Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 22VLX PNP Setup

ETN22VLX

Our 2016 22VLX was new to us this past summer. The surf wave was great, but we're looking to add ballast using PNP, and specifically looking at the Wakemakers bags.

I was crawling in the boat today trying to get a sense of the ballast plumbing and where the bags would go and am a little confused. From everything I've read, it seems like the bags plug in at three different locations (2 drains on the bottom and 1 fill on top). Looking in our boat, I could only find the two bottom hoses/outlets. One comes out of the hard tank towards the front of the locker, and another is in the floor towards the back.

Am I missing another hose that is supposed to fill the bags, or will the bags fill through the outlets in the floor? Does this sound similar to anyone else who has installed PNP ballast in a 2016 22VLX?

I have a few pictures showing the existing plumbing and will try to upload those.

Edited by ETN22VLX

Those two fittings are the only ones you "need." One is the fill and will fill up the bag first and the other goes into the hard tank to gravity drain into the tank to fill it up. The drain is connected to the hard tank, and again your bag will gravity drain into the hard tank and drain from there. You can add an additional hose to the top for "auto vent". Many people on here have used a Y connector (I believe)  into the fill line for this, or I know some have found a super cheap option. It's a small valve that screws in and is like $15 off amazon that will prevent you from having to burp the bags.

Also, who sold you a boat without PnP!? If you thought the surf wave was great without any before... You will be blown away. I love our 22VLX surf and wakeboard wake.

We usually only surf/board with a crew of 3-4 and so we throw a 400-750 lb bag in the walkway. It makes a huge difference in the wakeboard and surf wake. If you have a larger crew, that is the same as adding a bag there though.

28 minutes ago, Suggy said:

Also, who sold you a boat without PnP!? If you thought the surf wave was great without any before... You will be blown away. I love our 22VLX surf and wakeboard wake.

We usually only surf/board with a crew of 3-4 and so we throw a 400-750 lb bag in the walkway. It makes a huge difference in the wakeboard and surf wake. If you have a larger crew, that is the same as adding a bag there though.

Ha! We’re all a bunch of beginners surfing and are coming from an 01 MasterCraft. The difference from trying to surf behind that boat and the new boat is night and day. Our plan is to add a pair of the Wakemaker 550s.

Thanks for the feedback. I saw a PNP install video on YouTube that gave me the impression we should have a 3rd line somewhere in the lockers that hooks up to the bag. 

There’s a third line that goes on top on 2015 and prior, the 16’s only have the 2 in the floor

edit: I think they both just overflow from the tank

Edited by t a
2 hours ago, Suggy said:

"One is the fill and will fill up the bag first"

Are you saying the PnP bags fill first before the stock tanks? I though the hard filled first and then "overflowed" into the PnP bags. 

15 hours ago, onewake09 said:

Are you saying the PnP bags fill first before the stock tanks? I though the hard filled first and then "overflowed" into the PnP bags. 

I'm not 100% sure I guess. I figured they filled into the bag and just immediately gravity filled the hard tanks, and once the hard tank was full started to actually "fill" the bags. 

17 hours ago, ETN22VLX said:

Here are pictures I took showing the 2 fittings on the floor.

9H3NTeZ.jpgyZX1TwW.jpg

That is all you need. Do not worry about the third fitting on the top. Again, the one of the top is just for autovent and people on here have found multiple cheap options. Just take the black plug out and connect your PnP bags. Make sure they are snug and you push the red slider all the way in place until it clicks. Give it a few good tugs to make sure. Do not want this to come loose!

56 minutes ago, Suggy said:

That is all you need. Do not worry about the third fitting on the top. Again, the one of the top is just for autovent and people on here have found multiple cheap options. Just take the black plug out and connect your PnP bags. Make sure they are snug and you push the red slider all the way in place until it clicks. Give it a few good tugs to make sure. Do not want this to come loose!

Good to hear. Thanks again and looking forward to surfing behind the boat with some additional ballast.