Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carfax help. Fishy

RudyMuller

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Regardless of testing (which we do not have here), isn't there a checkbox on the title transfer certifying that the emissions equipment hasn't been tampered with?  Or is that just an MN title thing?

Not in Ohio.  We just bought and sold a car in the last couple of weeks (separate transactions).

On 2/11/2018 at 11:43 AM, Nitrousbird said:

Please don't make that statement as fact for Ohio.  Out of 88 Ohio counties, only 7 require it...all around the Cleveland area.

True, and that part especially sucks. My vehicles get tested, and other counties dont.

Steve B.

30 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

True, and that part especially sucks. My vehicles get tested, and other counties dont.

Steve B.

How are they testing?  Sniffer?  Pulling readiness codes from the ECU (that seems to be a common one whether they sniff or not)?  

There are a number of ways to get around the emissions testing, especially if they aren't using a sniffer.

Just my two cents since it's a slow day.  Multiple owners on a 2011 truck to me is indicative of previous seller dumping it's problems on unsuspecting buyers.  I know nothing about lifts & stuff & want to lift my Ram, but a guy here at work is on his second lifted Ford & that thing eats front tires, shop can never get the alignment done right & since he lifted it it voids the warranty (not that warranty matters here).   

1 hour ago, racer808 said:

Just my two cents since it's a slow day.  Multiple owners on a 2011 truck to me is indicative of previous seller dumping it's problems on unsuspecting buyers.  I know nothing about lifts & stuff & want to lift my Ram, but a guy here at work is on his second lifted Ford & that thing eats front tires, shop can never get the alignment done right & since he lifted it it voids the warranty (not that warranty matters here).   

Fwiw, ram 1500's eat cv joints if your lift changes the cv angle much.  Need to do one of those goofy diff drop lifts to preserve the angles. 

5 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

How are they testing?  Sniffer?  Pulling readiness codes from the ECU (that seems to be a common one whether they sniff or not)?  

There are a number of ways to get around the emissions testing, especially if they aren't using a sniffer.

They do those, and a mirror on a stick to look under your vehicle for modifications. As well as some vehicles get the treadmill test, where they put it under load. TOTAL SHAM !  

Steve B.

Update. 

Dealer is installing all emissions equipment. I have the ford oasis service report and it’s impeccable. Flawless and in person it’s a stunning truck, its a two owner rides. 

Edited by RudyMuller
15 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Fwiw, ram 1500's eat cv joints if your lift changes the cv angle much.  Need to do one of those goofy diff drop lifts to preserve the angles. 

I heard that too, and I take this with a grain of sand since the info came from a 4x4 shop but they said replacing the pitman arm fixes that issue?  I'm still on the fence about lifting my truck, yeah it's cool but I could do cooler stuff with the money for a lift & new wheels.

7 minutes ago, racer808 said:

I heard that too, and I take this with a grain of sand since the info came from a 4x4 shop but they said replacing the pitman arm fixes that issue?  I'm still on the fence about lifting my truck, yeah it's cool but I could do cooler stuff with the money for a lift & new wheels.

Pitman arm?  On a 1500 ram?

Couple things wrong with that statement

1) Even if there was a pitman arm on a Ram 1500, replacing that would be to take care of tie rod end angles and bump steer - not CV joints

2) Ram 1500 has rack and pinion steering

34 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Pitman arm?  On a 1500 ram?

Couple things wrong with that statement

1) Even if there was a pitman arm on a Ram 1500, replacing that would be to take care of tie rod end angles and bump steer - not CV joints

2) Ram 1500 has rack and pinion steering

Dunno, don't like working on cars but a quick google "Ram 1500 pitman arm" brings up lots of pitman arms for sale

9 minutes ago, racer808 said:

Dunno, don't like working on cars but a quick google "Ram 1500 pitman arm" brings up lots of pitman arms for sale

Guess it depends on how old your truck is - back in the 90's they still had pitman arms

You have to go back quite a ways to find a pitman arm on a ram 1500.  

Wouldn't have an effect on CVs going even if it had one.  CVs go due to excessive angles and wear, and/or from the added stress resulting in bigger tires. 

Edited by Pra4sno