Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Options on a boat!

Hermi88

Hey again,

Im in talks with the dealers on boats already pre-boat show. I want to go in with a good idea of what all the options are and what is important to me. Is there any where I can go for a detailed description of what some of these options are without actually being at the dealer (few hours away). And I don't have a ton of time to talk to them before I go to the boat show. Examples would be the stereo options, trailer options. I have an option list on a boat sent to me and I'm trying to figure out the other options and maybe some of the options a person wouldn't want. I see lots of options on the trailer I could care less about.

Any insight guys? (Let me know if the link to the options page isn't working)

Thanks,

https://imgur.com/a/2PFlC

Welcome to the forum!   Wow you left your post a bit wide open.  What model are you looking at?  Cannot tell.  21VLX?  23LSV?    M235?  Depending on the model some of the options can be standard equipment.  Assume you are looking at a wakeboard boat for surfing and wakeboarding.  I am sure many here are eager to help.  One other important question.  Is this your first boat or have you had a boat before?  

Options are the most daunting task when ordering a new boat once you figure out the hull type and size you want.     Take it from me.  My wife and I had fun but it was many hours just picking the color combinations for gel coat and interior colors.  Certainly worth the effort. 

Options are very subjective as to what a person feels is a necessity vs nice to have vs do not need.   I am sure many on here can give you words of wisdom on what options they think are important.   Understand it is your money.   How much do you plan to spend?  Tight budget?  Room for some choice options?  Sky is the limit buying what ever you want?   Do you trailer to and from the water?  Expect to have the boat on a lift?    Do you live at altitude?  Family boat or for your neighbor hood crew?  A bit more on what your plans are would help too.  

Suggest doing a search on the site here.  There is a wealth of information on options.  Year to year many of the options are the same.  If you also could provide a list of options you have questions about to help narrow down the list that would help.  Than we can chime in and help you with those specifically.    

Final word:  Go to Utube. . Look for videos on line by dealers.   There are some really good ones now days doing a full walk thru of the boats.  Many of the options will be demonstrated or pointed out.  They carry over from model to model.  Sorry your dealer is not close.   Assume you called them to let them know you are in the market.  May sales people are happy to help.  A good dealer will be glad to answer questions you may have.     PM me if you like I would be glad to take this off line to discuss options I think I important.   Look forward to your future posts through the purchase process.  Very exciting purchasing a new Malibu!  

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Hermi88 said:

Hey again,

Im in talks with the dealers on boats already pre-boat show. I want to go in with a good idea of what all the options are and what is important to me. Is there any where I can go for a detailed description of what some of these options are without actually being at the dealer (few hours away). And I don't have a ton of time to talk to them before I go to the boat show. Examples would be the stereo options, trailer options. I have an option list on a boat sent to me and I'm trying to figure out the other options and maybe some of the options a person wouldn't want. I see lots of options on the trailer I could care less about.

Any insight guys? (Let me know if the link to the options page isn't working)

Thanks,

https://imgur.com/a/2PFlC

Have you asked your dealer? 

Sorry. Been in lots of boats growing up. First V-drive I owned was a 2003 Supreme. Currently looking at A22, 21MLX, 22MXZ. I figured most malibus offered the same options on their boats thats why I left it generic. Oops... The 22MXZ that I was sent is over my budget but fully loaded. So i was curious what most people would sub out and what isn't needed or better yet. What is added easily later after the fact. Ill pm you. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

Have you asked your dealer? 

Yupp, just after hours now. So i was hoping to get some info and do some homework on it tonight.

Sound packages. trailer options. I don't need my trailer optioned out. Wheel options?? Boats for the water not the trailer :) Light options... Just curious if there were other options that were included that people didn't find necessary. 

Lol thanks. I was already in talks with SCMike so i was quizzing him about the thread and what his decisions and final opinion was. Thanks for the find tho!

47 minutes ago, Hermi88 said:

Lol thanks. I was already in talks with SCMike so i was quizzing him about the thread and what his decisions and final opinion was. Thanks for the find tho!

What options have you narrowed it down to now, and which ones are you still debating? 

Basically getting a standard trailer. My dealer is going to have lots of boats at the show to choose from. Ill look at those closely and see what options aren't important to me. He made it sound like boats are as-is. Not a ton he can take off or change. He also said "The other thing to consider is on a custom order - the USD is bouncing around again so there's that uncertainty as well. I can discuss in greater detail with you as well." Guess we will see boat show time and see if something stands out or if custom ordering is the way to go. I'm just doing lots of reading now and getting opinions. Seeing what other guys do and dont like. I'm really curious what people do to the boats after they get them. Any accessories they put on? Any extra tanks added. Maybe get some of that included with these boats as an extra.

On the trailer, make sure to get the transom steps or you won't have a convenient way to get in the boat. Otherwise a standard setup will work fine, unless you're a wheels guy and want the 18's.

Dealers can add on quite a few options if you find a stock boat that has almost everything you want but is missing a couple options. Things like lighting (docking, transom and tower), heaters, surf pipe, racks and tower speakers are common adds. I'm adding full Gator Step on mine too.

For ballast, any boat you buy or build should have the 4 stock tanks plus the factory PNP with auto-vent. Then talk to your dealer about what size PNP bags to add in the rear lockers and they'll take care of getting those. Any extra weight over that is generally just 50lb lead bags that can be moved around where you want them, or possibly a bow/walkway sac if you're really sacking it out.

Lots of threads (including one that I had when I picked out my boat last year).    As many opinions as there are posters regarding what you REALLY need.   FWIW, I will say this after having mine for a full season - these are just the options that were kind of on the bubble when I was doing the order... as well as color combinations/flake etc.   

• LOVE the Phender Pro's.   A friend recommended them, worth every penny, especially if you have marginally experienced crew.   Quick in/out, easy, dont have to worry about crew tie off skills, or making sure they are hanging at the right height. 
  • PTM Clamping Racks are expensive as fire, but I think worth the money. 
  • I added docking lights at the last minute, in retrospect I didnt need them.  Im just not out late enough to make them worth the $$.   I would have put my money elsewhere if I had it to do over.
  • Even at altitude, I dont regret NOT spending the $$ for the 450 on my 22VLX.   Great info here about the torque curve... 410 and 450 pretty much are the same up to 3800 RPM.   If I were going to upgrade the engine, I would go for the 575 or not at all. 
  • Shower and Heater are priceless early/late season.   Glad I spent the $$.

I ultimately created my own spreadsheet with all the available features that I was considering, with MSRP, my dealer price, and invoice.   I was able to add/delete features and see what the entire config was likely to cost me.   It let me do a lot of examples of trade offs that made the decisions easier.   Dealer actually commented that my spreadsheet was easier to do than their app, and got to the same answers. 

• Like 1