Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Pipe vs Turned down Exhaust

AltaVisaRider

I am in the when, not if it happens column for injury on that thing and when we get anyone under 3' tall on the new flip down, I know they are going to be sitting facing the boat playing with toys on the deck and bam, instant ruined day. Got to admit, there wasn't much thought towards safety on that (surf pipe).

Edited by wdr
4 hours ago, IXFE said:

Joking aside... you honestly think I’m out to lunch on this?  Like seriously, snide remarks aside. Please think about it.  You’re totally okay with Malibu charging $800 for that jagged, janky piece of metal sitting just inches behind the edge of the platform??  Everything else under there (and there’s a lot) is nicely rounded, beveled, and smoothed out.  Even the cleats are rounded and smooth (deployed or not). Several on this thread have reported injuries. Yet nobody has reported getting cancer while surfing. But somehow you all think I’m the crazy one for expecting more out of a six figure toy??

Also, for everybody who loves to call me a “fanboy” please remember this thread. I clearly called Malibu out (and will always do so when I see fit). And guess what... they clearly listened (ie they agreed with me). And voila! @IXFE now owns a surf pipe... not that I had a choice, but al least they addressed the issues I raised a year ago. 

0E74DAAB-4AFF-4E83-BE10-D0605B691EEF.png

One question, is the lower pipe smooth and more finished than previous years or could you still wack a foot on it and possibly cut it?  Definitely like the new design much better...

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, wdr said:

I am in the when, not if it happens column for injury on that thing and when we get anyone under 3' tall on the new flip down, I know they are going to be sitting facing the boat playing with toys on the deck and bam, instant ruined day. Got to admit, there wasn't much thought towards safety on that (surf pipe).

With the 2019 surf pipe? I know I’m just one guy but we put almost 60 hours on our 2019 last summer/fall with people and kids getting in/out a ton! No one hit it nor the wedge. I think you’d really have to have kids rough housing on/near/under the platform for it to happen. 

Edited by ahopkinsVTX

2019. Not a judgement and it sounds kind of whiney and you probably have a better chance of winning the lottery, but if you get a little kid on the back deck on the flip down transom it is going to eat them.

Edited by wdr
28 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

We never had any issues in our past boats. It’s going to be even harder to get to it now. 

F79CEB46-A9BE-46AB-BBE3-A7E3370F646D.jpeg

This shot does show an extra degree of difficulty with the wedge up. If anyone was really worried about the little ones hitting it I am sure the wedge could be raised or lowered to all but eliminate the possibility of contact.

Flip that sucka back up and that underhanging hinge right at the edge of the platform looks WAY more likely to cause a knee gash when getting back up on the swim deck the traditional way (without the whale lander flipped down). 

Maybe I’m crazy?

• Like 2

Yeh, I am in line to get on that ride. 😕 Kinda of wondering what the $2700 bracket is going to do to the wave as well?

15 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Flip that sucka back up and that underhanging hinge right at the edge of the platform looks WAY more likely to cause a knee gash when getting back up on the swim deck the traditional way (without the whale lander flipped down). 

Maybe I’m crazy?

23 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Maybe I’m crazy?

Your right, I saw it on a Cobalt and you didn’t  have to lean out far standing on platform to see it which means your knee could easily whack it , just grow old and ask fir the training step please! And enjoy what you paid for , turn it into a celebrated ritual , “guards let down the gate” 

• Like 1

Man you guys are looking for (or creating) danger! Any of you ever been around a swim platform on an I/O? There's a prop hanging there, be careful. 

I'll try to get out on Saturday and take a few pictures of the wake and platform. I haven't noticed any disruption of the wave from the platform hinges. I have done a couple of Demo's on my boat, one last Sunday with a local couple leaving an older Nautique for a new Malibu. Their face was priceless when they saw the wave form and how easy it was to make it. They did remark how clean the wave was.

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Man you guys are looking for (or creating) danger! Any of you ever been around a swim platform on an I/O? There's a prop hanging there, be careful. 

I'll try to get out on Saturday and take a few pictures of the wake and platform. I haven't noticed any disruption of the wave from the platform hinges. I have done a couple of Demo's on my boat, one last Sunday with a local couple leaving an older Nautique for a new Malibu. Their face was priceless when they saw the wave form and how easy it was to make it. They did remark how clean the wave was.

I guess I'm just thinking of my "old man flop" onto the platform.  Can the whale beacher be deployed from the water?  Meaning if I just got done with my surf set and want to get back in can I reach up and flip down the step from the platform with normal sized arms while floating?  If so, my concerns are probably moot.  That exposed bolt head looks like right where I'd funny bone my knee getting up the "regular" way.

The release knobs were kind of stiff on the ones on the floor, but should ease up some with use. Pulling the pin out while floating should not be a problem, but reaching forward over the platform to grab the lip of the flip down platform and flip it rearward toward the floating user might be a little tricky.

21 minutes ago, NWBU said:

Seems like there should be a surfband button to raise and lower a power whale beacher. 

I can’t remember the brand, Bryant iirc, but it does have a power whale beacher. The whole platform raises vertically, kind of slick really.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:46 PM, Ronnie said:

Just went out with Slurpee and shot some video. He will edit that down in the next couple of days and I'll post it up.

The Folding Platform hinges do drag in the "spray" created by the surfgates. Any deflection of water that they make is within the disturbance of the normal boat disruption of the lake surface. They don't hang down in the water. They do not have any effect on the wave what so ever.

35 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Just went out with Slurpee and shot some video. He will edit that down in the next couple of days and I'll post it up.

The Folding Platform hinges do drag in the "spray" created by the surfgates. Any deflection of water that they make is within the disturbance of the normal boat disruption of the lake surface. They don't hang down in the water. They do not have any effect on the wave what so ever.

Thanks for checking on this for everyone. Looking forward to the video and some photos.

figured this would be a good place to post. ( I have a 16t22) the dealer just quoted me 2k to add the surfpipe???) seems really high to me??? is that what everyone is paying?  seems like it wouldn't take more than a few hours to install? am I wrong here? 

ahopkins22LSV
8 minutes ago, smuurph84 said:

figured this would be a good place to post. ( I have a 16t22) the dealer just quoted me 2k to add the surfpipe???) seems really high to me??? is that what everyone is paying?  seems like it wouldn't take more than a few hours to install? am I wrong here? 

That include labor? Roughly about 115-135 per hour for labor is what I would estimate, but they can probably confirm that. So with the cost of the pipe and tax I could see it getting that high. I'd ask for a quote with the work broke down by line item. Then come back and ask again.