Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

98 Response LX tach bouncing and Speedo not accurate

jorason

I have had my 98 Response LX for over 10 years and the stupid tach and speedo have not worked right for most of this time.  I know that the MDC is cracked from all my research I did over the years.  I have been very reluctant to spend the $380 to replace without knowing for sure that this is the fix.  Has anyone simply replaced the MDC and just like that the guages work right.  I do not want to go another season without the tach and speedo working right.  All other guages work correctly.  

Speedo could be the pitot tubes clogged or the MDC.  I converted mine to GPS for both accuracy and knowing when the tubes fail they take out the MDC with them. Plus it is nice not having them hanging off the back of the boat.

Tach could be the gauge itself, connection somewhere or the MDC.  My gauge failed years ago but I replaced it with a Perfect Pass (GPS as well).  

Not sure if the 99 had a paddle wheel, or a pitot tube. (if you have two speedos then you most likely have pitot tubes), if a single speedo then probably a paddle wheel.

Clean the pitot tube with a pipe cleaner bristle, or push pin.  (if you use compressed air ONLY blow from the gauge out toward the pickup)

If its a paddle wheel, I'd look at replacing the wheel.

On 2/11/2018 at 7:52 PM, jorason said:

I have had my 98 Response LX for over 10 years and the stupid tach and speedo have not worked right for most of this time.  I know that the MDC is cracked from all my research I did over the years.  I have been very reluctant to spend the $380 to replace without knowing for sure that this is the fix.  Has anyone simply replaced the MDC and just like that the guages work right.  I do not want to go another season without the tach and speedo working right.  All other guages work correctly.  

define "not working right".  Does it mean consistent erroneous readings?  bouncing?  intermittent operation, etc.?

On my 97 Echelon, my tach started bouncing.  If I recall correctly, I only had to clean up the connections on the back to get it working properly again.