading old post on here or axis sight . 

This time a used 1 and 3/4 to start on tranny and I’m 1/4 inch above 2nd line and yes I know to rest the sticknin top screw groove and I felt it settle in.

is it like motor where u need to start and then top off or do i have that much residual or 3rd explanation????

I really move that hose around and in to crevices and see it suck more fluid.  I think I get it empty. 

So I would start but I pulled it out of carport and started it twice yesterday to unsuccessfully struggle with oil filter and regular filter wrench I usually use so not up to pulling it out today waiting on electric 1/2 impact to use with oil filter socket to o oil next weekend 

so begs that question , do you guys ever lose that struggle even if you take out small screwed in engine divider and do you use air or other impact when necessary aaand do you still have to keep filter mount from moving with impact wrench ???

and Home Depot stocks the pennzoil dexIII mercon.  Qty was wrong online but they had my 3 qts. Haven’t been able to find it lately .

the penzoil looks rich color and clean each time I evacuate it now.  Dealer must have never changed my vdrive or used wrong product cause 1st evacuation if that was a more pink mixed with light brown my 1st time and since bright red color of fresh fluid

Edited by granddaddy55

Answer to question 1 - measure what you take out and put that much back in.  I haven't been able to get every drop out of mine either

Answer to question 2 - use one of these with your ratchet wrench or breaker bar.  I've be afraid of tearing the filter apart or breaking the remote filter bracket using an impact

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Universal-3-Jaw-Oil-Filter-Wrench-HU3JFW/204762449

Edited by oldjeep
5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Answer to question 1 - measure what you take out and put that much back in.  I haven't been able to get every drop out of mine either

Answer to question 2 - use one of these with your ratchet wrench or breaker bar.  I've be afraid of tearing the filter apart or breaking the remote filter bracket using an impact

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Universal-3-Jaw-Oil-Filter-Wrench-HU3JFW/204762449

Ok, so after starting I will measure and suck out after engaging driveline and re measuring 

found my 1/2 inch long drive breaker bar so does that extra length give you the leverage??? but I assume you are still struggling to use one hand to steady the mount still???

this had never been this bad, always the regular wrench and s big long effort and grunt to get that 1st 1/2 inch of turn

Thinking of an extra set of hands but hard for them to fit in locker with me   Ha ha

2 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

Ok, so after starting I will measure and suck out after engaging driveline and re measuring 

found my 1/2 inch long drive breaker bar so does that extra length give you the leverage??? but I assume you are still struggling to use one hand to steady the mount still???

this had never been this bad, always the regular wrench and s big long effort and grunt to get that 1st 1/2 inch of turn

Thinking of an extra set of hands but hard for them to fit in locker with me   Ha ha

The breaker bar will give you leverage, a Big channel locks can be used to hold the mount if needed

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

The breaker bar will give you leverage, a Big channel locks can be used to hold the mount if needed

Ok, I get it , torquing in opposite direction on the vertical part of mount that’s only 1/4 thick, basically pulling two handles  of the scissors (two separate tools) together

awsome!!!!!!!!!!!

ill pad the metal with a towel

What a great save , I really appreciate it!!!!!

i think I’ll try the filter socket 1st and then go get the Home Depot tool if necessary 

shoujd have known with your garage you would answer 1st , thx 

Edited by granddaddy55
On 2/14/2018 at 12:04 PM, oldjeep said:

Used that husky part with breaker bar driver and even with my buddy mechanic on that and me on channel locks it dug in to filter and didn’t move it. I’m pretty sure I did hand tight last time.

We went back to band wrench and me on channel locks(me in one locker reaching over motor -him in other locker on filter) and we got it off . 

This is my 1st true 50 hour oil (my shortest interval ever) change and it was the worst . 

Previously I simply put the filter wrench reverse on motor side of filter mount never even taking out small engine divider on other side and never even had to hold the mount except with pressure from my free hand especially since I worked from motor side it didn’t rotate the mount

reward Sunday after Saturday teamwork was Sunday surfing

Edited by granddaddy55