Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

General Malibu/Axis towing poll

Wavemaker

Just curious how everyone uses their tow vehicles. Completely Anonymous poll  

152 members have voted

1. 1. The following is the best way to describe my towing setup:

• My total trailer/boat weight is 1-500 pounds over either my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • My total trailer/boat weight is 500-1000 pounds over my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • My total trailer/boat weight is 1000-1500 pounds over my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • My total trailer/boat weight is over 1500 pounds over my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • I THINK my tow vehicle, it's receiver hitch, tow mount and ball are all rated above my trailer/ boat weight.
    • I KNOW for sure that my tow vehicle, it's receiver hitch, tow mount and ball are all rated above my trailer/ boat weight.

32 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

Been looking for a wing ever since seen this rig. Talk about fast and furious pulling the boat out at ramp. Way more style points..

I heard it adds 2k lbs to your towing capacity. I wonder if it flips up and acts as a brake too.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have one of the weight gauge hitches and pulled the boat out today to take it in for its first service. I have a 2018 22VLX. Here is a pic of the weight gauge. Looks like it is right around maybe 225. Need to run it by the cat scales when I pick it back up and get an accurate weight on the trailer so I’ll post that up when I get that done. 

37050A5E-F15B-4C69-AC56-836EBF8C760F.jpeg

53D09602-0F1B-458A-B0D8-345F59AA720B.jpeg

• Like 2

If it is accurate you should be taking the trailer back to the manufacturer to move the axles.

Boats dry weight of roughly 4500lbs plus trailer of 1k so 5500lbs with a tongue weight of 225 is only 4%. Definitely not balanced well. 

2 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

If it is accurate you should be taking the trailer back to the manufacturer to move the axles.

Boats dry weight of roughly 4500lbs plus trailer of 1k so 5500lbs with a tongue weight of 225 is only 4%. Definitely not balanced well. 

Right, it would sway horribly on the highway and be unsafe.

11 hours ago, cowwboy said:

My 2012 is over 6,000lb. Bet this 2018 is more.

Well stopped by the cat scales when I picked it from the first service. Think when I took the earlier pic it was at an angle so  looked  at my hitch before I unhooked it and did say 300 when level. But is still off with actual weight of 800 tongue weight.  So first weight is my 2017 Chevy 2500 with 1/4 fuel. 2nd one is the tongue weight and 3rd is the axles. Kinda surprised that the total weight with fuel tank of fuel is 7000 lbs. I’ll need to take the trailer up and find out how much it weighs but when I did the tour the factory said the dry weight of 4300 with other options PW,SG 235, G4 tower 275, clamps 50, speakers 50, and 48 gallons of gas 302. Comes to 5212 and would put the trailer at 1788. So definitely a lot heavier than what I thought. But the funny thing is that my truck doesn’t squat at all when I hook it up to the boat. 

95D01957-6C18-4620-8087-2362F11F7F01.jpeg

18 minutes ago, A22tim said:

Well stopped by the cat scales when I picked it from the first service. Think when I took the earlier pic it was at an angle so  looked  at my hitch before I unhooked it and did say 300 when level. But is still off with actual weight of 800 tongue weight.  So first weight is my 2017 Chevy 2500 with 1/4 fuel. 2nd one is the tongue weight and 3rd is the axles. Kinda surprised that the total weight with fuel tank of fuel is 7000 lbs. I’ll need to take the trailer up and find out how much it weighs but when I did the tour the factory said the dry weight of 4300 with other options PW,SG 235, G4 tower 275, clamps 50, speakers 50, and 48 gallons of gas 302. Comes to 5212 and would put the trailer at 1788. So definitely a lot heavier than what I thought. But the funny thing is that my truck doesn’t squat at all when I hook it up to the boat. 

Was that 800lbs what the jack was supporting?  If so, the tongue weight will be significantly less (and the axle weight will go up).

Yeah I used the wheel jack. How much difference would it be. It’s only 1-1.5ft behind the ball. Wouldn’t think it would be much difference at all. Didn’t have anything to place the weight on the full tongue. 

4 hours ago, A22tim said:

Yeah I used the wheel jack. How much difference would it be. It’s only 1-1.5ft behind the ball. Wouldn’t think it would be much difference at all. Didn’t have anything to place the weight on the full tongue. 

You can calculate it.  Just need to make a couple of measurements, mid-point between the axles to jack (j) and mid-point between the axles to hitch (h). 

Then:

tongue weight = 800 * j / h

On 2/7/2018 at 9:51 PM, hethj7 said:

I tried to get setup with a WDH when I got my LSV but gave up.  No clear cut direction for a WDH at the time compatible with a folding tongue and surge brakes. Most companies I called (including Malibu) acted like I was talking a foreign language even asking the question.  

And just for fun, my weigh slip last year.  Basically lightly loaded as boat was just out of storage.  Didn’t get boat and truck separately but you can see the total was13,200 lbs.  Tow vehicle was 2012 F150, screw cab, 4WD.  Sorry, I didn’t note fuel levels.  

B93114BF-CFA4-48DF-BAC4-EF6222B4F091.jpeg

This confuses me...your trailer axles were only 2400lbs?  The steer axle was 6280?  How were you setup on the pads?

That weight slip is wrong. 6280 lb on the front axle of an F150 would crush it. That front axle assembly is probably only rated for 4k. My Ram 3500 is rated for 6k. 

Edited by gorilla
5 hours ago, ilovetrains said:

This confuses me...your trailer axles were only 2400lbs?  The steer axle was 6280?  How were you setup on the pads?

Pay no attention to axles.  I was a fish out of water getting to figure how to get weighed.  Who knows how I was setup but I never put any thought to the breakdowns being accurate. 

Heck, I could barely stand on my truck and reach the teller box as it was so high in the air for the big rigs driver side windows. 

On 4/12/2018 at 7:38 PM, hethj7 said:

Pay no attention to axles.  I was a fish out of water getting to figure how to get weighed.  Who knows how I was setup but I never put any thought to the breakdowns being accurate. 

Heck, I could barely stand on my truck and reach the teller box as it was so high in the air for the big rigs driver side windows. 

lol - yeah I get that.  I did the travel trailer a couple times, they did not mind if the scale was not busy.  It was amazing how much weight I could shift to the front axle with the WD hitch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...