Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21 MLX

tex599

Just put a deposit down on a 21 MLX, replacing my Mastercraft X9. The one I looked at comes with the 410 Monsoon engine. Is this the 6.2l from Indmar?  Is this engine good for this boat?  Any other thoughts from those that own one?  Really like the boat, lots of room for a 21’ boat and the price is good for the features and options. Was looking really hard at the NXT22 from Mastercraft and the Tige R23.  Been a longtime Mastercraft owner and I just didn’t feel like those boats were close to the quality Malibu offers. Hoping I made a good decision. 

• Like 4

Congrats! Be sure to post some build pictures. 

Yes the 410 is the indmar raptor 400 just “malibuafied” and unless you’re running crazy weight or elevation it should be more than enough. 

Thanks, we actually got lucky and found one exactly how we wanted it.  We are doing a lake test in a couple of weeks.  Excited to see how well it does.  

16 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Congrats! Be sure to post some build pictures. 

Yes the 410 is the indmar raptor 400 just “malibuafied” and unless you’re running crazy weight or elevation it should be more than enough. 

Does the 410 refer to HP or Torque and hows it compare to the old Monsoon 5.7  350 HP?

1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

Does the 410 refer to HP or Torque and hows it compare to the old Monsoon 5.7  350 HP?

Torque. I have no experience with that engine but I know it’s more powerful.,

1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

You may want to check out this thread. A lot of info on the engine

Edited by phinz
7 minutes ago, tex599 said:

That’s actually the boat I put a deposit on Friday at the Dallas boat show, pending a lake test.   

We showed that, ("Your") boat to a lot of interested people on Saturday. Awesome boat for the money, I'm betting your gonna Love it!

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Ronnie said:

We showed that, ("Your") boat to a lot of interested people on Saturday. Awesome boat for the money, I'm betting your gonna Love it!

Ronnie, you live down on Granbury, so do I.

57 minutes ago, tex599 said:

Brazos Bend, in between Hwy 51 and Hwy 377 business bridge. You?

Harbor Lakes. Lots of Malibu’s hitting lake in the last few years. We’ll have to catch up in the riding season. We usually ride in front of the house or between the two bridges. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any real world reviews of the wake on these boats, got a buddy who has new boat fever bad and would like an honest review from the crew.

waiting for that.

my biggest issue with the MLX was the bimini swoopped so low and seems to cover WAY too much of the boat... we are on the boat we want sun!

also the seats have ridges that kind force you to sit in a certain spot which made it seem much smaller than my T23, the smaller than 102 beam also didnt help but the price for the options was amazing

I'm still in the break-in hours, so have'nt loaded the boat down yet.  Once we get past the 10hrs, I will give you guys a report.  The bimini does cover a large portion of the boat, which will be nice in July and August down here in Texas.  Majority of the time, we don't use the bimini.  I will say with the bimini open, it is a little more difficult to board the boat from the dock.  I do see what you are saying on the seats, it has bolstering in the seat back that forces you in a direction.  Is this interior just in the MLX, I thought the 21 VLX had that too?  I can tell you so far that I have been pretty impressed with the boat, the raptor motor is just as quiet as the mastercraft I replaced, the front bow is great for kids and adults.  Coming from analog gauges to the Malibu dash, has been a learning curve, but the layout is very intuitive and simple to use.   The Malibu trailer is great, not sure if that is new for 2018 or not.  

• Like 3
On 3/14/2018 at 8:29 AM, agarabaghi said:

waiting for that.

my biggest issue with the MLX was the bimini swoopped so low and seems to cover WAY too much of the boat... we are on the boat we want sun!

also the seats have ridges that kind force you to sit in a certain spot which made it seem much smaller than my T23, the smaller than 102 beam also didnt help but the price for the options was amazing

Sun is one thing but the super small a24 bimini looks s little off like it was cut in half , be over 50 and you want a monster bimini, my A20 2014 tower bimini is huge compared to yours