Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Proposed ballast law

PDav19

9 hours ago, RTS said:

Yep...those waterfront landowners have the means and wherewithal to get what they want. And if I were one of them,  the first thing I would want would be complete banning of all wake enhancing devices...period.  That includes wedges, ballast, lead, whatever.  Was at the in-laws house recently with a floating dock (it's all they can have) and the wakes bouncing us around were ridiculous....as was the choice of music blaring at 10,000 Watts or so from the boats.

Have fun while it lasts, fellas...pretty soon you'll be surfing in the ocean like God intended.

I think the word Entitlement comes to mind,  Remember..... people with money have the rights to all public water ways, Shore lines etc. General public you lose again, I agree all of us boating captains need to do a better job and respect others, But come on you know as well as I do the attitude of some of these home owners,  And I do agree on the stereo's even I need to do better at that, 

Edited by Wakesetter67
On 1/28/2018 at 2:52 PM, RTS said:

Yep...those waterfront landowners have the means and wherewithal to get what they want. And if I were one of them,  the first thing I would want would be complete banning of all wake enhancing devices...period.  That includes wedges, ballast, lead, whatever.  Was at the in-laws house recently with a floating dock (it's all they can have) and the wakes bouncing us around were ridiculous....as was the choice of music blaring at 10,000 Watts or so from the boats.

Have fun while it lasts, fellas...pretty soon you'll be surfing in the ocean like God intended.

What a troll

edit. Grumpy troll. Some ppl, typically younger with poor taste in music, can play music loud which sucks. But if you really think the whole wakeboard/surf industry is gonna flop over and wither away... its going to be a war in court.

Edited by AJwakedevil
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, AJwakedevil said:

What a troll

edit. Grumpy troll. Some ppl, typically younger with poor taste in music, can play music loud which sucks. But if you really think the whole wakeboard/surf industry is gonna flop over and wither away... its going to be a war in court.

Dilly Dilly! 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Wakesetter67 said:

Dilly Dilly! 

Would be interesting to see them put a ban on bringing more than one cooler per boat too. If there were a ban on lead and everything, I would just call up all the friends, max the boat capacity out, and have everyone bring a cooler full of beer. I could probably fit 4 coolers in the rear compartments. 6-8 on the floor, and another 4-6 in the front. Beer weight.. who would have thought thats the future of boating.
@RTS if that is what it would turn into, I think there would be a whole lot more problems caused by extra rowdy, pissed off wake making hooligans. Have a DD for the boat and 12 ppl with more beer than body weight.. you may very well wish they had their normal ballast back instead :surfing:

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, AJwakedevil said:

Would be interesting to see them put a ban on bringing more than one cooler per boat too. If there were a ban on lead and everything, I would just call up all the friends, max the boat capacity out, and have everyone bring a cooler full of beer. I could probably fit 4 coolers in the rear compartments. 6-8 on the floor, and another 4-6 in the front. Beer weight.. who would have thought thats the future of boating.
@RTS if that is what it would turn into, I think there would be a whole lot more problems caused by extra rowdy, pissed off wake making hooligans. Have a DD for the boat and 12 ppl with more beer than body weight.. you may very well wish they had their normal ballast back instead :surfing:

Next they will ban bikinis because it makes mowing their backyard to dangerous.....:Doh:

Edited by alpensurf23

There is talk of banning all water sports on our tiny lake due to wave issues. They did talk about wake sports but since it is too difficult to determine what is what by some, they are talking about banning everything. The water front owners just want to putt around in their pontoon boats. It's been coming but everyone wanted to do what they wanted and now there are consequences.

On 1/28/2018 at 10:52 AM, RTS said:

We'll I can  speak for myself and a lot of neighbors that also have shoreline AND wake boats. What really bothers us are the folks that surf close to THE SAME shoreline for hours. Take it out a bit farther and use different spots.

Also loud music from tower speakers is very unpopular.

A few years ago the lake homeowners association bought a patrol boat and GAVE it to the local police along with a decibel meter in order to get rid of some 6am 80mph bass boats. A decibel limit ordinance was part of that deal. That worked. There are only two boats lately that abuse their tower speakers. They're next.  Cops have also been briefed on the close in surfing issue and they agree it's unsafe and bad for the shoreline.

Bottom line, I don't think we need any new laws.  Just cooperation and curtousy and enforcement of existing laws.

• Like 2

my buddy has a place on a tiny 200 acre lake.  there is a 24 ft limit.  he commented that he saw someone surfing and it made some big waves.  the lake association doesnt realize an m235 would be legal there.  his lake is mostly over 60 crowd..retirees.  I dont think surfing will last there. glad Idont boat there. 

On 1/28/2018 at 5:14 PM, ahopkinsTXi said:

If we had an eye roll emoji, it would be used here...

You might as well extend that to ban all boats over 22 feet long then. As @Sixball has said like 3 times in this thread, and others I believe, any boat cruising between 10-18mph even 20-25mph depending on the boat puts out just as big or bigger of a wave as any wakeboard. Hell even the new tritoons with huge outboards on the back put out huge rollers.

This....

And I fully believe the study about wave differences between surf waves and the average wake from a 20+ foot stern drive plowing around at 15mph. I had no idea, nor did I realize it, until I rehabbed my shoreline, and then sat out by the water and watched all my new stone wash into the lake.

Previously, I had thought the surf waves would effect it the most. Not any more. I was sitting there watching a surf boat go by, and sending a big old swell into the shoreline, and the waves would come in as big humps in the water. They'd push in and send water up on my new shoreline material...... the material I used was 1 1/2" washed slate, and the surf waves were not pulling it back. Then I'd see the waves coming in from a stern drive running around at mid speed. Instead of being a hump in the water, like the surf waves, they are sending in a shorter,  peaky wave that is sort of continuously tumbling over itself. Those waves were pulling my stone in like crazy. It has nothing to do with the size. It has to do with behavior of the wave. For some reason, they are WAY different. 

I don't get it....... but the difference was incredibly obvious.

• Like 3
On 1/28/2018 at 3:52 PM, RTS said:

This is the ultimate "GET OFF MY LAWN" post.  Love it.

As for the ballast, in my boat it is all subfloor.  I'm sorry officer, what ballast???  Oh this here is a G boat sir.  It runs on unicorn farts and rainbows and requires no ballast.  

Edited by bamaboy
9 hours ago, TenTwentyOne said:

This....

And I fully believe the study about wave differences between surf waves and the average wake from a 20+ foot stern drive plowing around at 15mph. I had no idea, nor did I realize it, until I rehabbed my shoreline, and then sat out by the water and watched all my new stone wash into the lake.

Previously, I had thought the surf waves would effect it the most. Not any more. I was sitting there watching a surf boat go by, and sending a big old swell into the shoreline, and the waves would come in as big humps in the water. They'd push in and send water up on my new shoreline material...... the material I used was 1 1/2" washed slate, and the surf waves were not pulling it back. Then I'd see the waves coming in from a stern drive running around at mid speed. Instead of being a hump in the water, like the surf waves, they are sending in a shorter,  peaky wave that is sort of continuously tumbling over itself. Those waves were pulling my stone in like crazy. It has nothing to do with the size. It has to do with behavior of the wave. For some reason, they are WAY different. 

pretty sure shorter wave lengths have more energy when it comes to light/sound. So my guess is that is the same for water? Ya, I didnt take a physics class in my time at school so I could be way off. But probably not.

I've been wondering when this was coming, but for a different reason.  

Seeing it in MN and here in CO I figured it would be invasive species that got fresh water ballast tanks the attention of authorities sooner or later.  

Like anything the wave is the title part but so much more other then the wave. Size, Type, Frequency Braking or roller .  Shore line, Type of shore, rock, sand, Dirt or mud, Sea wall, vegetation or not  Angle of drop off. Everything has effects. I see in our discussions often how a member can make quality statements or give good advice but could not be good in another area state country. Just saying each Lake each area could be looking at this much different but it looks as it is becoming something more a topic in many lakes and rivers. In my time sport boats have gone from say 16' - 18' common to 20'- 25 is more the norm. More and more of our water front is being built up. I look at pictures of lakes I have spent time on and how much they have changed.  We use to spend most weekends on Travis lake ( Texas)  it had only one area that had any amount of homes and it was not a big area. 

On 1/31/2018 at 3:46 AM, TenTwentyOne said:

This....

As the study I posted said,  That wakesurf waves break quicker dispersing about half the wave energy after 100 ft and decreasing along the way, So yes your observation would seem consistent! 

I've actually seen boat surfing waves deposit sand on my beach (which faced west), and I've seen a strong wind from the north take that all away days later in an hour.

I've also seen nice, quiet, older guys with their I/O's rock the crap out of other boats by cruising just below plane with a boat load of guests.  Nobody complains about them.  But the topic on our lake did come up about banning wake enhancing devices (and was shot down) aimed at "those guys out there surfing".

How are internal ballast tanks cleaned/dried/killed off when they go from one body of water to another?  

Our reservoirs out here have a constant threat from invasive species like zebra mussels.  They have paid fish and game to sit at the ramps, but there is no way for them to inspect internal ballast tanks reliably.  

They make a biocide for killing off anything in the tanks. You can also flush them fill them and bleach them, then rinse. PIA but to help prevent destroying the lakes it is worth it.

4 hours ago, Falko said:

They make a biocide for killing off anything in the tanks. You can also flush them fill them and bleach them, then rinse. PIA but to help prevent destroying the lakes it is worth it.

Good to hear people are doing that stuff.  How are they able to actually enforce it with internal tanks?

Here we have inspections and then they band your boat to the trailer for if you switch water bodies - for them to inspect internal ballast tanks it seems like they prescribe to a "hope and a prayer" as I've been on buddies surf boats and they don't check the tanks.  

Hat to say it but its just a matter of time. JMHO  Like so many things we are told the end of the world is coming. Its not a good thing but our lakes are improved in some ways but then harmed in others. The little devils seam to flourish for the first years but then seam to cycle like most species. It never got as bad as the news said it would. Like other bad plants or animals if we are going to beat them it will probably happen with chemicals or another species of plant or animals. We have seen some of our invasive species follow the migration pattern of water foul. 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, Sixball said:

Hat to say it but its just a matter of time. JMHO  Like so many things we are told the end of the world is coming. Its not a good thing but our lakes are improved in some ways but then harmed in others. The little devils seam to flourish for the first years but then seam to cycle like most species. It never got as bad as the news said it would. Like other bad plants or animals if we are going to beat them it will probably happen with chemicals or another species of plant or animals. We have seen some of our invasive species follow the migration pattern of water foul. 

Yeah they are in the lake my parents cottage is on because it’s an inlet to Lake Michigan. They were very high 10-15 years ago then they dropped off big time. They eat themselves out of food. They do clear the water up though. 

9 hours ago, Pra4sno said:

Good to hear people are doing that stuff.  How are they able to actually enforce it with internal tanks?

Here we have inspections and then they band your boat to the trailer for if you switch water bodies - for them to inspect internal ballast tanks it seems like they prescribe to a "hope and a prayer" as I've been on buddies surf boats and they don't check the tanks.  

Have you not been through the process?  They use a hotsy and fill your bags or tanks, flush the engine with 120degree water.  Then you’re considered decontaminated.  If you’re already tagged they let you on.  But if you go somewhere that doesn’t tag or the tags not reciprocated then they send you back to decon.

2 hours ago, racer808 said:

Have you not been through the process?  They use a hotsy and fill your bags or tanks, flush the engine with 120degree water.  Then you’re considered decontaminated.  If you’re already tagged they let you on.  But if you go somewhere that doesn’t tag or the tags not reciprocated then they send you back to decon.

I ski the same res all year with my boat.  I have no ballast.  The spring check is the complete one for me, but they really only check my transom plug has been out for the winter and the boat is dry inside.  I haven't had them flush my motor.

I've been through with buddies and they don't do anything with their ballast tanks throughout the year.  Maybe 5-10 times.  I could be missing something.

Edited by Pra4sno

I question the need to flush the motor. I have never herd or seen any evidence of mussels in the cooling system of a motor. Our operating temp should be enough to do the same as a flush.