Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Man, Times Have Changed...

ahopkins22LSV

At this year's Seattle show, the only DD boats were a beautiful Nautique open & closed bow. Not another ski boat among all the other dealers.  Just shows you where there money is made these days.

And an open bow was almost blasphemy back then, a 'true' ski boat was closed bow:) 

I would bet there are more true ski boats in that shot than will be at the next 3 Detroit Boat Shows in total.

• Like 3

There was only one DD at the OKC boat show. I had honestly never been in a DD boat so I had to get in and check it out. It was a Response TXI. Shoot I have probably only seen a handful of DD boats in my life. There is a sweet Mastercraft DD at the lake we go to, it is a beautiful silver and blue metallic color. It catches my eye every time even from across the lake. 

It was cool to see it. Those DD's look so sleek and fast just sitting still. 

9 minutes ago, CBray4 said:

There was only one DD at the OKC boat show. I had honestly never been in a DD boat so I had to get in and check it out. It was a Response TXI. Shoot I have probably only seen a handful of DD boats in my life. There is a sweet Mastercraft DD at the lake we go to, it is a beautiful silver and blue metallic color. It catches my eye every time even from across the lake. 

You also don't need a lot of friends to say you have a full boat, you can at least fit four adults in one :lol: I always feel for the guy sitting in back ducking under the rope! They are cool tho and its amazing to see a good slalom skier behind one with a completely flat wake.

Makes you wonder how many they actually sell every year because you rarely see them anymore.

3 minutes ago, Fman said:

You also don't need a lot of friends to say you have a full boat, you can at least fit four adults in one :lol: I always feel for the guy sitting in back ducking under the rope! They are cool tho and its amazing to see a good slalom skier behind one with a completely flat wake.

Makes you wonder how many they actually sell every year because you rarely see them anymore.

I agree! I bet they barely sell any DD's here in OK. 

I never see them at the lakes here. Its rare to even see inboards at our lakes here. Pontoons, fishing boats and a ton of I/O. 

I honestly haven’t seen a new DD at a dealer in sooo long. Like since I’ve had a surf boat in 2014 and stopped at every dealer I see I haven’t seen one.... 

Nobody in Canada sky’s, my skiing friend had the hardest time finding a boat that he didn’t have to custom order. 

ahopkins22LSV

We sold 6 last year. A few to promo and a few stock. They always bring one or two in for stock. And the boat show will have two. Maybe three. Nautique brings 1-2 and Malibu will have one. 

I don’t know the exact numbers but I bet Malibu sells more a year then most people realize. Just most are ordered. 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

This year is the 40th year for the Detroit Boat Show. They just posted this picture on Facebook and it happens to be of the Malibu Booth and it’s from 1998. Four closed bows, one tower and one fly high pole. Crazy!

07B4C7B7-70DF-4596-BC0A-BB110435BF73.thumb.jpeg.3a8b0bd9a281d3d247c0bb903997ea38.jpeg

brings back memorys that was the first year i went to aboat show in dallas and ws looking for my first Ski boat, trade in my I/O..definitely things have changed..too much bling, electronics, and gadgets have made prices go through the roof..Hence why i recently bought a 2004 VLX , one of the last years with the stock dash and manual wedge etc..great hull and affordable..New boat prices are almost embarrassing.. no boat without bed, sink, and toilet should cost 150k and up...:(

15 minutes ago, onamission said:

@ahopkinsTXi  Correction this is the 60th year for the Detroit Boat Show.  

I'm trying to find a photo of the 1999 show, we bought the Malibu that was sitting up in the air.

We agreed to perches A Centurion at the 99 show. We ordered but the dealer came over to my house and we worked the final order out on the new boat order. Nice service!   

ahopkins22LSV
31 minutes ago, onamission said:

@ahopkinsTXi  Correction this is the 60th year for the Detroit Boat Show.  

I'm trying to find a photo of the 1999 show, we bought the Malibu that was sitting up in the air.

I was just sharing what the Detroit Boat Show page posted...

9DE2734D-EC8A-4F7D-A1BA-066FE7731EDE.thumb.png.0c77ebe8feac8dca6d1403f74b0637f6.png

1 hour ago, Woodski said:

I wonder what the MSRP is on each one of those 'Bu's, my guess each under $50k.

That's probably a little high. A well optioned '99 Sunsetter VLX w/ dual axle trailer was about $35K, O.T.D.  Two years later a well optioned '01 Sunsetter LXi was about the same. I don't recall MSRP, but doubt I paid 30-40% less than MSRP.

2 hours ago, Woodski said:

I wonder what the MSRP is on each one of those 'Bu's, my guess each under $50k.

Our 99 all decked out with SS underwater gear was around $28,000.

Boat.thumb.JPG.5031494176f465d478a1c8f6c4f852b1.JPG  5a7dd765ca79a_Boat4.JPG.96d89a534519a14151eb1e95348e5268.JPG

The 1982 was $7,000.

Scan_Pic0001.thumb.jpg.447f5e8ae85dc77f4f06cd650f096e31.jpg

Edited by onamission
  • Like 2
On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:21 AM, Sixball said:

Back then if you were even thinking about surfing you were looking for big water!  Tow boats were still made for a mans sport. Skiing!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

That is more DD boats then you see in the whole show today!  I like the closed bow Red Wings boat! 

If a remember correctly the Red Wings boat belonged to Steve Yzerman, or possible one of the others.

20 hours ago, thebill said:

brings back memorys that was the first year i went to aboat show in dallas and ws looking for my first Ski boat, trade in my I/O..definitely things have changed..too much bling, electronics, and gadgets have made prices go through the roof..Hence why i recently bought a 2004 VLX , one of the last years with the stock dash and manual wedge etc..great hull and affordable..New boat prices are almost embarrassing.. no boat without bed, sink, and toilet should cost 150k and up...:(

At the DFW boat show there’s only ONE Malibu that’s > $150k and that’s the M235, but I get your point. 

On 2/8/2018 at 2:38 PM, CBray4 said:

And that boat was special ordered for the owner of the dealership.