Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M235 black or Charcoal???

RCorsa

Damn. I thought I was all set on my m235 build which will lock next week and am for th most part set of options and colors but initially was going with a Charcoal base and hull thinking it would stay clean easier, not show scratches or swirls and be reasonably cool.   I’ve seen a few black hull boats lately and now I’m rethinking it.  I’m all for hearing folks thoughts, especially any first hand experience.   Probably overthinking it I know.  Here are a few renders with both alternating between the two. 

0C328F41-213A-4BCC-BF46-B827A02E894E.png

D4892D4F-A2C0-424A-B797-E59CF42380CF.png

4DD45D53-DFD8-4DAD-9EC3-C97FECEB793A.png

F76360C9-4322-4E4B-B396-C3E2D568ECF7.png

Black shows every thing and talk about hot as in temperature. I alway lean toward lighter colors and metal flake (really hides dings and scratches and white buffs out best. Congrats looks killer in the lighter grey. 

ahopkins22LSV

Hmmmm that is a tough choice. For one, I don’t think charcoal is going to hide water spots any better or worse then black. 

I think it’s stay with charcoal. It looks great against that blue as @Anderson24 has proven with his last two boats and it’s a little different. Everyone does the black blue combo :) (black will still look great though)

• Like 2

I have had both in the past, in those same parts of the boat. The charcoal is better with not showing water spots, but like @ahopkinsTXi said, it's not that much better.

I will say though, you are very right about swirls, light scratches, etc.. The charcoal will be much better for that. I went back to a black hull, and black deck base for the boat this year, and I'm sure I will be annoyed with it again. Ironically, Im coming from a color scheme that was very similar to what you are ordering. My 17 G23 was grey hull, grey deck, gunmetal flake, and blue accents. That boat was fairly easy to keep looking clean, but the grey definitely shows water spots pretty good. Nothing beats white in that regard.

• Like 1

Just so I’m clear, The only part I’m talking about is the top line (base) and the hull bottom. I’m keeping the gunmetal metallic and blue for the main. As the 235 has all flat areas covered in the soft decking you only see the black or Charcoal along the top and around the edges of the soft decking and under the seats, around speakers, cup holders etc.  

My vote is black.  Nothing against charcoal, but black just looks sharper, imho.  I think your flake colors on the side will contrast and pop more off the black base.  

I would only go with charcoal if you prefer the look.  Don't do it because you think it's going to be lower maintenance because honestly it's not going to be any different.  Only white will hide water spots and swirls.  

Oh, and here's an idea... rather than try to hide water spots and swirls, why don't you just commit to avoiding them altogether.  Just because you can't see them as well on a white boat doesn't mean they're not there.  It's not that hard... just a good thorough wipe down with Hot Sauce after every time out will keep your boat looking GREAT!  

i use 50.50 vinegar and water and then Adams detail spray(its automotive but still works great).  the detail spray everytime and the vinegar about every other time.  boats always look like new.  also they are stored in a shed so no UV. do the interior with 303 about every 3 wks or so. 

43 minutes ago, carguy79ta said:

i use 50.50 vinegar and water and then Adams detail spray(its automotive but still works great).  the detail spray everytime and the vinegar about every other time.  boats always look like new.  also they are stored in a shed so no UV. do the interior with 303 about every 3 wks or so. 

Good point on storage.

If you keep your boat indoors then it’s really not that hard to keep it looking new, certainly way easier than a black car that gets driven on dusty, dirty roads every day. 

If you keep your boat outside or in a slip/lift, then I can see why it’s gonna be much harder. I see almost brand new boats slipped at our marina that look 10 years old. 

1 hour ago, IXFE said:

I would only go with charcoal if you prefer the look.  Don't do it because you think it's going to be lower maintenance because honestly it's not going to be any different.  

Agree with this statement. Go with the color that YOU prefer. Black will look the best to some, Charcoal will look the best to some. Don't choose the color based on ease of keeping clean. Do what YOU love. 

• Like 2

I totally agree with the get what you want mentality.  Unfortunately it’s hard to totally know since the exact boat is not available for me to see. I worried a little the charcoal would look out of place with the black G4 tower but hen I saw the charcoal tower st the boat show last weekend and it had almost a green hue to it as the materials make it look way different than the gel coat.   This my thinking on the black and black.   Anyway.  I appreciate everyone’s thoughts and experience.  I’m not too worried about water spots as it in a fresh water lake only and I regularly detail it and will keep indoors in the winter but on the lake in the summer 

1 minute ago, Steve B. said:

I use detailer right off the ramp, then 15 minutes later I do it again at home. Ya. I got issues.

Steve B.

Twice per year for me.  May and August. Mostly white hull with a bit of blue :biggrin: