Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom behind MXZ 22

Johnny T

I am thinking about buying a 2018 22' MXZ.   Problem is. My son loves to ski. I want to try surfing. My wife and I love the pickle fork layout. The salesmen says you can ballast the front end and get a good wake to ski on.. Has anyone skied on a MXZ and how was it. We are not pros and we do not ski a course. we are just out having fun. I currently have a 1999 Response and we love to ski behind it.

Thanks

Johnny T

Thanks for the feed back. That's a bummer we loved the layout of the Boat.  My response will do almost 50mph and we can pull 6-8 skiers out of the water. I was hoping with the new technology today that that boat would create a wake compatible with the old Response I have. Salesman thought the 22' MXZ would be expectable.

Salesman told you a 22 MXZ will have a similar wake to a '99 Response?  Better do a demo on that before you write that check.  Skiing a 22' MXZ is nowhere near a response.  Not even close.  :no:

56 minutes ago, Johnny T said:

Thanks for the feed back. That's a bummer we loved the layout of the Boat.  My response will do almost 50mph and we can pull 6-8 skiers out of the water. I was hoping with the new technology today that that boat would create a wake compatible with the old Response I have. Salesman thought the 22' MXZ would be expectable.

Key word here is "acceptable"  It some eyes, it probably is.  My wife and daughter slalom behind our A22 every outing and don't have any issues.  They are not course skiing but can both shred pretty well and it took a little adjustment (over our previous Response and Sunsetter LXI but it hasn't stopped them from progressing.  I use to be able to run a course at 28 off and still firmly believe I could run the course behind my A22 at 15 off, skip the front gate and if I slow the speed to 31-32. (Might be a pipe dream...)  I had every intention of trying it last season and posting a video but the course we use to run no longer existed.  I do know that if I'm successful, I am posting it on the forums as soon as I get back in the boat for all the other "dreamers" out there.

The A22 and MXZ are two different boats so I can't speak to your situation but I know I went into our boat purchase figuring the worst but, honestly, I am surprised at how well it does ski with front ballast.  Demo the MXZ and you may find it is acceptable for your abilities.  If anything, I have found that I am skiing a lot better when I do get behind my parent's TXI.