Sign in to follow this  
Faceplant409

Oil bath hubs

Faceplant409

Found a puddle on the garage floor.....

Oil bath hub rear seal. Anyone changed one??? Difficulty factor? Special tools?

Looked in my boat sale paperwork and found that I received literature for Bearing buddies instead of oil baths...

Pat

Dan P

I did one of mine (myself). Very easy. Hardest part was getting the 50 weight oil.

chathamsolutions

So where did you get it? Paul only filled mine half way, I need to top them off.

Faceplant409

Yeah, you do. I downloaded the poop sheet from ufpnet.com and it says that air inside the hub will cause it to leak. Air and oil expand at different rates and quantities. Hot air will pressuriz the void causing a leak or a worse leak.

I may try just filling mine up and see what happens...

BTW If you remove the wheels and do not put the chrome hub cap back on, you can get to the fill/drain plug without removing the wheel again.

Pat

Dan P
So where did you get it? Paul only filled mine half way, I need to top them off.

I found some at Kragen, but had to buy a quart. If you were closer I'd give you the rest. One of those things that I will end up storing for the next decade.

chathamsolutions

Sounds like you and me both :)

Faceplant409

So Andy was right, it was a 'snap.' (...even though I diddn't pay a guy to do it...) Tease2.gif

The only tough part was getting the pressed in hub off. I ended up wrapping it in a couple of layers of 20 mil tape, (underground plumbing pipe wrap-PVC/rubber) Gripping it with channel locks and beating the channel locks as I alternated sides. You have to destroy the old seal to get it out, so have new ones on hand. I called UFP to get parts and they gave me DHM's #. $20something to my door for 4 seals and 4 'O' rings. I just did 1 and it took me about 1/2 hr. Used a paper Dixie cup to fill the hub. That took the longest. The oil has to work it's way through the bearings and push out the air.

Pat

pup

Wheel bearings are pretty forgiving as to what oil you run in them. Some hubs are packed with grease & others run oil. The bearings & adjustments are the same for both. 90wt gear lube will work fine. Lucas hub oil is good.

My brothers & I have a heavy truck repair shop. The big trucks get synthetic if that's what they came in with or Lucas. No problems with either one.