Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

General Malibu/Axis towing poll

Wavemaker

Just curious how everyone uses their tow vehicles. Completely Anonymous poll  

152 members have voted

1. 1. The following is the best way to describe my towing setup:

• My total trailer/boat weight is 1-500 pounds over either my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • My total trailer/boat weight is 500-1000 pounds over my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • My total trailer/boat weight is 1000-1500 pounds over my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • My total trailer/boat weight is over 1500 pounds over my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • I THINK my tow vehicle, it's receiver hitch, tow mount and ball are all rated above my trailer/ boat weight.
    • I KNOW for sure that my tow vehicle, it's receiver hitch, tow mount and ball are all rated above my trailer/ boat weight.

I remember looking at an older f350 sticker on the hitch and It was only like 7500lbs if I remember correctly with a ball hitch, still not enough for my boat. Can someone with a 3/4, 1 ton look and see what it says without a wd hitch on their hitch. 

30 minutes ago, wdr said:

On my 6.2 Sierra Denali the hitch tag says "1200 tongue" and 12,000 tow load" with the disclaimer that the tow vehicle rating may vary.

What does it say for wd hitch?

2005 F250 with mega mods and Pac-Brake air bags/not lifted. I think I'm gonna be ok. Towing capacity is one thing,  I don't want what I'm going to tow to push me around.

4 hours ago, wdr said:

On my 6.2 Sierra Denali the hitch tag says "1200 tongue" and 12,000 tow load" with the disclaimer that the tow vehicle rating may vary.

Does your truck have the optional Max Trailering Package? That would required for the 12k tow load.

now that I have taken the poll ... well ... I guess I'm an idiot ... or not ... but the tongue weight will probably put me into that category ...

so after reading this thread and finally taking a picture of the trailer hitch sticker ...

sticker says a lot of things including the mentioning of a weight distribution but the numbers in the columns are the same 7200/576 lbs.

so towing my 2017 23LSV was probably a stretch on the tongue weight ... considering that I normally tow about an hour twice a year to storage and back and occasionally to the launch 5 minutes away to exchange damaged props but I know that my new toy will be even heavier ...

so I guess I need to buy a truck now too?!  why do I not get excited about this prospect ...

Does your truck have the optional Max Trailering Package? That would required for the 12k tow load.

Not that I am aware of. I think that the hitch was installed in support of that option. I have the trailer brake control and the trans cooler, but nothing else that would indicate an MTP option like upgraded shocks or springs and coils.

40 minutes ago, jk13 said:

There are more involved tow ratings than the broad model of truck. 

For example I was looking at used Ram 1500s and they can vary from over 10k down to 3300 depending on body configuration and drivetrain in the same model year:

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2012/docs/ram/rammlup1500.pdf

The other big thing, for those wanting to stay within the manufacture specifications, is cargo carrying capacity.  RAM 1500's are low.  So is Toyota, especially with the Crew Max.  A lot of times the 1500's will have less than 1300 CCC.  I have seen them as low as 900 pounds.

So, if you add 700 pounds of tongue weight (which might be low for an 8000 pound or more boat), that leaves you 600 pounds of additional capacity if you are at that 1300 rating.  That is for people, gear, everything.  Which isn't much.

I'd be willing to bet a large amount of money that many people, including those that answered this poll thinking they are under their weight ratings, are not.

Here is the sticker on my hitch on my 2018  2500HD Denali crew cab with the 6.5 bed. It’s  1500 and 18000 lbs although my engine (6.6 turbo diesel) and axle ratio is listed at 13,500  or 14,000 max towing. 

CDC00DF5-AC80-4437-A7A8-515F8609547E.jpeg

On ‎8‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:55 AM, RyanB said:

The results of this poll are significantly different than what you would find if you actually went out and took a sample at my local lake.

And, for the record, I don't know of anywhere that the manufactures ratings hold any legal standing.  And, contrary to many's belief, they also are extremely unlikely to have any impact on an insurance company paying a loss in the event of an accident.  

Does anyone on this board pay attention to what those overseas (especially down under) are towing with?  Little SUVs and cars towing large boats and RVs.  That said, I have towed over the manufactures weight restrictions, and can say first hand, that my towing experience with a vehicle that is  well under its tow ratings is a much more pleasant experience than towing one that is at its capacity.

Being from down under I watch these threads with a smirk, yes we tow with little SUV's and Ute's. Little in comparison to those in the US. You cant get most of the vehicles discussed here in Aus.

Our trailer regs must be a lot different though, over ride brakes on at least one axle are mandatory from 750kg(1654lbs)-2000kg(4409lbs) with brakes on every wheel, override controllable from the drive seat with breakaway protection from 2000kg(4409lbs) to 3500kg(7716lbs) after that you are into heavy vehicle regs and licences.

So yes we tow with smaller vehicles but with what would seem to be better braking.

That's a good point about the brakes. I think a good poll would be "how often do you inspect your trailer brakes?"

I thought our boat trailer was stopping pretty good, has surge system with drum brakes on both axles. IT wasn't as good as the prior boat trailer but that had discs on both axles. I figured the discrepancy was drum vs disc thing. It took one wheel start locking up on the trailer during braking for me to realize it was the only brake working. It was locking because all the hydraulic volume was going to the one cylinder. The rest were frozen. They looked good on visual inspection, the pads were all touching the drum, but they did little to nothing in the stopping category. After replacing all the backing plates and pads, the trailer stopped that much better. If I had a larger boat like many of the newer tow barges I would definitely look into electric over hydraulic for that much better control, especially if I was towing near capacity.

2014 Silverado High Country Premium, 6.2L 4x4. It DOES have the brake controller that comes with Premium. Based on RPO codes, it does NOT have Max Trailering Package.

The hitch itself is still rated at 1,200 tongue / 12,000 Max trailer. It doesn't say anything about WDH vs Traditional.

1 hour ago, Falko said:

That's a good point about the brakes. I think a good poll would be "how often do you inspect your trailer brakes?"

I thought our boat trailer was stopping pretty good, has surge system with drum brakes on both axles. IT wasn't as good as the prior boat trailer but that had discs on both axles. I figured the discrepancy was drum vs disc thing. It took one wheel start locking up on the trailer during braking for me to realize it was the only brake working. It was locking because all the hydraulic volume was going to the one cylinder. The rest were frozen. They looked good on visual inspection, the pads were all touching the drum, but they did little to nothing in the stopping category. After replacing all the backing plates and pads, the trailer stopped that much better. If I had a larger boat like many of the newer tow barges I would definitely look into electric over hydraulic for that much better control, especially if I was towing near capacity.

With surge brakes, they do nothing when you're backing the boat into the water right? The boat and trailer can pull the whole thing down the ramp out of control. The tow vehicle is the only thing keeping the rig from sliding down a slick ramp right?

I hate surge brakes. I have a nice adjustable gain, brake controller and would like to use it to its capacity.

58 minutes ago, SafeGate said:

With surge brakes, they do nothing when you're backing the boat into the water right? The boat and trailer can pull the whole thing down the ramp out of control. The tow vehicle is the only thing keeping the rig from sliding down a slick ramp right?

I hate surge brakes. I have a nice adjustable gain, brake controller and would like to use it to its capacity.

You can go full electric, they make a waterproof system which is pricey. Most boat trailers end up going electric over hydraulic which is more reasonable and gives you the ability to run your brake controller. But you are correct, surge brakes do nothing for you backing down a ramp. In fact, a disc brake trailer has to have a bypass valve or manual block installed to back up. The discs are a little more forgiving.

15 hours ago, strada1 said:

Being from down under I watch these threads with a smirk, yes we tow with little SUV's and Ute's. Little in comparison to those in the US. You cant get most of the vehicles discussed here in Aus.

Our trailer regs must be a lot different though, over ride brakes on at least one axle are mandatory from 750kg(1654lbs)-2000kg(4409lbs) with brakes on every wheel, override controllable from the drive seat with breakaway protection from 2000kg(4409lbs) to 3500kg(7716lbs) after that you are into heavy vehicle regs and licences.

So yes we tow with smaller vehicles but with what would seem to be better braking.

I suspect that there is not a lot of 200 mile towing at 70+ MPH in Australia with those little SUV's and utes.  The folks from Europe are always talking about the tow capacities of things like VW Golfs, but again towing would tend to be pretty short distances and lower speeds.  I would be plenty confident towing my VTX with a 46 Willys jeep if I just needed to go down the block to the launch ;)

On 2/9/2018 at 8:25 AM, SafeGate said:

also with surge brakes they can stop you from backing up hill.(unique safety feature)

26 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

This video really sums everything up and puts it all together 

I met up up with the KYD crew a few months ago. Great people and a pretty cool youtube channel.

• Like 1
On 10/02/2018 at 4:58 AM, oldjeep said:

I suspect that there is not a lot of 200 mile towing at 70+ MPH in Australia with those little SUV's and utes.  The folks from Europe are always talking about the tow capacities of things like VW Golfs, but again towing would tend to be pretty short distances and lower speeds.  I would be plenty confident towing my VTX with a 46 Willys jeep if I just needed to go down the block to the launch ;)

75mph no, highest posted speed limit is 110kph (68mph roughly) 200 mile wouldn’t be overly unusual for some.

My weekly is about 75 mile each way through a mix of suburbia expressway country road and goat track.

Suburbia is when I really need the brakes most.

After watching this video, I am just barely in my limits when pulling my 24ft boat/trailer....with my 2016 Chevy 1500 with trailer package, 5.3 engine and 3.42 gears (I have 12k rated solid steel ball combo... and receiver is stamped with 1200lb tongue and 12k trailer max). I am well in towing limits of my truck for the boat (rated @ 9200lbs for my truck), which is what I had looked at before, but the GVWCR is what gets me close to max of 15,000 lbs, depending on how many people/gear/lead I have in truck (boat/trailer is 7500 and truck is around 6000lbs "wet", so gives me about 1500lbs for gear and people). Due to a 2014 tandem Boatmate trailer with good dual disc brakes, I have never felt even close to unsafe braking and power has always been fine since I drive conservatively with my truck when towing, only time I gotta back off is when going up mountains which I only do once or twice a year.

Was specific with the info cause I figured someone else may find it helpful if they have similar truck (many 5.3 engines do not have the 3.42 gears tho which would lower the towing capacity). I had to do some digging to find out the specifics on my truck. Some online and some in my owners manual looking up the numbers listed in my glove box, which is how I found out what gears I had and if it was the max trailer package or not. The 6.2 engine can get you up to 12,500 towing capacity, the 5.3 up too 11,500. Solid truck, have always like Chevy and like the looks of the 2019 and will probably upgrade to that model when it comes out, maybe with the new 3.0 desiel engine they are advertising for the 2019, 1500 truck. I have had several 3/4 ton's in past but currently don't pull anything heavier than my boat, usually shorter distances and its my daily driver for work, so nice that I can stay with this since an average of 19MPG is not bad for a truck. They are saying that 3.0 desiel will average 30MPG!

Good thread, very informative and its good to get this out there cause lots of people done think about things like this and it can cause bad situations.