Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

PowerWedge 2 - Can you answer a ?

MustGoFast

I didn't order the PW2, just the regular manual set wedge, (still could) on my '18 T22.  Reason being I don't (and don't intend) to surf.  Wanted a great boat for wakeboarding, skiing, cruising, and lounging and ended here.

Question 1 - Would I used the PW for wakeboarding or skiing?  --> I read that it can create lift not just drag (if so that might be nice) 

Question 2 - Is PW2 just on or off like the manual wedge but controlled from the helm, or is it adjustable to multiple positions now?  If so how are you using it?

Question 3 - Should I go back and add it?  I really didn't want to drop the extra 2k but am I going to regret it (digging around suggests it oculd hurt resale if I ever want out)

45 minutes ago, MustGoFast said:

I didn't order the PW2, just the regular manual set wedge, (still could) on my '18 T22.  Reason being I don't (and don't intend) to surf.  Wanted a great boat for wakeboarding, skiing, cruising, and lounging and ended here.

Question 1 - Would I used the PW for wakeboarding or skiing?  --> I read that it can create lift not just drag (if so that might be nice) 

Question 2 - Is PW2 just on or off like the manual wedge but controlled from the helm, or is it adjustable to multiple positions now?  If so how are you using it?

Question 3 - Should I go back and add it?  I really didn't want to drop the extra 2k but am I going to regret it (digging around suggests it oculd hurt resale if I ever want out)

1) yes you would use it for wakeboarding (and lift)

2) yes it is adjustable, 6 positions from memory

3) yes you should go add it. You will regret it if you don’t. Especially when it’s time to sell. 

In Summary: go add it

• Like 2

The Power Wedge 2 on my 2015 23LSV had an alarm at 26mph saying to fast in Lift Mode. I know there since have been improvements yet unsure of limit on this wedge in lift mode. I will concur immensely that the wedge will not only benefit your ability to shape your wakeboard wake but most importantly for those running heavy days when weather rolls in and you have to go. In lift mode you don't have to drain ballast put people in bow to get up and out quickly. I will also say the resale will take a harder hit. Surfing is popular and growing.:dontknow: Hope this helps. congrats

12 hours ago, MustGoFast said:

I would not order a 18 Axis without PW2 in any model. For resale alone it's worth it, with 18 being the first year it's an option people will be looking for it in a couple years if buying used. I also believe it affects the wakeboard wake more  than the surfwave from what I've seen and ridden.

• Like 3

And aside from resale just having the capability to adjust wave and wakes on the fly is awesome. Plus the lift mode helps save fuel and plane out the boat easier for wakeboarding.

Not to mention the reliability of the new pw2 hydraulic actuator is far superior to the old Lenco dual actuators from gen 1 version.  Very little problems reported with the hydraulic actuator since the release of the pw2 in 2015.

Huge win for Axis buyers with Malibu adding the pw2.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, vanamp said:

If you don't plan on surfing are you getting surfgate? 

Good point.  Anyone looking to pick up an 18’ on the used market is going want SG and PW2.  It’s a no-brainer if you ask me.

5 minutes ago, Choiceind said:

Stop reading and call dealer immediately and add PW2, before its too late.

Agree with an added "pronto".

Edited by alpensurf23
concurs better

I purchased a 17 A22 before they the PW2 was announced on the 18's.  The manual wedge is ok...but nothing like the PW2 and the adjustability it brings (for both wakeboarding and surfing).  If I'd known, I would have waited for the 18's just to get the PW2.  It's probably the only minor regret I have on the purchase.  Other than that, it's an awesome boat. 

Add it now!!!

• Like 2

You will be happy you have it.  Starting in 2018, having an Axis without PW2 would be like having a Malibu without Surfgate.  Sure it is an option, but 99.9% of folks will expect it.  

• Like 3

@MustGoFastSell the kids car, cancel their car insurance, score them a bike at your local thrift store, have them take the bus on rainy days should help the wallet in no time. As for the kids mental health tell them why. If you don't have kids your wallet was way to happy to begin with and be glad you don't own a horse.. Good call on the wedge. :)

Edited by alpensurf23
1 hour ago, MustGoFast said:

I already had surfgate and ate that at the recommendation of my dealer...

I called an hour ago and added power wedge too :(... wallet is not happy but Oh Well

Good call!! You may be a lot smarter than you look!! lol

Gee thanks @Choiceind and no kids @alpensurf23 - but I'm not sure too happy is a thing a wallet can be.

@MustGoFast you must not gamble much. Congrats tho the option will make you happy when you use it and sell it eventually as many have stated. As to the unhappy wallet remedy all in good fun and remember to stay away from horses. Best odds are at the Black Jack tables anyway.... and makes my wallet happy happy happy... cheers :cheers:

Edited by alpensurf23

Gee thanks @Choiceind and no kids @alpensurf23 - but I'm not sure too happy is a thing a wallet can be.

Sounds like you are really concerned about money, which is cool! Think of it this way,, its a long term investment. If I were buying a boat, and there is 2, 1 has power wedge, and the other doesnt, I would be buying the 1 with power wedge. I ordered mine in Dec, and I did SurfGate, and PW2. And I dont surf, or even have a boat with any wedge. Im coming from a 98 sunsetter vlx which is barebones but a awesome boat.

LOL - I may have gave off the wrong impression @Choiceind.. I'm "cheap" when I can be, but not that concerned just a bit testy about the cost... @alpensurf23 (definitely a gambler, may pay for my upgrade that way ;))

Either way thank you all for the advice, the updated deal is already done and I've got the PW2 now and am not looking back.  Now I just WISH I could use the boat sooner, last year the boating season sucked we didn't really get 3 months even.