Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Mini pontoons

RedOwl

My family has a cabin on a small pond/lake (10 acres or so)  and we're contemplating buying a small pontoon boat to serve as a fishing, swimming, boating platform. There are a lot of grandkids, nieces, nephews, etc and fishing/swimming/sunning/etc is difficult in a canoe, row boat or kayak.

No gas powered craft are allowed so we are limited to an electric or pedal-powered pontoon. The main things we're looking for are stability and quality.

Any suggestions?

4 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

I saw those at the st.l boat show ..was wondring what they were.  pedal power. sounds like the best alt. for no powercraft

They pedal pretty easy, but the trolling motor makes it really nice since she can drive/steer it with the foot control.

There's a community here in Sacramento that has a little pond that wraps through the neighborhood.  They have a no gas rule on the lake.  A few of the kings basketball team players lived there so they secretly hopped up their electric pontoons for an impromptu late night race around the neighborhood.  I'm sure they broke a few rules and were fined pretty heavily but I bet it was a hoot.   Probably not what your looking for but I found it to be a funny story.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, oldjeep said:

My mom has one of these that we have an electric trolling motor attached to.  Works decent enough, she fishes off of it because she doesn't feel comfortable driving and docking the 22ft pontoon.

https://www.warnersdock.com/2018-paddle-king-pk4400-inventory.htm?id=1325893&in-stock=1

PK4400b.jpg

GULP!   over $3000 for a paddle boat?

I like it but I'll take a pass

6 hours ago, CedarLakeSkier said:

GULP!   over $3000 for a paddle boat?

I like it but I'll take a pass

Cheap compared to what a pontoon costs these days.  And considering a bare slalom ski costs over 1k, 3k for a whole boat is a bargain 😁

On 2/14/2018 at 12:25 PM, oldjeep said:

My mom has one of these that we have an electric trolling motor attached to.  Works decent enough, she fishes off of it because she doesn't feel comfortable driving and docking the 22ft pontoon.

https://www.warnersdock.com/2018-paddle-king-pk4400-inventory.htm?id=1325893&in-stock=1

PK4400b.jpg

There was one of these on our old lake, and they used it daily.  It cruises along at a pretty good clip with just pedal power.

On 2/14/2018 at 11:18 AM, RedOwl said:

My family has a cabin on a small pond/lake (10 acres or so)  and we're contemplating buying a small pontoon boat to serve as a fishing, swimming, boating platform. There are a lot of grandkids, nieces, nephews, etc and fishing/swimming/sunning/etc is difficult in a canoe, row boat or kayak.

No gas powered craft are allowed so we are limited to an electric or pedal-powered pontoon. The main things we're looking for are stability and quality.

Any suggestions?

We've had one of these for years.  Have been very happy with it.  They have paddle only and trolling motor powered and they're in Wisc!

http://kennedypontoons.com/

If you really want a cheap fixer upper I have one I'll sell you that has pretty worn vinyl.  The bones of steering and propulsion are still perfect.  It's been outside for @15 years. :badmood:

23 hours ago, minnmarker said:

We've had one of these for years.  Have been very happy with it.  They have paddle only and trolling motor powered and they're in Wisc!

http://kennedypontoons.com/

If you really want a cheap fixer upper I have one I'll sell you that has pretty worn vinyl.  The bones of steering and propulsion are still perfect.  It's been outside for @15 years. :badmood:

Is yours a paddle boat? Feel free to PM me the details - we southern Yoopers don't need fancy if it floats.