Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Carfax help. Fishy

RudyMuller

Thanks so much. Went snowboarding in Vail  this weekend and swung over to Glenwood to check it out. Super clean. Has a 6" suspension lift on 37's. 😂

Dpf and egr delete. Spartan tuner. Should be a fun tow rig.  Diesel truck reliability kinda scares me. 

8 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Looks like 2 owner from what is posted.  First owner in canada then sold at us auto auction.  http://www.glenwoodspringsford.net/ngds-services/show_autocheck_report?vin=1FT7W2BT3BEdQEBBwAG&pacode=03172&lang=en

I saw that. I thought carfax was better. The previous owner said it may have had 4 owners. Dealer is saying one owner. 

2 minutes ago, RudyMuller said:

I saw that. I thought carfax was better. The previous owner said it may have had 4 owners. Dealer is saying one owner. 

Just for the sake of discussion - who cares?  1 owner, 4 owners it is a vehicle that is x years old with y miles - what does it matter how many people have owned it?

7 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Just for the sake of discussion - who cares?  1 owner, 4 owners it is a vehicle that is x years old with y miles - what does it matter how many people have owned it?

My current truck is a one owner and I take extremely good care of it. 

Some diesel trucks get seriously romped on, but I see your point. 

48 minutes ago, RudyMuller said:

My current truck is a one owner and I take extremely good care of it. 

Some diesel trucks get seriously romped on, but I see your point. 

You already said that it was lifted, big tires, some idiot pulled the emmissions equipment off and messed with the computer. Id assume that it has been romped on. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

You already said that it was lifted, big tires, some idiot pulled the emmissions equipment off and messed with the computer. Id assume that it has been romped on. 

How is the person an idiot for pulling the emissions equipment and tuning for more power?  

7 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

How is the person an idiot for pulling the emissions equipment and tuning for more power?  

He pulled it for reliability and gas mileage. Dudes super cool and over 50. 

25 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Its illegal to pull the emmissions equipment. 

Okay.  It is also illegal to go 1MPH over the speed limit.  How many times a day do you break that law?  

Hell, I break the law every time I pull out of the driveway in any of our vehicles (illegal tint - well, the wife's might be legal as it is close - and no front plates on any of them).  I can't think of the last time I drove without breaking the speed limit.  Yet it's been probably 17 years since I had a speeding ticket.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, RudyMuller said:

Thanks so much. Went snowboarding in Vail  this weekend and swung over to Glenwood to check it out. Super clean. Has a 6" suspension lift on 37's. 😂

Dpf and egr delete. Spartan tuner. Should be a fun tow rig.  Diesel truck reliability kinda scares me. 

I would beat that dealer up hard for it being deleted.  Many dealers in Colorado won't even take a deleted truck in on trade.  It might be an advantage to you if you don't currently have to get an emissions test.  But the dealer doesn't have to know that (and that stance would change should you decide to move to the front range, or anywhere that does emissions testing).  I would also make sure you won't need to do a VIN verification, as the lack of emissions equipment will keep you from being able to register the truck.

3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I'll play here.  As a general rule, one owner vehicles are usually in better shape than vehicles with multiple owners.  Also, in my experience, it is more likely that they have been better maintained.  I would alway always lean towards a one or two owner vehicle over a 5 - all else being equal.

As for this truck, I will agree with your other post, with the emissions delete, as well as other "mods", I would assume this particular truck has been ridden hard.

This Ford dealer is opening themselves up to a lot of liability selling this truck - a lot.  Shops can incur massive fines for selling a vehicle with an emissions delete, and they are for sure liable as all of these dealerships CLAIM to have inspected everything they take in.  Emissions is required where you live, because emissions equipment is required at the federal level.  Tampering with CAT, EGR, DPF, etc are federal offenses.  They used one seller of DPF deletes as a scapegoat and fined the company $500k putting them out of business.  Thats why those ridiculous disclaimers are everywhere on any site that sells them.  

Just as an owner, I would want to know that Ford has been voiding power-train warranties over emissions altering and tuning for quite some time now.  

Edited by Pra4sno
11 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Cool looking vehicle for sure. In Ohio we get emission tested. Sucks.

Please don't make that statement as fact for Ohio.  Out of 88 Ohio counties, only 7 require it...all around the Cleveland area.

4 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Regardless of testing (which we do not have here), isn't there a checkbox on the title transfer certifying that the emissions equipment hasn't been tampered with?  Or is that just an MN title thing?

Was on the vehicles I've bought in CO, but my guess is the guy who started the thread doesn't care