Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Pipe vs Turned down Exhaust

AltaVisaRider

24 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

That include labor? Roughly about 115-135 per hour for labor is what I would estimate, but they can probably confirm that. So with the cost of the pipe and tax I could see it getting that high. I'd ask for a quote with the work broke down by line item. Then come back and ask again.

1480 for the pipe including shipping  and  515 for the labor.  I am probably ok with the labor but I wonder if they will let me buy my own?

I am going to ask them if that is a 2019 pipe as the quote doesn't say is there that big of a difference? 

I just found this online $ 620?? for the money I may attempt myself. has anyone bought one of these  

https://www.mcssl.com/SecureCart/ViewCart.aspx?mid=5222E90C-6919-4A1C-8F10-3EAF4CDE67EF&sctoken=e4970e5dcac447dc9e5529a0bd57630c&bhjs=1&bhqs=1

seems like there are tons of threads on FAE with lots of mixed opinions. 

was hoping for better you tube install videos :( but there isn't much.

14 minutes ago, IXFE said:

$1500 for a hollow, metal pipe? And I thought the PTM racks were expensive. 

You can buy a Mac Book Pro for that!  Or a Sig MPX!!

:crazy:

It's a "marine grade" hollow, metal pipe.

• Like 3
On 2/19/2019 at 8:17 PM, Ronnie said:

Actually there’s a “Knob” on the Starboard side hinge that you pull to the left to release the platform lock. 

So does the prop wash put it away for you😃.  I would use it every time with that pin pulling

6 hours ago, smuurph84 said:

1480 for the pipe including shipping  and  515 for the labor.  I am probably ok with the labor but I wonder if they will let me buy my own?

I am going to ask them if that is a 2019 pipe as the quote doesn't say is there that big of a difference? 

I just found this online $ 620?? for the money I may attempt myself. has anyone bought one of these  

https://www.mcssl.com/SecureCart/ViewCart.aspx?mid=5222E90C-6919-4A1C-8F10-3EAF4CDE67EF&sctoken=e4970e5dcac447dc9e5529a0bd57630c&bhjs=1&bhqs=1

seems like there are tons of threads on FAE with lots of mixed opinions. 

was hoping for better you tube install videos :( but there isn't much.

Homemade version here: 

DIY surfpipe

http://www.axiswakeboardboats.com/viewtopic.php?t=4759

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Here's the short video we shot yesterday showing the hinges on the Folding Platform. This is stock ballast and preset Surf Left & Right.

Thanks so much for putting this video together, super helpful!

• Like 2

New owner here, just bought a 2018 23 LSV. It does not have surfpipe but am interested after reading through these posts. Does the “new” design surfpipe fit my boat and go in front of my old PW2 or is it only for PW3?

Edited by Captain007
Redundant statement removed
ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, Captain007 said:

New owner here, just bought a 2018 23 LSV. It does not have surfpipe but am interested after reading through these posts. Does the “new” design surfpipe fit my boat and go in front of my old PW2 or is it only for PW3?  If yes, then I assume the only surfpipe that will fit my boat goes behind the PW2. 

It will not. They change the mounting position of the wedge itself and the bracket for the wedge. 

ahopkins22LSV
5 minutes ago, Captain007 said:

So my only option is the old style that goes behind the wedge, correct?

Yeah, I think @rugger may have fabricated his own to mimic the pipe with PW3 but no one makes that option

Edited by ahopkinsVTX
14 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Yeah, I think @rugger may have fabricated his own to mimic the pipe with PW3 but no one makes that option

@rugger I believe was first with his design before PWIII came out. 

Edited by Dfowkes

Having been on a Cobalt with the step down swim platform...it was a must have on our new 2019 we ordered. That might be one of the most used options on our end as we tie up with friends a lot. Thanks for the video on that...looks great.

19 hours ago, Dfowkes said:

@rugger I believe was first with his design before PWIII came out. 

Haha thanks.  Yeah, I had no idea Malibu was gonna do something similar.   Honestly mine is completely different though; it uses a merge collector (Y) from the manifolds straight out above wedge but below swim deck, and then curves down through the wedge, instead of going down and then back up, and then down again.  The crazy curves of FAE and some surf exhaust systems reminded me of the game mousetrap.... but that's understandable because of the wedge, which most of us aren't going to give up.    Nautiques is the cleanest but that's because they don't have the wedge.  I went more go-fast boat style (direct) but of course down into the prop wash.  

My design isn't a bolt on though... it requires filling in exhaust port holes in the transom which is a pain.  I used that extra space inside (where the exhaust port would have been) to add a big-a**, large capacity bilge pump as a security blanket, which was cool.    The other side was gonna be for a stern thruster... but I don't think I'm going that route.

Edited by rugger