Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Maintenance

I need a little clarity on maintaining my batteries.  I have never really worried before since I would spend $150 and it would get me a few years.  I switched to AGM this year and I am wondering how often I should charge them over the winter.  They have been sitting for about 4 months now and 1 reads 12.54 and the other reads 12.4.  If they are fully charged should I still trickle charge them for a bit or should I wait until they start dipping? I know you you supposed to use a 3 stage charger with these batteries but I have the older version of this one...

http://www.sears.com/diehard-200a-wheeled-battery-charger-engine-starter-ca/p-02871331000P?sid=IDx01192011x202447539&gclid=CjwKCAiAtdDTBRArEiwAPT4y-74HkTxfiQHJLmDBJLQLGOsg6kqNu5MwXn3n4EhTgtQ697T2qORXNBoCcvwQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKXNh9SJiNkCFQnWZAod4sAOcw

Should I not even try or just pay attention when I am charging/conditioning them? 

3 minutes ago, Roush611 said:

I need a little clarity on maintaining my batteries.

And you came here? :rofl: 

Seriously. The cool thing about AGM batteries is they actually require less maintenance and are less susceptible to cold, compared to wet cell. At 12.4 and 12.5, I honestly wouldnt worry much.  Now, if you are out in the garage bumming around, sure, toss that charger on each one for an hour @ 10A while you are out there. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, MLA said:

Seriously. The cool thing about AGM batteries is they actually require less maintenance and are less susceptible to cold, compared to wet cell. At 12.4 and 12.5, I honestly wouldnt worry much.  Now, if you are out in the garage bumming around, sure, toss that charger on each one for an hour @ 10A while you are out there. 

Ha ha ha! Thank you

7 hours ago, MLA said:

7 hours ago, Roush611 said:

Ha ha ha! Thank you

Seriously, he's right.  It's almost "Ford vs Chevy" level of stupidity.  *runs way*