Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to Pick Up a Wakesurfer the Right Way

ActiveWaterSports

I am surprised it didn't take less time to do it the correct way.  It seems like it takes the flat bill power turners way longer to pick up their riders.  I wish this video was part of the boater education requirements in our state. 

• Like 1

I want to make everyone that drives my boat watch this. I always have a sense of dread when I'm surfing and someone else decides to power-turn to pick me up.

...and the driver should always pick up the rider on the driver's side (where they can see them!) unless there is a major safety concern that requires the rider to be in the driver's blind spot. The observer can throw the rope if that's really an issue.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, mikeo said:

I want to make everyone that drives my boat watch this. I always have a sense of dread when I'm surfing and someone else decides to power-turn to pick me up.

...and the driver should always pick up the rider on the driver's side (where they can see them!) unless there is a major safety concern that requires the rider to be in the driver's blind spot. The observer can throw the rope if that's really an issue.

I disagree with the same side as driver rule, I bet in busy lakes it is probably best .  In our situation on a Straight canal with little boat traffic we slowly circle the surfer on observer side and rope we leave in water cause we can (big fat braided rope that can take it and not spin itself ) comes right to them.  

I know this sounds stupid but my wife actually places boat right on inside my shoulder as I begin to disappear from her sight and rope comes right to you.  To guide myself to right spot at stern I often run my hand  down the underside of boat. Takes me right there

We do this very slow 

on a better note we will put these theories to the test today !!!!!!! Yeeee haaa season starting boys!!

Edited by granddaddy55
  • Like 2

I always pick up on drivers side too. It's nice to talk to the rider especially when we are teaching sometimes people say they are good to go but you can tell they need a short break. 

• Like 3

I've never heard of a "power turn" until I got on this site. And I have been a boater all my life.

Anyway, we always do the "preferred method" for surfers.  Except I pick them up on whatever side they surf.  If they surf regular, I just ask that they hold the board up as the boat comes close.  Get the rider the rope right away, and we are off.

• Like 2

This is all good to know. I've never tried the power turn, but I have tried the "hey baby, that's a nice board you got there. Wanna check out my ballast??" It never worked, maybe I'll try something slower next time.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

On 2/23/2018 at 11:35 AM, roeboat said:

I only do a power turn when I need to protect my rider from other boaters

You may want to reconsider this.  When in a ski run, all boats are generally running back in forth in the same lane.   If you slow the engine to idle and turn, you stay almost in your same line.  For a boat to hit your rider, he is also going to hit your boat.  Your boat is easiest to see.

When you power turn, you are swinging out of your line.  A boat avoiding your boat may be pushed into your rider. 

Also, get out your own stopwatch and track your time to your rider.  Track your time to protect your rider.  You may be surprised that if you learn to power down and turn the wheel immediately, the bow roller will actually help turn your boat faster.

Anyhow, early spring before people really want to be in the water is a good chance to practice various techniques.  I have my kids practice getting safely do a pfd I throw overboard.

The exception is when a boat is coming at you or your rider from 45 or 90 degrees. I once had a see do try to go between the boat and rider from 90 degrees. she tuned at the last minute smiling and sped away. all I could do was show her she was number 1

• Like 2
On 3/26/2018 at 10:26 PM, flapjack said:

You may want to reconsider this.  When in a ski run, all boats are generally running back in forth in the same lane.   If you slow the engine to idle and turn, you stay almost in your same line.  For a boat to hit your rider, he is also going to hit your boat.  Your boat is easiest to see.

When you power turn, you are swinging out of your line.  A boat avoiding your boat may be pushed into your rider. 

Also, get out your own stopwatch and track your time to your rider.  Track your time to protect your rider.  You may be surprised that if you learn to power down and turn the wheel immediately, the bow roller will actually help turn your boat faster.

Anyhow, early spring before people really want to be in the water is a good chance to practice various techniques.  I have my kids practice getting safely do a pfd I throw overboard.

I could see on a ski run that a power turn wouldn't be helpful but I'm on a small lake with four tight turns. The problem is other drivers dont look into the next turn when going around the lake. When I'm doing the power turn it's a visual clue that I have someone in the water and to look around the corner first.

• 1 month later...

Well, ya learn something new every day.   Ive always done the slow return.   When the surfer drops off, I drop into neutral to get off plane immediately, then WAIT for the wave to pass, then turn back to the rider.    On busy days, it is tempting to turn early, which has resulted in taking some water over the bow a couple of times.  BUT... I never tried the reverse bump.   I am going to try that, I bet that saves time, and it I also bet it will cause the boat to turn within the wakes, which will let me start the return to the rider even sooner.