Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Connelly F1

88Skier

My son and I got a chance to ski a Connelly F1 this morning. We both found it unfriendly and hard to turn. It seemed like if you pushed it hard enough it would hook the turns beyond where you could hold an edge. It also seemed like it really wanted to take me over the front. I never skiied anything like it. Was it set up wrong?

My son and I got a chance to ski a Connelly F1 this morning. We both found it unfriendly and hard to turn. It seemed like if you pushed it hard enough it would hook the turns beyond where you could hold an edge. It also seemed like it really wanted to take me over the front. I never skiied anything like it. Was it set up wrong?

I bought one this summer and really like how the ski performs. It took me a day or so to learn how the ski acted but after the initial learning curve I have had no problems. I did tinker with the fin quite a bit until I felt that it was best set up for my skiing style. I personally think that it is a great ski and I have been able to do well on the course with it this past summer. I had skied on a Goode for a while and I like the Connelly just as much if not more.

What do you ski on normally?

HO Vengeance. This ski is fine for me but, my son is looking for something more advanced. A friend just got the F1 and had only skied it twice and he was doing alright but, I noticed he was having trouble holding an edge. He may need to fool with the fin. I was just surprised that it did not turn easy.

sounds like its not set up too well for him to me. it shouldnt do that. i believe they uped the bevels and softened it up a bit this year. its a great ski but from what ive heard does take a bit to set up and get used to. not the most friendly ski on the market, people either love it or hate it.

didnt you say somewhere he was going to try a system 8 88skier? i would recommend that.

check out www.waterskitests.com

sounds like its not set up too well for him to me. it shouldnt do that. i believe they uped the bevels and softened it up a bit this year. its a great ski but from what ive heard does take a bit to set up and get used to. not the most friendly ski on the market, people either love it or hate it.

didnt you say somewhere he was going to try a system 8 88skier? i would recommend that.

check out www.waterskitests.com

He was supposed to demo one Sat. morning but, the weather was lousy. Maybe next week.

I've talked to several people who have skied the F1 and it seems to be a love it or hate it relationship. Most of the people I have met who are advanced skiers are moving to the D3. Although a couple of the best skiers at Cobles School (instructors) were on the F1. The D3 was in the majority though.

I have been skiing the D3 X5 for about two weeks and it is great ski (coming off the CDX). Unfortunatley the D3 is not as easy to demo.

Edited by Rip6@36

The F1 is designed to ski very fast in the turns. (let me emphasize "very"). Coming off an HO Vengence, I'm not surprised to hear this was a tough transition as HO's are designed to ride a little deeper in the water (slower through the turn).

I've talked to several people who have skied the F1 and it seems to be a love it or hate it relationship. Most of the people I have met who are advanced skiers are moving to the D3. Although a couple of the best skiers at Cobles School (instructors) were on the F1. The D3 was in the majority though.

I have been skiing the D3 X5 for about two weeks and it is great ski (coming off the CDX). Unfortunatley the D3 is not as easy to demo.

Maybe most but not all. I'm still on my Carbonworx( death trap) and this weekend in a tournament I ran 1.5@39, 4@38, 1@39 and in a run-off I ran .5@39. This is 7 weeks post-op for knee surgery! When and IF I switch off my Carbonworx it won't be for a D3 but I also can't see it being for a F1 either.

I said several not all. :) Lee is skiing very well on the Carbonworx he bought from you at the clinic. It's a little unstable in our rough water for me. The X5 was a great compromise for me. It rides a little lower in the water than the D3 Nomad and the Carbonworx. There seems to be a bit of riff between the Carbonworx people and the D3 people. I think they are both fine skis.

Great skiing! I'm happy you are back in the game!

Rip...

Maybe most but not all. I'm still on my Carbonworx( death trap) and this weekend in a tournament I ran 1.5@39, 4@38, 1@39 and in a run-off I ran .5@39. This is 7 weeks post-op for knee surgery! When and IF I switch off my Carbonworx it won't be for a D3 but I also can't see it being for a F1 either.

Edited by Rip6@36
I said several not all. :) Lee is skiing very well on the Carbonworx he bought from you at the clinic. It's a little unstable in our rough water for me. The X5 was a great compromise for me. It rides a little lower in the water than the D3 Nomad and the Carbonworx. There seems to be a bit of riff between the Carbonworx people and the D3 people. I think they are both fine skis.

Great skiing! I'm happy you are back in the game!

Rip...

D3 makes a great ski, I don't have any problem with them and I think it's a great offering for most skiers. I haven't riden one that I thought was fast enough cross course for me though. I want to get cross course in a heart beat so that I can take my sweet time making a pretty turn.

I don't know that there's enough CW skiers out there to make a "riff" between the D3 and CW camps- there's a lot more similarities between them then differences.

I have been skiing on an F1 lately and I think I prefer it over the other skis I have ridden this year - Monza and Carbonworx. The guy I am borrowing it from gets through 32 off @34mph on his old Connelly Rocket and he hates the F1. For me the F1 is really stable in the turns and I can get across the course quick enough for anything I ski at. I could put ski on for the first time and ran 22 and 28 off on my first passes which I rarely do.

I actually meant rift, but you got the idea. I agree I have not heard anything bad said about either ski from the people on them-but there is definitely a rift between manufacturers. I believe it has to do with the similarities you mentioned. Innocent.gif

As far as speed goes, my new X5 is lightning fast (compared to my CDX) and a speed wise it feels the same as the CW. But I'm not skiing at your level either. I know there were a lot of D3s on the podium at Nationals.

D3 makes a great ski, I don't have any problem with them and I think it's a great offering for most skiers. I haven't riden one that I thought was fast enough cross course for me though. I want to get cross course in a heart beat so that I can take my sweet time making a pretty turn.

I don't know that there's enough CW skiers out there to make a "riff" between the D3 and CW camps- there's a lot more similarities between them then differences.

I actually meant rift, but you got the idea. I agree I have not heard anything bad said about either ski from the people on them-but there is definitely a rift between manufacturers. I believe it has to do with the similarities you mentioned. Innocent.gif

As far as speed goes, my new X5 is lightning fast (compared to my CDX) and a speed wise it feels the same as the CW. But I'm not skiing at your level either. I know there were a lot of D3s on the podium at Nationals.

But even more Monza's and Goode's!

Some people didn't like skiing connelly's because they felt like they were too squirelly. The older ones didn't like to ride flat - but that's not how they should be skied - especially if you're on a comp level ski like the F1.

Don't know how the newer connelly's compare to the old ones, but the squirellyness is something to get used to initially.

When is the Monza coming?

Cheers.gif

I have skied the F1 since the aweful edge hunting days. The F1 of today if set up properly is a very good ski. Last fall I switched to O'brien Sixam, and have never looked back. All around smoother and faster. Again this ski needs proper set up to perform. Sixam is also lighter when all is mounted with bindings. Try a Sixam 1" longer than your normal size and you won't have to work nearly as hard!

I skied a 70" F1 at Cobles and hated it. I felt like it wouldn't turn for me the way my D3X5 performs. That said my D3 is a 68.5" so a more fair comparison would have been the 68" F1. Unfortunately I didn't get to ski a set on the 68".

I got back on my X5 for the first time since Cobles yesterday and it was an eye opening experience. For me the X5 turned way easier and got more angle. I had a couple of passes where I had problems over turning the ski. I even kicked the tail out which I can't remember doing on the X5.

I can't say skiing the 70" F1 compared to my 68.5" X5 was a fair comparison but the X5 turns far easier and gets at least as much angle if not more for me.