Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surf Pipe vs Turned down Exhaust

AltaVisaRider

1 hour ago, Fman said:

Lets be honest Malibu in general does not have the most user friendly boat when it comes to someone kicking there feet under the platform with a wedge, surf pipe and surf gate actuators that all could hit someones foot if they were not careful.

This is my point!  You’re right, there’s a lot of junk down there, and yet the item that is CLOSEST to the swimmers has the roughest, most unfinished edges. Makes total sense... :Doh:

I know you guys think I’m making too big a deal about it; frankly I’m surprised how easily some of you justify it. 

Ugly, poorly finished, $800 pipe with unproven science just inches from the edge of the platform is easy for me to skip (especially on a flip). Clean up those edges and I’ll start to consider it but only because I’m easily influenced by guys like @Fman and @shawndoggy 

• Like 1

I had tips on 2014 VTX with GM engine (dual exhaust) and had no issues.  On my 2016 LSV ordered with turned down tip (single exhaust) and was noticeably bothered by the fume issues so I then added the surf pipe.  It made big difference on the fumes.    I haven't noticed much difference if any as to sound.  

45 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Add me to the camp of people that have been injured by FAE, granted this was the old style with hose clamps everywhere. I skipped that option on my new boat. 

27 minutes ago, Dfowkes said:

Great day on the water. Little cold at 52 degrees water temperature. My report is that the interior boat noise went down only a little but the noise while surfing is considerably less. No more smell or smoke while surfing. Very pleased with the FAE. 

C20AD4FF-EA5A-479D-8FE7-B79D5C9F9ED5.jpeg

How was the spray at cruising speeds?  Any noticeable spray when surfing?  I added it to my 25 over the winter but haven't been able to get out on the water yet.

If you guys are concerned about sharp objects when swimming the only brand that is fully protected, (besides surf pipe that is) is Nautique. Just look at the size of the tabs on mb, giant! Or mastercraft. Supra and Tige’s are a little smaller to protect.  

But like many others I’ve never found any of what I just said hazardous or sharp. 

Edited by Cole2001
On 2/17/2018 at 8:18 AM, Kojak said:

@Fman What adhesive did you use?

This is what I used, adhesive is included.  Taillight warranty on this stuff, I have no idea how this will hold up while under water at 25 mph.  Could blow off first time out, it does seem like it's adhered well but only time will tell.

Cowles T5602 Edge Trim, 18 Feet, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EA0LJK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_g7BIAbESHBGKW

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Fman said:

This is what I used, adhesive is included.  Taillight warranty on this stuff, I have no idea how this will hold up while under water at 25 mph.  Could blow off first time out, it does seem like it's adhered well but only time will tell.

Cowles T5602 Edge Trim, 18 Feet, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EA0LJK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_g7BIAbESHBGKW

I'm curious to see how this does. I may add this to my FAE if it holds up for you. 

Thanks 

My wife would not allow us to buy a 2016 without a surf pipe - the Ford engine was too loud.  Surfpipe = she is happy = we bought a 2016 23lsv.   Very noticeable difference.

Not sure about the C02 difference, but the annoying steam floating up and behind and over the platform and in front of the surfer went away.  That was a huge difference.

One of the girls slipped off my neighbors boat, caught her butt cheek on the cleat, and 16 stitches later, has a nice scar.  Consequently,  I would recommend to IXFE that you remove all of the cleats from your boat.  You probably should also remove all ropes of any kind, require everyone to wear life jackets 100% of the time, ban people from the front of your boat, never boat when there are any other boats or jet skis on the lake, require surfers to wear helmets,  cover all exposed gel coat including the entire outside of the boat with friction tape, remove all hinges on compartments, never pull up to a dock, and ban children, all of whom seem to incur the vast majority of boat injuries.

I kid.  I kid.  But man, there are about a million things on your boat (including the preceding list) that are more likely to cause a serious injury than a surf pipe.  

Just like any boat option, the surf pipe is critical for some, and silly to others.  If Cooper likes it, I am sure you will come around eventually.

• 1 year later...
On 2/18/2018 at 10:02 AM, Fman said:

I forgot about this post last season, unfortunately... epic fail:(.  Did not even last one trip out.  If anyone has any other ideas please post them up!

• Like 2

I was feeling the pipe up on the showroom floor thinking my accident prone self is definitely going to find this with my foot swimming or my head doing maintenance. LOL, my son was even telling me "dad watch the pipe" when I was scoping the PW3 and prop. I am thinking basically the same setup that you have but in a 1/2" aluminum "U" channel trim riveted to the exhaust hole. The 1/2" should be malleable enough to form around it and allow enough material to be cross drilled and secured. I won't have to worry about the flat plate on the '19.

1 hour ago, Fman said:

I forgot about this post last season, unfortunately... epic fail:(.  Did not even last one trip out.  If anyone has any other ideas please post them up!

I was hoping that worked... thanks for following up on the results.

1 hour ago, Fman said:

how many gashed feet and legs were suffered?

15 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

how many gashed feet and legs were suffered?

Joking aside... you honestly think I’m out to lunch on this?  Like seriously, snide remarks aside. Please think about it.  You’re totally okay with Malibu charging $800 for that jagged, janky piece of metal sitting just inches behind the edge of the platform??  Everything else under there (and there’s a lot) is nicely rounded, beveled, and smoothed out.  Even the cleats are rounded and smooth (deployed or not). Several on this thread have reported injuries. Yet nobody has reported getting cancer while surfing. But somehow you all think I’m the crazy one for expecting more out of a six figure toy??

Also, for everybody who loves to call me a “fanboy” please remember this thread. I clearly called Malibu out (and will always do so when I see fit). And guess what... they clearly listened (ie they agreed with me). And voila! @IXFE now owns a surf pipe... not that I had a choice, but al least they addressed the issues I raised a year ago. 

0E74DAAB-4AFF-4E83-BE10-D0605B691EEF.png

Edited by IXFE
29 minutes ago, IXFE said:

Joking aside... you honestly think I’m out to lunch on this?  Like seriously, snide remarks aside. Please think about it.  You’re totally okay with Malibu charging $800 for that jagged, janky piece of metal sitting just inches behind the edge of the platform??  Everything else under there (and there’s a lot) is nicely rounded, beveled, and smoothed out.  Even the cleats are rounded and smooth (deployed or not). Several on this thread have reported injuries. Yet nobody has reported getting cancer while surfing. But somehow you all think I’m the crazy one for expecting more out of a six figure toy??

Also, for everybody who loves to call me a “fanboy” please remember this thread. I clearly called Malibu out (and will always do so when I see fit). And guess what... they clearly listened (ie they agreed with me). And voila! @IXFE now owns a surf pipe... not that I had a choice, but al least they addressed the issues I raised a year ago. 

0E74DAAB-4AFF-4E83-BE10-D0605B691EEF.png

Absolutely a great point, @IXFE.  I'm pleased to hear that Malibu listened to their customers on this one.  The 2019 surf pipe location is far better than previous iterations.  I love the fact that it's located ahead of the wedge.  

Can you take a picture of that platform landscape that show the hinges on the whale beacher (err... handicap step... err... whatever the flip down thing is called)?  It's been a while,  but the first time I saw it, those underhanging hinges looked a lot closer to where people actually get up on the platform (to me).  I mean assuming you aren't going to flip the extra step down every time someone gets in and out to surf or wakeboard, then flip it back up?  Or is it easy enough for someone in the water to do themselves? (I haven't seen it in action).

I definitely like the @rugger style FAE placement.