Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

General Malibu/Axis towing poll

Wavemaker

Just curious how everyone uses their tow vehicles. Completely Anonymous poll  

152 members have voted

1. 1. The following is the best way to describe my towing setup:

• My total trailer/boat weight is 1-500 pounds over either my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • My total trailer/boat weight is 500-1000 pounds over my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • My total trailer/boat weight is 1000-1500 pounds over my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • My total trailer/boat weight is over 1500 pounds over my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • I THINK my tow vehicle, it's receiver hitch, tow mount and ball are all rated above my trailer/ boat weight.
    • I KNOW for sure that my tow vehicle, it's receiver hitch, tow mount and ball are all rated above my trailer/ boat weight.

So I was initially one of those who voted that my receiver hitch was not up to the weight ratings of my boat/trailer.  I have a F150 with a factory hitch that is only rated to 5000#s.  Only option was to purchase another hitch that Curt Manufacturing makes that attaches underneath the factory hitch.  Looks a little odd but I am now up to standards! It was a tricky install due to the video instructions being off on where to fish the bolts and washers for the rear attachment. If anyone does this install in the future just DM me and I'll help you out with everything I learned. 

doublehitch.jpg

hitchratings.jpg

10 minutes ago, Wavemaker said:

So I was initially one of those who voted that my receiver hitch was not up to the weight ratings of my boat/trailer.  I have a F150 with a factory hitch that is only rated to 5000#s.  Only option was to purchase another hitch that Curt Manufacturing makes that attaches underneath the factory hitch.  Looks a little odd but I am now up to standards! It was a tricky install due to the video instructions being off on where to fish the bolts and washers for the rear attachment. If anyone does this install in the future just DM me and I'll help you out with everything I learned. 

doublehitch.jpg

hitchratings.jpg

While I applaud you for doing everything possible in the name of safety do you really think it will make any difference? I know the insurance and liability thing has been discussed here many times and I can’t see that ever being even known to look at in the case of an accident. Also just because you added a hitch that will take more weight does it change the carrying limits of the truck? For example you can add air bags to the truck and be able to carry more weight but it wont change the payload capacity of the truck. Interesting enough my 2018 f150 no longer has that sticker on the hitch and there is nowhere I can find what capacity it tows without wd hitch. 

37 minutes ago, Wavemaker said:

Putting a larger capacity hitch is a good idea, provided you checked the chart on Ford's towing guide to be sure the truck itself is within limit:

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_F150_Sep7.pdf

12 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

I cant say I understand whats going on here. Why two hitches? 

OEM hitch is not removable. Only way to get more capacity is to add a heavier hitch below. Same as the old Explorers that came with a 1.25" hitch, only way to get a 2" was to add one below. 

49 minutes ago, Txstoj said:

@Wavemaker how much of a rise are you going to have to put on there to get the trailer level?

I have a ball mount that has a 2" drop and 3/4" rise.  With the ball mounted on the rise and put in the lower hitch it is the same level minus about 1/4" as it is with the ball mounted on the drop of the the mount and slid into the top receiver.  Should be very close to level as that's how I towed my last boat and it was level.

mountedball.jpg

Edited by Wavemaker
added picture
1 hour ago, jk13 said:

Putting a larger capacity hitch is a good idea, provided you checked the chart on Ford's towing guide to be sure the truck itself is within limit:

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_F150_Sep7.pdf

I knew the truck had a 7600lb towing capacity when I bought it.  The problem was I wrongly assumed the OEM trailer hitch would be rated enough for the truck.  It would have been so easy for Ford to have just put the correct rated hitch on in the first place!! 

2 hours ago, wheelman said:

While I applaud you for doing everything possible in the name of safety do you really think it will make any difference? I know the insurance and liability thing has been discussed here many times and I can’t see that ever being even known to look at in the case of an accident. Also just because you added a hitch that will take more weight does it change the carrying limits of the truck? For example you can add air bags to the truck and be able to carry more weight but it wont change the payload capacity of the truck. Interesting enough my 2018 f150 no longer has that sticker on the hitch and there is nowhere I can find what capacity it tows without wd hitch. 

Nope, I really don't think it will make a difference and my OEM hitch would have probably worked fine, but now I can rest easy :)  (but insurance companies could very well check towing legalities if there was an accident involving the equipment being towed) And don't you think I would have made sure my trucks towing capacity was enough before I bought and installed a higher rated hitch? lol  The sticker to your hitch should be on the very bottom - it also might be written in the actual hitch and very hard to find/read.

Edited by Wavemaker
1 hour ago, Wavemaker said:

Nope, I really don't think it will make a difference and my OEM hitch would have probably worked fine, but now I can rest easy :)  (but insurance companies could very well check towing legalities if there was an accident involving the equipment being towed) And don't you think I would have made sure my trucks towing capacity was enough before I bought and installed a higher rated hitch? lol  The sticker to your hitch should be on the very bottom - it also might be written in the actual hitch and very hard to find/read.

I know your truck can tow the weight but ford specs anything above 5000lbs must have a wd hitch. My point was just cause you put on a hitch that can tow more with a ball hitch insurance companies, lawyers, Ford, etc could say the truck still can’t tow more without a wd hitch. A wd hitch will not only take tongue weight off the hitch, it will also distribute the load across the whole vehicle. This changing your braking, steering, stability, etc. So where does it end? Are you legal now? Still debatable. Hopefully it never comes to that for any of us. 

My 15 and 16 f150’s had the sticker, for the life of me I can’t find anything on my 18. Will look again. 

On 2/8/2018 at 11:05 AM, wheelman said:

I remember looking at an older f350 sticker on the hitch and It was only like 7500lbs if I remember correctly with a ball hitch, still not enough for my boat. Can someone with a 3/4, 1 ton look and see what it says without a wd hitch on their hitch. 

my 2500 Ram Diesel has a class 5 hitch. 2.5in receiver. tow 17000 lbs. tongue weight 2550 lbs. stock from Ram.

ahopkins22LSV
12 minutes ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Necessary evil. Company colors are green and black, and I’m not a big fan of green boats.

Haha I figured. Sounds like it’s time to change the company colors though. ;)

Thats a sick setup and the new xstar was damn impressive at the boat show. What’s crazy is how big the boat still looks behind a big tractor!

Edited by ahopkinsTXi
  • Like 1
On 2/8/2018 at 3:59 PM, RCorsa said:

Here is the sticker on my hitch on my 2018  2500HD Denali crew cab with the 6.5 bed. It’s  1500 and 18000 lbs although my engine (6.6 turbo diesel) and axle ratio is listed at 13,500  or 14,000 max towing. 

CDC00DF5-AC80-4437-A7A8-515F8609547E.jpeg

Am I the only one who thinks this looks weird?  That doesn’t look like 18000 lbs. or the equivalent 8165 kg.

Heres a close up...

6404695C-E7BC-4461-BC0F-6EF0860BB950.png

• Like 2
5 hours ago, IXFE said:

Am I the only one who thinks this looks weird?  That doesn’t look like 18000 lbs. or the equivalent 8165 kg.

Heres a close up...

6404695C-E7BC-4461-BC0F-6EF0860BB950.png

Ya, it's 13k (5072 kg)

I don't think any 2500 or 3500 pickups are rated to tow 18k off the hitch...... only a 5th wheel.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Ya, it's 13k (5072 kg)

I don't think any 2500 or 3500 pickups are rated to tow 18k off the hitch...... only a 5th wheel.

Here’s the hitch & sticker on my new F-250. I’m one of the people who voted that I’m well within the limits. 

12CDB145-4B4B-4EAA-901C-852A06748A14.jpeg

7261F195-1D00-4574-AD7C-0004F14F9DA6.jpeg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, IXFE said:

Here’s the hitch & sticker on my new F-250. I’m one of the people who voted that I’m well within the limits. 

12CDB145-4B4B-4EAA-901C-852A06748A14.jpeg

7261F195-1D00-4574-AD7C-0004F14F9DA6.jpeg

Ford FINALLY listened. My 2015 F-250 diesel has a max conventional weight of 8,500, but 12,000 with weight distributing. Have you looked at the limits for choked down 2" receiver as pictured vs. the 2 1/2" receiver? I don't remember if mine cares.

Believe it or not, it's often payload you have to watch out for if not the hitch weight on mine. 

1 hour ago, SafeGate said:

Ford FINALLY listened. My 2015 F-250 diesel has a max conventional weight of 8,500, but 12,000 with weight distributing. Have you looked at the limits for choked down 2" receiver as pictured vs. the 2 1/2" receiver? I don't remember if mine cares.

Believe it or not, it's often payload you have to watch out for if not the hitch weight on mine. 

Not sure, although I’ve been shopping for new hitches and planning to upgrade to 2.5” shank (ie pulling out that sleeve).  

I like this one...Weigh Safe 6” drop (I may go 8”) with 2.5” shank and integrated tongue weight gauge. It comes with 2” and 2 5/16” balls. It’s rated for 14,500 lbs. (total) and 2,200 lbs (tongue). 

7AA7FEDF-65B9-41A3-8ECA-953AEC189A84.jpeg

I have a 2.5in receiver on my 2500 Ram. it has a 2.3125 in ball.  the male portion is  rated at 13 or 14k . well below 17k and 2.5k TW.  my Ram doesn't require WD. the weigh safe looks interesting.

Just now, carguy79ta said:

I have a 2.5in receiver on my 2500 Ram. it has a 2.3125 in ball.  the male portion is  rated at 13 or 14k . well below 17k and 2.5k TW.  my Ram doesn't require WD. the weigh safe looks interesting.

Yeah, the guys on the Super Duty forum all rave about the Weigh Safe. Reviews are mixed on the tongue gauge. Fortunately they make one without it also. 

www.weigh-safe.com

E91592C6-0B58-48C9-83C8-B55C6AB4AA9B.jpeg

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

Yeah, the guys on the Super Duty forum all rave about the Weigh Safe. Reviews are mixed on the tongue gauge. Fortunately they make one without it also. 

www.weigh-safe.com

E91592C6-0B58-48C9-83C8-B55C6AB4AA9B.jpeg

I really like mine. 

Dave