Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Parkit360

05hammerhead

The shop foreman at my last company built one of these using an old snowblower for his travel trailer. Worked well. No idea how the bushings held up with that much weight though.

• 10 months later...

I know this is an older thread but thought I would chime in.  I bought one of these due to the 90 degree turn i have to make into my garage and didn't have enough driveway to make the turn.  So far I have been pleased with it.  It moves the boat very easily in straight lines.  Turns are a little trickier due to the double axle trailer not wanting to make tight turns but it gets the job done.  I expect on a single axle it would work even better.  I have only used it two or three times and expect I will get better with it over time,  It appears to be built well and was a good choice for my situation.   I toyed with trying the trailer valet but didn't like the idea of being hunched over all the time when moving it, especially after injuring my back a couple years ago.  

I just bought the $59 dollar manual version from Overtons, I have a flat driveway , $1500 is slot more , hope my cheap solution works well, I’ll report in

2 minutes ago, Falko said:

Coat the driveway with Crisco. Geez, am I the only one who sees the obvious answers around here??

OP is in MN.  I'm thinking hoser.

1 hour ago, 05hammerhead said:

Solid!  Will it pull a boat?

It's not mine, a guy on YouTube built it.  He is pulling and pushing all kinds of stuff around with it.  

@carguy79ta  so you think cause of the ball hitch the push back will engage brakes , never thought of that cause I push it in by myself with no ball hitch engaging, glad I have lockout magnet now , but I don’t think it will cause the trailer sort of “slides” forward where it’s inertia is great at speed in road and I’m thinking that won’t be duplicated by pushing it in.  Got my Overton’s cheapee yesterday , will try this weekend and report back, $59 plus $5-8 shipping , I think it was 67 or less delivered  

Edited by granddaddy55
On 1/2/2019 at 2:12 PM, Sixball said:

Take two tires off. 

I don’t think that’s necesssry cause it’s amazing how much the trailer wheel at angle will immediately initiate and make a turn though I admit putting the tandom wheels in complete torque where they do what 2 tandom  axles do to turn may be quite difficult 

but I think that gets overcome by momentum if the boat cause they really do move easier than you would think.  I didn’t have his turn at all but fir 4 years I make  angle changes very easly from cutting left to cutting right, it’s the turning of the jack wheel with tongue weight that makes it difficulty cause you have to re establish your momentum 

Edited by granddaddy55
9 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

I wonder if it will work with surge brakes. 

Would be really easy to add a harness and use the battery to engage the lockout solenoid. 

My issue is being able to get the boat as close to the wall as possible.  I've always thought about installing something like this:

be_ang-tenn2-1.jpg

Or a mini version of this

suzuki1a.jpg

1 minute ago, hunter77ah said:

I use these for the winter.  It's the only way I can get my boat close to the wall. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FSTFX2C/ref=twister_B01G5JTPDW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

With these, I can push the boat within about 3 inches of the wall.  It gives me an extra 3-4 feet in my garage.

I tried a set of those and they bent under the weight.  Might not have been that exact set, but they claimed to be heavy duty.  And the wheels rode out onto the SS nuts on top, which felt like that might not be good to have going on all winter.

Just now, JeffK said:

I tried a set of those and they bent under the weight.  Might not have been that exact set, but they claimed to be heavy duty.  And the wheels rode out onto the SS nuts on top, which felt like that might not be good to have going on all winter.

I don't leave them on long term, just long enough to "scooch" it over. I've done it 2-3x and only had one castor bend out.  Still worked, but was a bit harder to push.

I looked for a true "heavy duty" set, but couldn't find anything less than $500.  The redhound auto ones worked, but I agree, not a long term solution.

My cheap is obviously not cheap , came without axle , call gander mt/overtons and if they don’t have an axle to send, which they won’t , they’ll send the next one but won’t open the box to see if the Chinese packed all of them with out the most expensive piece, no wonder it was $59, hoping fir the budget best outcome

Just now, hunter77ah said:

I don't leave them on long term, just long enough to "scooch" it over. I've done it 2-3x and only had one castor bend out.  Still worked, but was a bit harder to push.

I looked for a true "heavy duty" set, but couldn't find anything less than $500.  The redhound auto ones worked, but I agree, not a long term solution.

Gotcha!  That makes a little more sense. 

I would think it would be a pain to them offload them off the dollies once you had them up against the wall. My thought would have been to leave them on there, but I see where you are going with that now.