Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

General Malibu/Axis towing poll

Wavemaker

Just curious how everyone uses their tow vehicles. Completely Anonymous poll  

152 members have voted

1. 1. The following is the best way to describe my towing setup:

• My total trailer/boat weight is 1-500 pounds over either my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • My total trailer/boat weight is 500-1000 pounds over my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • My total trailer/boat weight is 1000-1500 pounds over my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • My total trailer/boat weight is over 1500 pounds over my rated maximum hitch weight or tow vehicle capacity.
    • I THINK my tow vehicle, it's receiver hitch, tow mount and ball are all rated above my trailer/ boat weight.
    • I KNOW for sure that my tow vehicle, it's receiver hitch, tow mount and ball are all rated above my trailer/ boat weight.

Tow vehicle ratings-

GVWR-59,200 lbs

GCWR-112,000 lbs

Hitch Assy-  Class V 20,000 lbs GTW

Tongue weight max 1200 lbs

Ball rating- 12,000 lbs

Boat plus fuel/gear/trailer est. 8000-9000 lbs. Tongue weight should be around 500 lbs

Im good :)

1 hour ago, TenTwentyOne said:

Tow vehicle ratings-

GVWR-59,200 lbs

GCWR-112,000 lbs

Hitch Assy-  Class V 20,000 lbs GTW

Tongue weight max 1200 lbs

Ball rating- 12,000 lbs

Boat plus fuel/gear/trailer est. 8000-9000 lbs. Tongue weight should be around 500 lbs

Im good :)

I want to see pictures of this rig!

1 hour ago, dinovtx said:

I have had the opportunity to tow our 2014 VTX with both my parents 2014 Durango, my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and my wife's 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. Out of all of them the Durango was the best, then the pathfinder then the jeep. I towed half way across the country from Missouri to North Carolina with the Durango and it was fantastic. Engine needed to Rev faster going up the hills but never ran out of steam even on the steepest hills around Knoxville TN it still had enough power to accelerate up the hills and stop. The vehicle never felt like it was getting pushed by the boat. The Jeep is another story, although the Jeep and Durango are basically the same vehicle the wheelbase hurts the Jeep getting pushed around. I never felt unsafe in any of them and they are all in the legal limits but maybe not the most robust tow vehicles. For my needs only be towing a few times a year to the dealership the jeep works great as a primary commuter into a metro area with small parking spots and the occasional legal tow vehicle when needed. Understand the big push for half ton or larger tow vehicles but they just don't fit the 95% need of a commuter vehicle in the city. 

2014 VTX single axle trailer. 5000-6000lbs Estimate

Durango v6 4x4 tow rating 6200lbs

Jeep Grand Cherokee v6 4x4 6200lbs

Nissan Pathfinder v6 4x2 6000lbs

IMG_20170606_0734409.jpg

And now you can get a Durango with an 8700# tow rating (SAE J2807 certified), 6 piston Brembos,  and stiffer suspension :).... oh.. and a few ponies under the hood :).  It was just too tempting and I had to pick one up to tow around the 'Bu. :)

d1.JPG

• Like 2

The results of this poll are significantly different than what you would find if you actually went out and took a sample at my local lake.

And, for the record, I don't know of anywhere that the manufactures ratings hold any legal standing.  And, contrary to many's belief, they also are extremely unlikely to have any impact on an insurance company paying a loss in the event of an accident.  

Does anyone on this board pay attention to what those overseas (especially down under) are towing with?  Little SUVs and cars towing large boats and RVs.  That said, I have towed over the manufactures weight restrictions, and can say first hand, that my towing experience with a vehicle that is  well under its tow ratings is a much more pleasant experience than towing one that is at its capacity.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, RyanB said:

The results of this poll are significantly different than what you would find if you actually went out and took a sample at my local lake.

And, for the record, I don't know of anywhere that the manufactures ratings hold any legal standing.  And, contrary to many's belief, they also are extremely unlikely to have any impact on an insurance company paying a loss in the event of an accident.  

Does anyone on this board pay attention to what those overseas (especially down under) are towing with?  Little SUVs and cars towing large boats and RVs.  That said, I have towed over the manufactures weight restrictions, and can say first hand, that my towing experience with a vehicle that is  well under its tow ratings is a much more pleasant experience than towing one that is at its capacity.

:plus1:  you said it nicer than I would have.  I doubt many of the respondents even asked their husbands.

I've never actually checked the ball/hitch receiver or whatever. We used to tow our A20 with a Honda Pilot 4wd. That was definitely AT capacity. Now we have an A22 and a 6.2L Silverado. I'm STILL not sure if my truck is equipped with the Max Tow package or not. I can't seem to figure out how to distinguish that.

4 hours ago, twitchee2 said:

I want to see pictures of this rig!

I’ll take some pics when I pick up the boat in a few weeks. I didn’t like the fact that my Raptor was way underrated for towing, so I put a hitch on my semi-tractor.

4 hours ago, RyanB said:

I also think we need to remember the sample group here... we are all pretty passionate about our boats... and in most cases have the resources to purchase the appropriate tow vehicle (including the option to purchase a dedicated "extra" vehicle for towing around our boats.)  I am sure it is extremely rare that someone shows up and buys a $100+k (or even $50 preowned) wakeboat and tows it home with a 1990's mini-van or compact crossover suv. Sure.. it happens... but I am guessing that isn't most people that own Malibu's and spend time on TMC (heck.. I feel like the minority around here because I am in the camp that you don't need a full sized truck/SUV to tow safely)  The local launch ramp is certainly a very different story than this forum... at the end of a good day at the lake I love just sitting on the back and watching the craziness and some the cars people tow with.... great people watching (and I have watched a few end up at the bottom of the lake.) 

51 minutes ago, gregtay said:

I also think we need to remember the sample group here... we are all pretty passionate about our boats... and in most cases have the resources to purchase the appropriate tow vehicle (including the option to purchase a dedicated "extra" vehicle for towing around our boats.)  I am sure it is extremely rare that someone shows up and buys a $100+k (or even $50 preowned) wakeboat and tows it home with a 1990's mini-van or compact crossover suv. Sure.. it happens... but I am guessing that isn't most people that own Malibu's and spend time on TMC (heck.. I feel like the minority around here because I am in the camp that you don't need a full sized truck/SUV to tow safely)  The local launch ramp is certainly a very different story than this forum... at the end of a good day at the lake I love just sitting on the back and watching the craziness and some the cars people tow with.... great people watching (and I have watched a few end up at the bottom of the lake.) 

Agreed mostly.  But if you have seen any modern Malibu being towed by a 2007 + full size General Motors SUV, you have seen someone towing overweight.  Sounds like it is true on many of the F150s as well.  I am sure there others.  

Point is, its not just people towing with minivans and old SUVs that are overweight.

Edited by RyanB
4 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

I've never actually checked the ball/hitch receiver or whatever. We used to tow our A20 with a Honda Pilot 4wd. That was definitely AT capacity. Now we have an A22 and a 6.2L Silverado. I'm STILL not sure if my truck is equipped with the Max Tow package or not. I can't seem to figure out how to distinguish that.

Look underneath the receiver hitch on your Silverado - there will be a sticker with the tow ratings.  I'm guessing it will say 500 tongue, 5,000 total weight.  It will probably also give some much higher numbers if you attach a weight distribution mechanism.  I'd be be curious what you find - report back if you don't mind!!

20 minutes ago, MadMan said:

This one does the quarter mile in 11.6 sec, and has a 7200 lb tow capacity.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/02/07/2018-jeep-grand-cherokee-trackhawk-review-all-powerful-suv.html

My wife has the non-supercharged version (Jeep SRT) with the same tow rating. Tows great and pretty much forget the boat is back there.  I was going to order a Trackhawk for myself but I ended up with the Durango SRT as it was just a great value for what you got and we really wanted something with 3 rows and more cargo space (and 100k for a Jeep was a little hard to swallow.)  The Durango tows 8700#s and does it with ease.   I think the biggest issue with most "smaller"  tow vehicles is stopping power... and getting something like a Cayenne GTS/Turbo, AMG Merc, and something like an SRT... they come with a brake package designed for the track and that translates to more than enough stopping power.  I previously towed with a V10TDI Touareg  (with huge Brembo's) and was awesome all around when it came to towing my 23LSV.

23 hours ago, oldjeep said:

As long as your drawbar and ball are rated high enough.  It is amazing how many people stick a 5k receiver and ball into a class 4 hitch. 

yeah I hear you.  have a class 5 hitch 2.5in receiver.  2.3125in ball.  13000 ball. 

1 hour ago, RyanB said:

Agreed mostly.  But if you have seen any modern Malibu being towed by a 2007 + full size General Motors SUV, you have seen someone towing overweight.  Sounds like it is true on many of the F150s as well.  I am sure there others.  

Point is, its not just people towing with minivans and old SUVs that are overweight.

I believe the Tahoe is 8600#... And while that might be over the limit for a new 23 or 24' Malibu, I think you are likely fine with a new 21 or 22' 'bu.  I think a 22 VLX lists at 4300#... that leaves another 4300# for options, gear, trailer, fuel, etc.  You might get close to the rating for a Tahoe... but no, I don't think anything towing a new Malibu with a GM full sized SUV is over their tow rating.

Like Ryan said all the half tons are over technically over weight if you are not using a weight distribution hitch. My 2018 f150 has a 13200lb tow capacity with a wd hitch but a 5000lb with a regular ball hitch. This discussion has been had many times on tmc. Still don’t know if anyone towing with a wd hitch for a wake boat. 

I tried to get setup with a WDH when I got my LSV but gave up.  No clear cut direction for a WDH at the time compatible with a folding tongue and surge brakes. Most companies I called (including Malibu) acted like I was talking a foreign language even asking the question.  

And just for fun, my weigh slip last year.  Basically lightly loaded as boat was just out of storage.  Didn’t get boat and truck separately but you can see the total was13,200 lbs.  Tow vehicle was 2012 F150, screw cab, 4WD.  Sorry, I didn’t note fuel levels.  

B93114BF-CFA4-48DF-BAC4-EF6222B4F091.jpeg

Edited by hethj7
45 minutes ago, gregtay said:

I believe the Tahoe is 8600#... And while that might be over the limit for a new 23 or 24' Malibu, I think you are likely fine with a new 21 or 22' 'bu.  I think a 22 VLX lists at 4300#... that leaves another 4300# for options, gear, trailer, fuel, etc.  You might get close to the rating for a Tahoe... but no, I don't think anything towing a new Malibu with a GM full sized SUV is over their tow rating.

Here is the sticker you will find on the hitch of a full size GM SUV.

5dMFfqr.jpg

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, RyanB said:

Here is the sticker you will find on the hitch of a full size GM SUV.

5dMFfqr.jpg

This is actually why I started this poll.  No offense to those that said they "know" they are within limits, but I bet at least a few of those that voted that way don't realize that their receiver hitch is only rated to 5,000 #s   I just found out a couple days ago because on a whim I decided to crawl under my truck and take a look.  I don't know why GM, Ford and other manufactures do this because putting on a class IV  receiver rated to 10,000 #s   would not have been much more expensive at all.  Now we are stuck with a receiver that HAS to stay on the vehicle because the bumper is attached to the receiver hitch. (the hitch is attached to the frame) One option besides WD hitch is to buy the class IV hitch that fits underneath - like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/F-150/2017/C14016.html?vehicleid=201733000 but I kinda think it looks awkward hanging underneath and having 2 receiver hitches  :/ 

16 minutes ago, Wavemaker said:

This is actually why I started this poll.  No offense to those that said they "know" they are within limits, but I bet at least a few of those that voted that way don't realize that their receiver hitch is only rated to 5,000 #s   I just found out a couple days ago because on a whim I decided to crawl under my truck and take a look.  I don't know why GM, Ford and other manufactures do this because putting on a class IV  receiver rated to 10,000 #s   would not have been much more expensive at all.  Now we are stuck with a receiver that HAS to stay on the vehicle because the bumper is attached to the receiver hitch. (the hitch is attached to the frame) One option besides WD hitch is to buy the class IV hitch that fits underneath - like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/F-150/2017/C14016.html?vehicleid=201733000 but I kinda think it looks awkward hanging underneath and having 2 receiver hitches  :/ 

Wow, I’d be pissed if I purchased the max tow package on a GM and they sent me home with a class 3 hitch rated to 5k 😳. 

2 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is a waste of time. 

No bubble bursted, not trying to save the towing world!  Just wanted some dialogue about what people use for towing and if they knew what they have - since I just found out a few days ago.  I honestly wonder if those 5000lb hitches are actually plenty safe to tow much higher of a weight.  Perhaps the corporate lawyers got involved to put a low stamp on it so the car manufactures would have a much lower liability rate.  I really don't know but enjoy reading peoples thoughts on it.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Wavemaker said:

Look underneath the receiver hitch on your Silverado - there will be a sticker with the tow ratings.  I'm guessing it will say 500 tongue, 5,000 total weight.  It will probably also give some much higher numbers if you attach a weight distribution mechanism.  I'd be be curious what you find - report back if you don't mind!!

Cool I'll check that later today

10 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is a waste of time. your poll on a Malibu boat forum isn’t likely going to cause awareness, save lives, or make someone change their tow vehicle/ tow vehicle hitch. There have been tons of threads debating tow hitches/towing over the limits, etc. yet I doubt many (if any) have resulted in real action (buying a different tow vehicle or up grading hitch). 

To appease your poll (if it makes you feel better), I tow with a 3/4 ton diesel. 

Not sure why you are being so condescending.  I think it is an interesting topic, and one that most can learn something from.  I see it all the time on forums, this one included.  People saying, well the BrandX pickup is rated to tow 10,000 pounds, so I must be good.  And they never dig deeper to know that 10,000 pounds is "properly equipped".  And even then, there are things like hitch rating, UVW and CCC (among other) to consider.

Back when I had my 2500 Burb, a topic like this is exactly why I dumped the OEM hitch, and went to an upgraded Curt.

So, if this is just a "waste of time", perhaps you would be better served to just move on.

• Like 3

I almost made this fatal flaw as my m235 will be here next month I assumed that I only needed a 1500/150 to tow it easily since the dry Weight was only 6300.  Luckily my good friend owns a trucking company and convinced me that was a bad idea for a number of safety reasons.   He also said “tow like a man”. As such I decided on a new 2500 Denali with the 6.6l turbo diesel which I think was the right option considering all in I’m looking at more like 8-9k.