Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to the Axis side of the Family/Crew

alpensurf23

• 4 weeks later...

not a Bu Axis convert, but I had a 15 A22 and loved it. surfed it with about 4k ballast. stereo Pac 3 was awesome.  wanted bigger so I sold it for a great price and got a 257. congrats on the new ride!

s7JfxF2.png

On 2/21/2018 at 8:22 PM, alpensurf23 said:

Any other Malibu to Axis converts? Curious how many made the shift this year? :unsure:

We are converts i guess. Not really comparable boats tho. We have had a 2001 Malibu 21VLX the past several years. We absolutely loved the boat! It was a tank. No serious issues through the 500 or so hours we have put on it.

Our family is growing and we simply outgrew it. So we started looking into getting a newer boat. We wanted a surf gate boat and all automated ballast since we had been manually filling every time we went out. We were looking at the early MXZ's and decided we might as well get the 2018 A24 due to the warranty and we love the picklefork bow. Placed our order in December and should be getting it in late March. 

MXZ is a dream boat but A24 is within our budget. Can't wait to surf the new boat! 

• Like 2

@CBray4 Be prepared to be stoked even if both boats have the surf pipe the PCM is a much quieter motor. The A24 also appeared to me to have a bigger cockpit area for the crew to get out of the sun if needed. Not having the walkthrough stern only gives you a bigger warming tray the MXZ is without on those early season late season sessions.. Last but not least your A24 this year has all the wake/surf shaping tools the MXZ has at its disposal. (surfgate, power wedge, remote). Some say an Axis is "a bare bones boat", I laugh when I read that. Whats wrong with keeping things simple? Nothing when you tow a buddy in with it, and he's having star trek issues from boat that costs twice as much...

Edited by alpensurf23
4 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

@CBray4 Be prepared to be stoked even if both boats have the surf pipe the PCM is a much quieter motor. The A24 also appeared to me to have a bigger cockpit area for the crew to get out of the sun if needed. Not having the walkthrough stern only gives you a bigger warming tray the MXZ is without on those early season late season sessions.. Last but not least your A24 this year has all the wake/surf shaping tools the MXZ has at its disposal. (surfgate, power wedge, remote). Some say an Axis is "a bare bones boat", I laugh when I read that. Whats wrong with keeping things simple? Nothing when you tow a buddy in with it, and he's having star trek issues from boat that costs twice as much...

Our boat will be pretty bare bones. I know you will tell me to order them anyways but we chose against it to fit into our budget. No PW2 and no surfpipe. I know, I know... Go ahead and crucify me. It honestly wasn't my decision, I would have gotten PW2. My oldest brother is the one buying it so I left all of those decision up to him. I'll be happy that he even lets me out on it! We did order SP2, docking and underwater lights(both of those I wouldn't have ordered), sliding seat with seatbacks and chillax seats. No heater, no clamping racks, no GPS, and we got the absolute cheapest trailer possible because we only trailer twice a year. 

@CBray4 still not what i consider a "barebones" boat at all compared to many other brands. My buddy ordered his new A24 with the floating wedge like yours to all our surprise and after explaining why to PW2 until blue in the face. He however is a huge fan of that floating wedge after owning an axis with one for years. He believes it goes right where he wants it and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Trust me not my advice, I went PW2. He is now having his new A24 wrapped in an insanely cool color for more than that option.... Buy fuel, bring your brother's favorite food or beer and be the last to leave helping buff the boat post session. My best advice oh and if he's single bring bikinis... :cheers:

Edited by alpensurf23
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

@CBray4 still not what i consider a "barebones" boat at all compared to many other brands. My buddy ordered his new A24 with the floating wedge like yours to all our surprise and after explaining why to PW2 until blue in the face. He however is a huge fan of that floating wedge after owning an axis with one for years. He believes it goes right where he wants it and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Trust me not my advice, I went PW2. He is now having his new A24 wrapped in an insanely cool color for more than that option.... Buy fuel, bring your brother's favorite food or beer and be the last to leave helping buff the boat post session. My best advice oh and if he's single bring bikinis... :cheers:

I couldn't agree with you more on all of your points! I suggested getting PW2, but to no avail.

About the bikinis... He is married with 2 kids and I am a newly wed. As I heard one of my best friends say a while ago. "Just because I am at the buffet does not mean I have to eat!" Lake season is a great time to visit the "buffet".

• Like 1

Gotta love lake time, just got done chasing my girlfriend around a cross-country ski track that was un groomed and heavy fresh snow. I was kicking but there wasn't any glide and thats the easy part. All i could think about was the more snow the longer the summer....

28 minutes ago, alpensurf23 said:

Gotta love lake time, just got done chasing my girlfriend around a cross-country ski track that was un groomed and heavy fresh snow. I was kicking but there wasn't any glide and thats the easy part. All i could think about was the more snow the longer the summer....

I’m ready for summer! 

• Like 1

I am new to the axis line as well but not new to the Malibu family. we owned a 2005 Malibu VLX and put 75+ hours on a year for the past 2 seasons.. it was a great boat for us, but with a growing family and friends that like to come along and enjoy the water sports, Axis made the most sense for us. I couldn't stomach the price of a new Malibu and looked at several used, but after boat show specials and good finance rates in January, we ended up with a new 2017 axis A22. we are stoked for this summer! we ended up with a loaded up A22 carryover 2017 that happened to be my wife's favorite color so she was on board almost immediately!

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, findlaydan74 said:

I am new to the axis line as well but not new to the Malibu family. we owned a 2005 Malibu VLX and put 75+ hours on a year for the past 2 seasons.. it was a great boat for us, but with a growing family and friends that like to come along and enjoy the water sports, Axis made the most sense for us. I couldn't stomach the price of a new Malibu and looked at several used, but after boat show specials and good finance rates in January, we ended up with a new 2017 axis A22. we are stoked for this summer! we ended up with a loaded up A22 carryover 2017 that happened to be my wife's favorite color so she was on board almost immediately!

Post up some pictures of that thing! Would love to see it!

• Like 1