Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

No water out of Exhaust after Impeller & FAE install

Recently added FAE and just changed the impeller.  Weather was nice today so I got out and hooked up the FakeALake to get some gas ran through the engine with the Gas Stabilizer.  Motor was completely drained previously.  Cranked up, let it run but water never came out of the FAE.  Verified that the water strainer/filter just off the inlet hose had been refilled and when I pulled the blue drain plugs from the different locations water came out as expected.  Prior to FAE & impeller change, water came out no problem of the exhaust port.  The engine was getting water apparently it just wasn't coming out of the exhaust like it's done in the past.

I also noticed that the amount of water spilling out of the FakeALake didn't change much once the engine was started (in the past not much at all would spill out once started).

Temp got up to 130 before I killed the engine, didn't want to roast anything.  Unfortunately I did not feel the front of the impeller housing to see if it was cool/hot to the touch.

Thoughts?  Bad positioning on the FakeALake?  Think the impeller is shot?  

@Kblagg:  Your thermostat opening temperature is above 130 so the only water coming out would have been from the bypass circuit.  So you probably filled up the block & intake manifold but did not run long enough or hot enough to open the thermostat although you should have seen a small amount of water come out the exhaust.  Did you touch / feel the exhaust manifolds to see if they were overly hot?  The other item is to burp or prime the raw water pump, you do that by blipping or giving the engine some throttle so the raw water pump spins faster than idle, that should create a draw to ensure you fill the system.  You might simply inspect the impeller and try again ensuring the fake a lake is secure.

Water should come out normally. Is there a flapper on your FAE install?

Is there a ball valve on the water inlet that goes to the impeller? Were any hoses removed/replaced during winterization?

1 minute ago, Woodski said:

@Kblagg:  Your thermostat opening temperature is above 130 so the only water coming out would have been from the bypass circuit.  So you probably filled up the block & intake manifold but did not run long enough or hot enough to open the thermostat although you should have seen a small amount of water come out the exhaust.  Did you touch / feel the exhaust manifolds to see if they were overly hot?  The other item is to burp or prime the raw water pump, you do that by blipping or giving the engine some throttle so the raw water pump spins faster than idle, that should create a draw to ensure you fill the system.  You might simply inspect the impeller and try again ensuring the fake a lake is secure.

The exhaust manifolds didn't seem overly hot.  I also distinct remember that last time I used the FakeALake, you could see a "cyclone" inside the strainer/filter and could tell the water was flowing.  Didn't not notice that this time.  We have some more 60 degree days coming up so I'll try to bump the throttle just a bit to see if that helps prime it.

1 minute ago, SafeGate said:

Water should come out normally. Is there a flapper on your FAE install?

Is there a ball valve on the water inlet that goes to the impeller? Were any hoses removed/replaced during winterization?

Yes, there is a flapper on FAE.  

No hoses were removed/replaced.

Do your manifolds have a drain hose on each that connect together? My axis does. 

If you leave those hoses disconnected, you can start it up and watch the water pour out of them. Shut down, hook them together and restart. Then you know for sure the manifolds are getting water.

Couple options.  

1) pump didnt prime, needed to goose the throttle

2) didnt run long enough to fill the block up. Takes 3-4 gallons before all the hoses, engine and manifolds are full and then you have to fill up that fae bend too. 

I had a friend one time that changed his impeller and the new one was bad...the rubber came loose from the splines immediately, but since it was "new" it took a little bit to find the problem.

I hooked up the FAL again and did the throttle just a hair above idle and within a minute or two water started coming draining from the hole at the base of the FAE. Verified that the impeller cover was cool to the touch. I'm guessing the FAL wasn't lined up just right.  All is well in the world now.  Thanks for the tips!

• Like 2

Pressure from the garden hose alone should prime the raw water pump.  I keep a vigilant eye on my FAL to verify the seal between itself and the boat.

I've never used a plunger style fake a lake. Looks sketchy. My old boat had a transom adapter port for a garden hose. It worked well.

I have a new method. I pull the raw water intake hose from the ball valve. Then I stick the open end in a 5 gallon bucket that i place next to the engine. Then i grab a garden hose, fill the bucket half way, and leave running. Start it up and adjust the incoming water to keep the hose submerged. It's nice when I give it more throttle because the engine takes as much water as it wants (given there's enough in the bucket). 

Just a {cheap} idea.

I have this with a 3' section of hose screwed into the white fitting.  It's so easy to just screw the house hose into the flush pro hose in the rear starboard compartment and start her up.  I don't have to reach down there and shut a valve or anything.  

PER0456DP4-2T.jpg?1470154941

16 hours ago, greg2vlx said:

I had a friend one time that changed his impeller and the new one was bad...the rubber came loose from the splines immediately, but since it was "new" it took a little bit to find the problem.

I must be your friend... this happened to me as well.

3 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

I have this with a 3' section of hose screwed into the white fitting.  It's so easy to just screw the house hose into the flush pro hose in the rear starboard compartment and start her up.  I don't have to reach down there and shut a valve or anything.  

PER0456DP4-2T.jpg?1470154941

^^^ +1

The only way to go! Makes life so easy, and gets you to the Wobbly Pop that much sooner .... lol...

Edited by Dare2goBare

I'll start by saying that I have a partially closed cooled motor, so I don't have the experience with waiting for the block/heads/heater core lines to fill up with water.  That said, it SHOULD eventually come out, and   was spot on with the goosing the throttle statement, as impellers sometimes won't prime without doing it.

Prior to my FAE muffler delete:

When I ran on the Fake-A-Lake, water work squirt out of the weep holes at idle but never through the FAE exhaust outlet, unless I revved the motor.  With the delete, water comes out of the FAE with ease...more proof that FAE + muffler = too much backpressure (the increase in power/top speed was another clear indicator).