Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maliview screen dim

Hi, I have a 2012 wakesetter vlx. I don’t tow it far to our lake but yesterday towed it for a few hours. When I turned it on the main screen wasn’t working at all but after further looking it’s very faint. It was also flickering but since unplugging it that has stopped.  

Has anyone had the same problem and is there a fix please?

Lots of problems with the lower right MTC, don't think the Maliview main gives as much trouble. That doesn't help you though. I have a spare MTC just waiting till mine fails.

Edited by dalt1
18 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

My main screen has gone nuts a few times this year.  Unplugging and re plugging the e rca cable has fixed it so far. 

Oldjeep,  had the same problem as you last year, the rca plugs get oxidization on them, a simple twist and turn fixed that up, of course after my Hart Stoppd FIRST !  when the screen whent wonky. Fist thinking that came to mind! $$$$$$  How Much! Replacing the MTC was costly, can't imagine Maliview! I'm going to replace the cables with some gold ended rca cable.

• 4 years later...

Hi, sorry to be so late. But we had this issue for a few years. We were able to solve it by taking it to a small electronic repair shop. The LED backlight strings seem to go on these. The buttons all worked but we could not see what they were doing. We took ours to Ducktoes Calgary. But I suspect any electronic repair shop worth their weight in geldings could do it for you. Good luck! We were jumping up and down to fix it as a new one is like $4500 Canadian now and we paid $300 to repair it.

Wakesetter24mxz
On 11/28/2022 at 1:49 PM, Jgf042 said:

Hi, sorry to be so late. But we had this issue for a few years. We were able to solve it by taking it to a small electronic repair shop. The LED backlight strings seem to go on these. The buttons all worked but we could not see what they were doing. We took ours to Ducktoes Calgary. But I suspect any electronic repair shop worth their weight in geldings could do it for you. Good luck! We were jumping up and down to fix it as a new one is like $4500 Canadian now and we paid $300 to repair it.

Hi, what exactly was your unit doing? The back light to the screen went dim? My unit is dimming and just went out. Not sure if it has to do with the rca plug in the rear or the led backlight strings you mentioned.

Hey. So a few years ago the screen begin to dim. We struggled to read it, and it progressed worse and worse over the course of a year or so. Had to turn the boat so the sunlight hit the screen to be able to read it. Then one day, it was completely black and never returned to light. We had thought it was crapped out and required replacement. Which is terrible cuz these units are extremely expensive. We got the maliview USB updates from the dealer but still no fix. One day I stumbled on this forum regarding my exact issue and similar symptoms. So I sent it in to Ducktoes in Calgary, and they ordered a new LED light string and installed and tested it. I haven’t got it back from them yet, as I am unwilling to ship it due to its price and value it’s worth now is insane. But they tested it and said it works like new now!

• 8 months later...

We are in Alberta and having screen issues as well  Dealer suggests Ducktoes to us.  Question - did you pull your screen out yourself or have the dealer do it?

If you did it yourself and tips and tricks to get the screen out?

• 2 weeks later...

Removing the screen is very simple. Two threaded nuts on the back and one simple wire harness. I sent mine to www.mtcscreens.com in exchange for a refurbished unit with a new screen.  

On 11/29/2022 at 10:04 PM, Jgf042 said:

Hey. So a few years ago the screen begin to dim. We struggled to read it, and it progressed worse and worse over the course of a year or so. Had to turn the boat so the sunlight hit the screen to be able to read it. Then one day, it was completely black and never returned to light. We had thought it was crapped out and required replacement. Which is terrible cuz these units are extremely expensive. We got the maliview USB updates from the dealer but still no fix. One day I stumbled on this forum regarding my exact issue and similar symptoms. So I sent it in to Ducktoes in Calgary, and they ordered a new LED light string and installed and tested it. I haven’t got it back from them yet, as I am unwilling to ship it due to its price and value it’s worth now is insane. But they tested it and said it works like new now!

Quick questions for Jgf042 or others, any help from the extended team is much appreciated... I am having same issue with my main screen(10 button, non-touch) in upper center of the dash, the buttons seem to work but the screen is too dim to see the controls. I wanted to confirm with you that the new LED Light String did fix the issue? Also, was Ducktoes able to test the fix was working when it was in their possession and it was not connected to the boat. I spoke to a local electronics place and they said they were not sure they would be able to test it when it was not connected to the boat and I am not sure if they are qualified technicians. Lastly, how did you remove the screen from the dash, i.e. it is buried in upper dash, is there a portion of the dash you had to remove to get it out? 

Hi Brigle. Here is what I know:

- the dash was very easy to disconnect. A few screws and a quick connect and its out. Its also very easy to disassemble and reassemble. The screen has a exterior housing case as well as a secondary housing case.

- Ducktoes was awesome and they tested the lights to make sure it worked. They knew it worked before they returned to me. I believe they mostly just knew that the backlight did not work before but did work after replacement. When they diagnosed it, they very quickly knew the backlight was gone on it. I myself knew the screen functions still worked because the buttons still worked and changed volume, etc, I just had no visual feedback to see what the buttons were doing!

Ducktoes gave me a diagnosis for a 1 hour charge and then called me to see if I wanted to go ahead with the repair. All in it was under $300. For $300 CDN I was willing to risk it and very glad I was

5 minutes ago, Jgf042 said:

Hi Brigle. Here is what I know:

- the dash was very easy to disconnect. A few screws and a quick connect and its out. Its also very easy to disassemble and reassemble. The screen has a exterior housing case as well as a secondary housing case.

- Ducktoes was awesome and they tested the lights to make sure it worked. They knew it worked before they returned to me. I believe they mostly just knew that the backlight did not work before but did work after replacement. When they diagnosed it, they very quickly knew the backlight was gone on it. I myself knew the screen functions still worked because the buttons still worked and changed volume, etc, I just had no visual feedback to see what the buttons were doing!

Ducktoes gave me a diagnosis for a 1 hour charge and then called me to see if I wanted to go ahead with the repair. All in it was under $300. For $300 CDN I was willing to risk it and very glad I was

Jgf042, thank you... that is really good news and gives me hope as I was dreading shelling out the rediculous amount of $$$$ for a whole new screen, especially when it seems to just need the back lighting replaced.

I hope this works, it is a real pita not being able to see the guages, I will send an update once the season ends and I have it fixed  :-)

Thanks again