Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Crushed....

MJO21

Got very little sleep last night.  We have been looking at a 07, 23LSV for a few weeks.  Wife and I basically said that this was the boat we wanted.  Problem is that the boat is 600miles away.  WE have been trying to make arrangements for a couple weeks and between the seller being out of town for work and us not having another free weekend til next week has made the transaction slow.  Anyway, we go the bad news last night that the seller had someone call up and look at the boat and they ended up selling it.  We understand the seller had to do what he had to do but we are  still pretty disappointed at this point.

Anyway, we are back to shopping!  Since I couldn't sleep last night I started looking again.  I didn't find much, and even the 23LSV's I did find did not look as appealing as the one I have been looking at through January.  STL Boat Show is next week so we will do some browsing of other brands as well and hope for some new trade-ins to open up.  Our budget remains at $35k.  Keep your eyes open for me.  Thank you!

I am located in Union, MO.  About 45 minutes down I-44 from STL.

I have no problem driving for the right boat/deal.  At a certain point I would even consider hiring transport.

Mike

Edited by MJO21

I haven't been in a ski boat for 30 years....and it was a mid 80's ski supreme.   I am hopeful to get something that I can haul 8 to10 (adults and kids combined) people comfortably, and would like to have to option to get a few more for a short run to a cove for a day of swimming, not skiing.  Biggest interest at this point is surfing, and wake boarding.  

I am not opposed to a 22' boat because I am thinking it is only a foot shorter than the 23....if I am thinking correctly???  maybe there is a big difference, like I said I have not been in one yet.  I am hopeful to see some at the boat show next week.

thank you,

Mike

6 hours ago, MJO21 said:

I haven't been in a ski boat for 30 years....and it was a mid 80's ski supreme.   I am hopeful to get something that I can haul 8 to10 (adults and kids combined) people comfortably, and would like to have to option to get a few more for a short run to a cove for a day of swimming, not skiing.  Biggest interest at this point is surfing, and wake boarding.  

I am not opposed to a 22' boat because I am thinking it is only a foot shorter than the 23....if I am thinking correctly???  maybe there is a big difference, like I said I have not been in one yet.  I am hopeful to see some at the boat show next week.

thank you,

Mike

We bought a 22VLX last year, love it so far.  I think you would find that a wide beam 22 foot boat will carry 8-10 pretty comfortably.   We have had 13 in ours surfing.    At least IMHO, the 102" beam makes a HUGE difference of getting around in the boat when it is loaded.   But having said that, the 23 would be even MORE comfortable.  

For slalom (which you did not mention), we find we have to run with a light load.   I have a diamond hull, and even with that the wake is a bit on the large side if you want to get aggressive at all.   I imagine the 23 would compound that as well, but I have not skied one.     I still like to slalom, but am drifting more and more to surf as I find slalom falls hurt more in my late 50s.

I love how everyone is talking about 22' Malibus. Good luck finding one for 35k. Double that will get you there. 

OP - just keep looking. Market is always dry this time of year with few deals to be had. 

Most private sale boats aren't currently listed because they're in storage and unavailable for showings and test rides.  8-10 adults  is no problem in my 23 lsv.  Keep looking.  There were 2 good ones in the classifieds recently that I was going to mention but it looks like they both sold.  Keep looking and be ready to jump. The 22' boats are newer and therefore cost more. 

Keep in mind the previous 21VLX was 21.5’.  It could be an option too.  But the 23 LSV is a sweet spot for a lot of folks.  They will pop up for sure.  Good luck on your search!  Maybe even let Stateamind in STL know what you are looking for and call you if they get one in.  

Try TOMMYS , they have 4 locations, 1 in Colorado, 1 in Florida, and 2 in Michigan, they will ship boats between locations for serious buyers. Remember boats from Northern Michigan only have a 3-4 month window every year for use so usually low hours

I have a '06 23 LSV that will be coming out of storage in April.  Looking like it will be on the market as we are looking at going a different direction.  Unfortunately I cant even get inside the storage facility until then otherwise it would be on the market now.

yes you have to jump on deals when they come up or they are gone.. used boats are a hot commodity now given the prices of new....

it could be worse

last summer i was looking for a used boat old Xstars, Nauty 210s, and VLXs..there were none as you can imagine in TX in May, june, and july..so i also started looking elsewhere, most were either way over priced as it was a sellers market, or they were in rough shape..I found one on ebay  i believe in Illinois and the pictures of this restored 2000 Xstar looked as if the boat was a full restore one off new motor vinyl carpet and so on..thing looked like a little red corvette..Buyer seemed honest and communicated well.. I got quick loan and a cashiers check here and headed to Illinois with my uncle around july 1st..14 hour drive 7 hours each almost no stops except gas and food..

well we got there and met up with the guy and immediately i saw an undisclosed item not shown in the pictures, the entire bottom part of the HULL was coated in that anti barnicle paint/seler..stuff wasnt coming off an dreally didnt look good..Ive never in my life saw this on a ski boat or any boat under 30ft..odd most likley damage covered up as re-gel cost too much..that was an issue but i drove 14 hoursso lets keep and open mind i say.. so we crawl in boat and immediately i see how the Vinyl and seats while looking good looked like a DIY project, seats cushions were not original built of plywood etc, they all wee there but you cant tell this stuff from pictures, ok still trying to keep and open mind but already looking to have to bid at least 3k less than hes asking to even consider it..

so already here lets lake test it.. took it off trailer and ran it around lake and started smelling oil and a little smoke ..also seemed a bit low on power..now im irritated also NO perfect pass and very old dash stuff ahrd to read, also not in pictures..Pictures were carefully taken and most likely filters used etc..

so now internally im super disappointed, upset, and needed time to think,..lets go get room get some rest, food , and counter offer..i hated to go home empty handed but he was asking like 23k for this boat and really no way its worth more than 17-19 , too much work etc

I offered 18k he said no i said goodbye..i bet he figured after having a check and driving 14 hrs id take it anyway..oh heck no!

so we turned around checked out and drove 14hrs back..

heres the good news after looking 3 months prior to this debacle and coming home empty handed just 48hrs later im combing the internet and on july 3rd at around 11pm i saw a 2004 VLX with 560 hrs on it and looked good at a local malibu dealer for 29,500..i immediately leave a email because not only were they closed but the next day is the 4th of july and closed.. I called them 30mins before they opened on the 5th and someone answered i asked about the boat and availability and he said it was available and they just took it in on trade on the 3rd and just listed it..I said ill take it please hold it im on my way to look at it..it was in great shape and not even detailed or gone over by them yet..I offered him 25k for it just because i feel that always good to haggle..I knew these guys pretty well from all the years here locally ive crossed paths with them and they said i tell you what we can take 26 plus TTL..I agreed,   I brought 4k cash with me to make sure i can put down payment on it, and immediately handed it to them and said lets get this wrote up..

heres the kicker while i was there 2 other people arrived to look at the boat, i beat them by 30 mins, 90mph heading straight there got me this boat..

They even wan ted to go lake test it themselves and change all the fluids etc since they hadnt gone through it but were confident because it was alone owner boat they sold to the couple in OK 13 years ago and it was well kept..

they called to pick up 3 days later and i ran it all summer without an issue..

see it will work out be patient but i am very happy that i went through all that and ended up with abetter boat..

Surfing is at the top of our lists

thank you to everyone for helping...and please.....keep it coming!    Almost put money down on a new NXT22 yesterday at boat show.   So anything is possible...however unlikely!!!

1 hour ago, MJO21 said:

Surfing is at the top of our lists

thank you to everyone for helping...and please.....keep it coming!    Almost put money down on a new NXT22 yesterday at boat show.   So anything is possible...however unlikely!!!

Don’t know where you are, but I’ll have a 2013 23 LSV for sale sometime this year. Daughter in law is a pro rider (made the cut last year with 1st at the LKA surf open, 3rd in nationals and 2nd at worlds in outlaw division). So we are hoping Centurion (don’t tell anybody on this forum) will step up and offer a boat to her to practice behind.  Lol, we are looking at the top manufacturers for surf machines. Pm me if you are interested. Price will be around 50k for the 2013.