Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Teak Oil Overspray on Gel Coat

I applied teak oil on the platform today as we were cleaning the boat. I use a spray bottle, and accidently got some teak oil on the transom. It seemed to "harden." It wouldn't rub off with a rag, and I used a product to remove grease/tar and that did not help. The ambient air temperature was about 65-degrees, and the transom was in the shade.

Long term, will the teak oil on the gel coat hurt it? Anyone have any ideas on how to remove it?

Thanks in advance.

Brian

I'd try vinegar first, then simple green and move up the 'harshness' ladder from there. Just don't let the products stay on there for long, especially in the sun. Rinse good with water between chemicals.

Good luck!

p

Patrick, don't be a jerk®. ;) Vinegar will not touch the teak oil. FSR works like a charm and won't harm the boat (follow precautions, blah, blah, blah).

Bob--SoftScrub®????????? Have you really used this on the gel and no damage? I wonder if that might be better than Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic. . .

Patrick, don't be a jerk®. ;) Vinegar will not touch the teak oil. FSR works like a charm and won't harm the boat (follow precautions, blah, blah, blah).

Bob--SoftScrub®????????? Have you really used this on the gel and no damage? I wonder if that might be better than Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic. . .

I've used it for years on both of my boats. Never has scratched the gel. I use it often on the rear of the boat to get the exhuast fume stains off and the teak oil splatters off. I use alot of teak oil.

I've never even considered oiling my teak when it was ON the boat. Why dont you just pull it off to oil it. 10 seconds of prevention is better than several minutes of cleanup.

I've never even considered oiling my teak when it was ON the boat. Why dont you just pull it off to oil it. 10 seconds of prevention is better than several minutes of cleanup.

Or depending on how it attaches to your boat, mine slides back a bit, giving me some clearance from the transom.

Or.. ah - try not spraying it on, and apply it with a rag (like the directions suggest) ;)

I thought it was here that I read the suggestion of using a spray bottle to achieve a more uniform coverage. Dontknow.gif

I definitely could (should) have been more careful, but I was rushed. I tried vinegar immediately, and it did nothing. I'll try soft scrub in an out-of-the-way place first, and then work on the transom.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Brian

Your boat on a trailer or boat lift?

Or depending on how it attaches to your boat, mine slides back a bit, giving me some clearance from the transom.

Or.. ah - try not spraying it on, and apply it with a rag (like the directions suggest) ;)

I just pour it all over the place and rub it around. ;)

A local gel coat repair guy was working on my father-in-law's boat, which had a nice teak oil strip between the platform and the boat. Got it off with orange oil cleaner on a rag. Haven't seen any adverse effects to the hull.