Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

96 Echelon throttle "safety"

I just got my boat delivered a week or so ago, 1996 Malibu Echelon. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT and can't wait to get it on the water. For a 20 plus year old boat, this thing is in GREAT shape. I am going through it fixing a couple of very minor issues. One is the throttle handle doesn't "lock" into the neutral position. I'm sure this is an easy fix. I'm guessing just a spring. Can someone please briefly talk me through the fix?  Here's the throttle assembly I have

throttle%202_zps94pvtgve.jpg

Next thing is the blower comes on when the key is turned on but rocker switch for the blower is off. When the rocker switch is turned to the "on"' position you can hear an obvious increase in power to the blower. After talking with @skihard , the initial though is it could be a faulty rocker switch that is not blocking all the current even in the off position. No testing has been done at this point. Anyone else experience this? Ideas on how to fix? Are these switches available?

You're right that it's probably a spring.  Someone likely will have the diagram - I can look for it in my fsm if no one jumps in.  

The boat is doing the right thing turning the blower on.  It's part of the programming to run the blower when you put the key in for up to 2 minutes.  Also when the engine has been run and then shut off like for picking up a skier.  Safety mechanism built into the computron. 

Edited by Pra4sno

No diagrams yet :(.  I do have a video on replacing the cables but the shifter is not addressed in it.

The blower comes on when the key is in the accessory or on position.  Anyone else with a similar model year who might comment?  I guess I'm OK with it being on continually as long as it goes off when the key if off.  A little more safety is not necessarily a concern.  I just am looking for guidance as to whether or not the boat is doing the right thing.

Is the blower running 100% of the time or in the accessory position?  

If it's running in accessory it is working.  

I checked fsm and couldn't find a diagram for you.  Sorry about that!

12 hours ago, gt2003 said:

No diagrams yet :(.  I do have a video on replacing the cables but the shifter is not addressed in it.

The blower comes on when the key is in the accessory or on position.  Anyone else with a similar model year who might comment?  I guess I'm OK with it being on continually as long as it goes off when the key if off.  A little more safety is not necessarily a concern.  I just am looking for guidance as to whether or not the boat is doing the right thing.

It's doing the right thing, as long as it goes off when the key is off (which it sounds like it is).  I have owned my boat for 9 years and it has been operating the same as yours, with the same blower.

I am interested on the neutral lock as well, mine has never done it right.

I had the same shifter on my 95 Response.  If I remember right it's a set screw holding the lever on.  The collar just pulls up a metal rod with a spring around it.  My spring was broken, so I picked up one at the local hardware store.  

Found a photo.

LWcZkFZ.jpg

nZNBP2M.jpg

Edited by powbmps

THANK YOU!  I went and did what I could to look at the back side of the handle last night.  From the limited view I had, it doesn't necessarily look broken.  However, the spring may be weak or there just may be 20 years of crud built up behind it.  I'll find out this weekend and correct accordingly.  Thanks for the info.

As far as the blower, when I turn the key to the left, it doesn't come on.  When I turn it to the right one "click" it does come one.  Sounds like it's doing it's thing.  The boat is currently in my garage winterized.  I'll see what happens when I finally get the chance to fire it up.

Thanks again for all the input.  I'm glad to finally be a member of the Malibu family

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gt2003 said:

THANK YOU!  I went and did what I could to look at the back side of the handle last night.  From the limited view I had, it doesn't necessarily look broken.  However, the spring may be weak or there just may be 20 years of crud built up behind it.  I'll find out this weekend and correct accordingly. 

@gt2003 don't forget to document what you find w the repair.

it's good to close the loop so the next guy can find the answer, too.

thumbnail_IMG_39881_zpstt25flnj.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_39871_zpsbkhm1y8r.jpg

Here's what I found.  The spring doesn't appear broken just worn.  I'm going to replace the spring as well as the metal piece below it.  While I'm at it i'm going to replace the throttle barrels/pivots.  I will post pics along the way.  It looks like a pretty easy fix.

• Like 3

I talked to the guy at skiboatpartsonline and ordered new pivots for the cables.  Unfortunately he reports that the individual pieces are scarcely available as the company that bought Morse now only sells the entire throttle unit but not the individual parts.  If anyone has the spring and diamond shaped piece for sale or knows someone who does, I'll buy it.  If not,  guess I'll just replace the pivots and buy a spring off the shelf.  Thanks again

After disassembling the handle the spring actually was broken.  It had just fallen down onto itself and was difficult to see.  Finding the spring was the most difficult part.  I finally found it at my local Ace hardware.  The fix was very simple, see photo above.  Remove/push out the pin at the bottom of the throttle handle.  This will allow the diamond shaped piece, the spring and the metal rod to all come out where they can be worked with.  I went ahead and took the metal rod all the way out as it is very simply held onto the assembly by a 90 degree bend in the metal rod.  I simply took the old spring, laid it next to the new one and cut the new one maybe 1/4 inch longer.  I slid the spring on the metal rod, put the diamond piece back on (easy as one side says "top" on it) , pushed the spring into place and replaced the pin then put it back on the throttle assembly.  It maybe took 5 minutes.  Now it locks into place nicely when it's in the neutral position.  Don't be afraid to try this yourself if your handle is not locking in place.

I received the cable pivots today.  I'll tackle that project at a later time.  Thanks for the help folks.

• Like 3