Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at a boat tonight! 2010 23LSV

Ryan1776

On 2/13/2018 at 7:39 AM, Ryan1776 said:

I want to get the Wetsounds BT EQ....which by the way? How do you interface that the EQ with the stock system and make it work?

How is that? I looked and it seems like every pump used 3/4" I can't even find other pumps that are larger than that? I'm certainly not arguing with you but it seems like that's what everything is. 

I REALLLLY do not want to run any external sacs whatsoever. We are surfing behind my current 1986 Supra Comp direct drive. I'm sure we'll be able to surf this one too. 

HAHAHAHA! I know!!! Not me. 

I do want to run a transom remote as well. Any suggestions? 

And...how do I post photos??! 

Also, it has the factory 4 tower speakers...how good are these? I know they are not Wetsounds... but I mean are they functional? 

Plumbing changed in mid 2012 when they went from 3/4" to 1" (maybe 1 1/8", Im not certain). Drain and fill times decreased quite a bit. The bags tended to drain slowly and not drain all the way. I'm not a fan of the piggy back system on older boats but it seems to work well for the newer ones. 

IMHO you will need extra ballast. At least 550's or so in a lockers.  I could not get a wave to develop with only stock ballast (listed). I've tried. Remember a '10 LSV is a lot wider than the comp which will take more weight to disrupt the balance and create the list. You can use a suck gate but with no weight in the rear, you might have a tough time getting the gate low enough in the water. To be honest, i have not tried my suck gate with stock ballast. I find that a slight list(i run a significant list with a gate) makes the wave better in my boat ('12 VLX)

might want to look into Exile stuff as an alternative to wetsounds. Similar quality, less cost and other options to run transom remote. I run my system with no head unit. It's my phone to the eq to amps to speakers. (No transom remote)

if it were me, I'd run. The towers as is until you decide for yourself that they aren't cutting it. Just remember what BOAT stands for. 

5 hours ago, asp13 said:

Post some pics of the '86 Comp surf wave!

HOW!!!? haha I can't seem to figure it out.

Never mind. Apparently I need to pay to post...or have my photos hosted elsewhere.. 

Edited by Ryan1776

Here's an old vid. Not a great wave by any means. But as you can tell. Surfable.  I don't know how I missed the last min and half of nothing on the edit. Ah well. 

Edited by Ryan1776

So kinda back to my original question/topic. 

I'll try to capture it all-

• 2010 LSV 534 hours
  • 350ci
  • Key start-no touch pad
  • Power wedge-possible Lencos already changed
  • Stock ballast-with bow
  • Rearmost center seat recovered-two rear corner seats need repair, mainly the corners- but usable
  • Top of bow seat vinyl has discoloration
  • Dock/trailer rash marks on main hull about windshield forward. Scratches both sides. Nothing through to gel. Not even noticeable over 5 feet away. Beauty of all white boat. 
  • Bimini has been fixed. Looks in decent shape.
  • Audio-8 inboat, 4 tower, rear audio control (inboat) no sub
  • Docking lights
  • Raw water pickup impeller new. 
  • All work done at the dealer. 
  • All electronics work thus far. 
  • One owner boat
  • Carpet is acceptable. 
  • You can see a lot of the sticky back wire holds that you zip tie the harness to are falling down in the engine compartment 
  • Carpet on the underside of the engine hatches where the rope holders are are stained. 
  • no heater
  • no transom shower
  • Trailer is rough. In my opinion. Missing the Starboard guide and rust on quite a few places. Swing away tongue. Two rearmost outboard bunks need to be replaced. Wood showing rot. 

Asking 50k I did put a deposit on it. So it's held for me until I can test drive it. Compared to everything else out there, this price seems to be in the wheelhouse. 

What do you all think?

Edited by Ryan1776

1. Price is in the ball park from a dealer.  I paid about that for my 2011 a year ago. Bad trailer would be a huge negotiation point.

2. No touch screen is a + 

3. If I understood the wiring issue this could be due to replacing the actuators (a good thing). bolting them on is easy, running the wires is the hard part. you have to undo and re-bundle a lot of wires.

4. hours are ok.

5. you will want a bow sack in addition to locker sacks. You think you don't but you do. waist high waves are the best. budget for a new more aggressive prop as well.

the rust on the trailer would be the biggest deal for me. will this become a structural issue in a few years? 

One of the things I hate is the volume control. every boat needs one big knob for volume so you can reach down and adjust it without looking (every new boat on the market has this now)

Thank you very much for this. Trailer aside. Is there anything worth negotiating on the boat? 

If you paid that for an 11 a year ago that's a 2 year swing overall...still think I'm ok?

3-Good point about the Lencos and wiring. That could very well be the reason why. I didn't realize they would be that big of a deal, but I will have to confirm they were changed with proof. 

Prop for getting out of the hole? Or just easier on the engine while underway? Got an Acme number?

100% agree on the volume control. Probably have to deal with it for a year, until I can get a WS EQ installed. 

The trailer is also my biggest irritation, but when I asked about it, they pretty much said, "it is what it is". 

2 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

So kinda back to my original question/topic. 

I'll try to capture it all-

• 2010 LSV 534 hours
  • 350ci
  • Key start-no touch pad
  • Power wedge-possible Lencos already changed
  • Stock ballast-with bow
  • Rearmost center seat recovered-two rear corner seats need repair, mainly the corners- but usable
  • Top of bow seat vinyl has discoloration
  • Dock/trailer rash marks on main hull about windshield forward. Scratches both sides. Nothing through to gel. Not even noticeable over 5 feet away. Beauty of all white boat. 
  • Bimini has been fixed. Looks in decent shape.
  • Audio-8 inboat, 4 tower, rear audio control (inboat) no sub
  • Docking lights
  • Raw water pickup impeller new. 
  • All work done at the dealer. 
  • All electronics work thus far. 
  • One owner boat
  • Carpet is acceptable. 
  • You can see a lot of the sticky back wire holds that you zip tie the harness to are falling down in the engine compartment 
  • Carpet on the underside of the engine hatches where the rope holders are are stained. 
  • no heater
  • no transom shower
  • Trailer is rough. In my opinion. Missing the Starboard guide and rust on quite a few places. Swing away tongue. Two rearmost outboard bunks need to be replaced. Wood showing rot. 

Asking 50k I did put a deposit on it. So it's held for me until I can test drive it. Compared to everything else out there, this price seems to be in the wheelhouse. 

What do you all think?

I think the boat you’re looking at is the local dealer here. I take it the vinyl stain you are referring to is the red discoloration. Pretty widespread issue for 2010s. I believe it has to do with the adhesive used underneath the vinyl and when it gets too hot it stains red. Our 2010 has the same issue but it has always faded away after being exposed to the sun for a few hours. I eventually realized it was happening to all spots that the black cover would touch so I have taken some precautions to prop up the cover or put down a towel between the cover and the vinyl. It’s definitely cut down on that issue. 

Not sure if this is a coincidence or not but a lot of the trailers through our dealer were eagle trailers and when ours was new-to-us in 2014 it was already having a fair amount of surface rust issues. 

21 minutes ago, abattle10 said:

think the boat you’re looking at is the local dealer here.

Could be. Waterford MI?? If so, what are you thoughts on it?

22 minutes ago, abattle10 said:

I take it the vinyl stain you are referring to is the red discoloration. Pretty widespread issue for 2010s. I believe it has to do with the adhesive used underneath the vinyl and when it gets too hot it stains red. Our 2010 has the same issue but it has always faded away after being exposed to the sun for a few hours. I eventually realized it was happening to all spots that the black cover would touch so I have taken some precautions to prop up the cover or put down a towel between the cover and the vinyl. It’s definitely cut down on that issue.

Oh that's really interesting!! Great tip! 

23 minutes ago, abattle10 said:

Not sure if this is a coincidence or not but a lot of the trailers through our dealer were eagle trailers and when ours was new-to-us in 2014 it was already having a fair amount of surface rust issues. 

That's ridiculous. 

Even if you don't do it year one eventually you will add more ballast thus need a more aggressive prop for getting up on a plane. I started with a 1235 and don't remember the number on my prop now but its a lot more aggressive than a 1235. I'm running about 3400 pounds total with stock + sacks.

If I sold my 2011 now I would ask more than I paid for sure. these boats are holding value vary well.

12 minutes ago, windy1 said:

ven if you don't do it year one eventually you will add more ballast thus need a more aggressive prop for getting up on a plane. I started with a 1235 and don't remember the number on my prop now but its a lot more aggressive than a 1235. I'm running about 3400 pounds total with stock + sacks.

Nice. 

12 minutes ago, windy1 said:

If I sold my 2011 now I would ask more than I paid for sure. these boats are holding value vary well.

OH. Ok. Great point. 

The 537 w full MLS wakeboarding was almost not enough to get on plane. Mine came w the upgraded 1235 and it has been great (for me). Stock MLS with 1100 in surf side locker, 750 bow and suck gate running from 3100 - 3250 rpm based on the river current. I have been really happy w this set up. Same issues with the vinyl also. It rarely stays outside under the cover but on the odd times it does I put a basketball on the locker walk over lid to hold the cover off the vinyl (moonbeam). After a little sun exposure it goes away. 

7 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

Could be. Waterford MI?? If so, what are you thoughts on it?

PM sent. 

7 hours ago, Ryan1776 said:

That's ridiculous. 

I had always assumed my problems were from neglect from the previous owner and like I said, may be just a coincidence that this trailer has rust issue or maybe not.

On 2/15/2018 at 2:18 PM, isellacuras said:

Plumbing changed in mid 2012 when they went from 3/4" to 1" (maybe 1 1/8", Im not certain). Drain and fill times decreased quite a bit. The bags tended to drain slowly and not drain all the way. I'm not a fan of the piggy back system on older boats but it seems to work well for the newer ones.

Curious about this. Maybe I haven't searched for the right thing, but I can't find any pumps with that big of openings? 
Not saying you're wrong! Just curious. I mean if the pump is still 3/4" that will be the bottle neck in the flow. 

That being said. I'm going from throwing a Tsunami pump over the side and filling 4 bags individually. A Ronix 8.3 pump and sac. Also by itself. If it takes 20 min to fill and I can drink my Sam Adams 76 while I wait. I'm happy. 

Edited by Ryan1776
On 2/16/2018 at 3:32 PM, Ryan1776 said:

I can’t post photos.

I asked how a few times but no answer. So I found in the frequently asked section that I need to pay to post. Whatever.   

Easy sailor, a lil contribution goes a long way in keeping this priceless boat community resource going. Correct me if I'm wrong but you came here for help and have happily received it. Crew members like pics and trust me when other issues arise a picture can speak a thousand words and save you countless minutes of having to explain/describe what happened. :werule:

• Like 1
On 2/16/2018 at 5:32 PM, Ryan1776 said:

I can’t post photos.

I asked how a few times but no answer. So I found in the frequently asked section that I need to pay to post. Whatever.   

You don't have to be a paying member to post photos.

You have to be a paying member for themalibucrew.com to host your photos.  

I use imgur to host my photos, it's free.  Then I just copy the link in my post to see it here. 

Here's the photo my cousin and I are planning to put on the cover when our album drops. 

hTyg7Io.jpg

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

Easy sailor, a lil contribution goes a long way in keeping this priceless boat community resource going. Correct me if I'm wrong but you came here for help and have happily received it. Crew members like pics and trust me when other issues arise a picture can speak a thousand words and save you countless minutes of having to explain/describe what happened

Didn't mean to be salty. I meant no disrespect. I'm on many different forums, including ham radio ones, yeah, I'm a big nerd, and no one has ever asked for "pay to play", that's all. 

2 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

You don't have to be a paying member to post photos.

You have to be a paying member for themalibucrew.com to host your photos.  

I use imgur to host my photos, it's free.  Then I just copy the link in my post to see it here. 

Here's the photo my cousin and I are planning to put on the cover when our album drops

Right I get it. Just an extra step that's all.  Hosting isn't free. 

Nice shot! 

Edited by Ryan1776
  • Like 1

I didn't pay for the photos.  I paid for the deals when you start ordering accessories.  There are some member only discounts that can save more than the forum cost.  

My 2004 came with a 537 prop that actually did pretty well.  It was great for cruising and wakeboarding even with a lot of ballast.  It just wasn't great at surfing.  We surfed with in a few times then swapped to the 1235 and I lost 2mph top speed.  Acme said I could have gone w/ a 15" prop and not lost any top speed but I wasn't convinced it would clear the prop guard on my trailer.  Overall I'm happy w/ the 1235 but my point is the 537 was a pretty good prop for the boat also.  

We wakeboard, ski, foil first and surf sometimes.  If you primarily surf you'll want to get a prop asap, if not you could wait a little while. What perfect pass does this boat have?  GPS or paddle wheel?

2 minutes ago, Gavin17 said:

What perfect pass does this boat have?  GPS or paddle wheel?

Well, I didn't see a receiver on the deck. So I'm guessing paddle wheel. Or do they hide the receiver on these under the dash? 

Good info on the prop. Thank you!