Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 LSV - Adding Lead

RyanB

Has anyone added lead to a 2014 LSV?  I am going to be part of the group buy, and am curious how much I can get up in the bow?  I already have the hard tank up there, just looking for 1st hand experience of how much lead I can add around the tank.

I never added lead to mine but I am 95% sure you could get at least 300 lbs around the bow tank. You will have to pull the tank tho.

for anyone looking to put lead around the bow tank on a 25lsv it is near impossible. I was able to squeeze 100 lbs at the very top where the fill line connects to the the tank, but it was a PITA.

I didn't pull the tank and very easily got 150 around the tank.  I think I could've done more without pulling the tank (I only have 150).  Getting it back out will be a huge PITA, but getting it in isn't that hard... because the bags are filed with pellets, they can be made to squeeze through tighter spaces if you take your time.  Getting them back out tho, you have to fight gravity and work from the tight space side.  Not nearly as easy.  maybe if you could flip your boat upside down it'd make it a fair fight.  When I pulled the lead, I have to loosen the tank mounting bracket from the floor, enough that the tank could slide around a little.  That gave just enough space to get the bags back out without pulling the tank (and get some bloody knuckles and fiberglass splinters).

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

I didn't pull the tank and very easily got 150 around the tank.  I think I could've done more without pulling the tank (I only have 150).  Getting it back out will be a huge PITA, but getting it in isn't that hard... because the bags are filed with pellets, they can be made to squeeze through tighter spaces if you take your time.  Getting them back out tho, you have to fight gravity and work from the tight space side.  Not nearly as easy.  maybe if you could flip your boat upside down it'd make it a fair fight.  When I pulled the lead, I have to loosen the tank mounting bracket from the floor, enough that the tank could slide around a little.  That gave just enough space to get the bags back out without pulling the tank (and get some bloody knuckles and fiberglass splinters).

I was just going through some of my old PM's, and saw where you gave me the same advice......two + years ago. :)

I haven't looked at the space up front yet.  Do you think  I can go with the bigger, 50 pound bags?  Or would I be better off getting more of the smaller ones?

I don't really want to have to take the bow tank out.  And I can't think of a reason why I would want to remove the bags (short of selling the boat).  What am I missing?

The ones I tucked up there were 50s.  Very easily could've done two more and maybe more than that.  If you could figure out how to remove the bow backrest cushion, I'd think you could get at least 2 in the nose too.

Edited by shawndoggy
  • Like 2
53 minutes ago, siteki said:

What about fitting lead in the bow of a 2018 23 LSV? Haven’t taken delivery yet so I’m not sure how much space is up front. Thanks. 

I’m interested in this too (sorry to hijack).  With the Leadwake group buy going on, I was planning to buy 300#. Has anyone tried putting lead in a 2018lsv?  

3 hours ago, RyanB said:

Has anyone added lead to a 2014 LSV?  I am going to be part of the group buy, and am curious how much I can get up in the bow?  I already have the hard tank up there, just looking for 1st hand experience of how much lead I can add around the tank.

Is this a Crew buy or something else?  I didn't see one in our forum...

29 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Is this a Crew buy or something else?  I didn't see one in our forum...

I posted it originally on FB and poste it here as well.  It was deleted from here since I didn't follow the rules and get admin approval first.

How does lead in the bow affect the ski wake? We’ve got a 1,000# ballast we through up there for surfing, but we always run empty in the bow when skiing.

50 minutes ago, Kblagg said:

I posted it originally on FB and poste it here as well.  It was deleted from here since I didn't follow the rules and get admin approval first.

Let me explain this. We run Group Buys here on TMC to be one of the Perks for Supporting members. With no advertising we have to have Supporting members to help pay the bills. If we let these perks out to the general membership we lose part of the reason to be a Supporting member. If the Group Buy is posted all over the internet, it's not an approved Group Buy by TMC but one that someone or anyone can run. You take your chances with that. It's not researched by us to make sure you are protected on the GB. We have run sox's of Group Buys in the history of TMC. We have had a few vendors over the years that do not keep their word or just do not approve in the first place.

4 minutes ago, cWonka said:

How does lead in the bow affect the ski wake? We’ve got a 1,000# ballast we through up there for surfing, but we always run empty in the bow when skiing.

When we ski (which isn't very often), I fill my bow tank at least 1/2 full to bring the bow down.  I think it improves the wake.

But I know bow weight will improve my surf wake.  Which is what I care about.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Let me explain this. We run Group Buys here on TMC to be one of the Perks for Supporting members. With no advertising we have to have Supporting members to help pay the bills. If we let these perks out to the general membership we lose part of the reason to be a Supporting member. If the Group Buy is posted all over the internet, it's not an approved Group Buy by TMC but one that someone or anyone can run. You take your chances with that. It's not researched by us to make sure you are protected on the GB. We have run sox's of Group Buys in the history of TMC. We have had a few vendors over the years that do not keep their word or just do not approve in the first place.

Completely understand and I understand the site's stance and I didn't mean to overstep.  My apologies once again.  In fact, I just ponied up for a membership myself.  The amount of info here is invaluable so I have no problem paying for a membership.

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Let me explain this. We run Group Buys here on TMC to be one of the Perks for Supporting members. With no advertising we have to have Supporting members to help pay the bills. If we let these perks out to the general membership we lose part of the reason to be a Supporting member. 

37 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

You are talking about group buys for supporting members only. We do allow group buys for all members but we still have to approve them and we have approved them in the past.

Yea, but I was responding to the first part of your post where you referenced group buys being a benefit of paid membership. :biggrin:

13 hours ago, siteki said:

What about fitting lead in the bow of a 2018 23 LSV? Haven’t taken delivery yet so I’m not sure how much space is up front. Thanks. 

I doubt there will be much room under the bow seats around the tank, they changed the shape of the tank to contour the shape of the hull to optimize space

20 hours ago, RyanB said:

When we ski (which isn't very often), I fill my bow tank at least 1/2 full to bring the bow down.  I think it improves the wake.

But I know bow weight will improve my surf wake.  Which is what I care about.

I bought 500 for a 14, A20 (with under cushion bow sac I want full fill on that so I don’t put lead underneath as well as our sacs sweat due to residual water so would be an issue after a while leaving the cushions or coffin on only left side not all way to bow  )     so maybe yours can be on cushions around perimeter (still leaves seating if anyone wants to be up there and they don’t move ) of bow fir both skiing (not fill forward tank) and surfing , I use some of my lead in cabin to list as well as in bow on cushions to listed side

to me the 2ns most important thing about lead is to be able to move and customize 

I really don’t want to tow with too much permanently stashed up front

I move mine to the trailer bunk areas of the cabin over tandem  suspension  

i think I need a tad of nose weight for Trailer and may keep 2 to 4 50’s up front 

Edited by granddaddy55

Why struggle to put so few permanently around tank if it’s so much trouble to put in and fish out, they do very well in cushion and take up very little room, then you can move them around

if they get wet I wsnt to be able to dry them on cabin floor or other draining area, I tilt  all my cushions every trip and have to move them and even if dry I wouldn’t want to crush cushion with the weight all week

pint is you can move lead around easily , the hard part was getting them in the boat originally 500#’s

Edited by granddaddy55

Yours are stashed and that is s great idea, the handles are the issue there since I move mine , been  thinking about that one since I first put them in boat and after 1st surf with them

connelly uses 1000 lb triangle on cushion plus movable bags of lead in his 18  lsv with front tank so his regular wave is 90-95% of his goofy wave, so lead only might not get it done unless it’s a lot of on cushion 50’s

Edited by granddaddy55

I don't want them sitting on the seats.  I ordered 5.  I will stash what I can under the seats, around the bow tank.  

My truck won't notice the extra weight up front, and I think that my Yukon may actually tow better with the additional weight up there.