Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stock rf 12. Custom ported box?

kwebster1

Has anyone built a tuned ported box for the stock rf12? I don't think the sub sounds all that bad since I built a new sealed box, but wouldn't mind it being a little louder with going to ported that would fit in the same loaction. 2014 23lsv

I have not built one or hear the RF marine 12" in a porter. It would certainly increase the volume over a sealed, but based on the woofer's t/s parameters,  The woofer is better suited for sealed. hard to say how it will sound and perform. This is a scenario where I would want a quality mono amp over the usual bridged 2 chnl OEM amp. 

On 1/26/2018 at 7:05 PM, MLA said:

I have not built one or hear the RF marine 12" in a porter. It would certainly increase the volume over a sealed, but based on the woofer's t/s parameters,  The woofer is better suited for sealed. hard to say how it will sound and perform. This is a scenario where I would want a quality mono amp over the usual bridged 2 chnl OEM amp. 

Understood. Eventually may get the exile 12 and amp combo, but I gotta stop spending money for a while lol. Just trying to come up with cost effective ways to get better sound. I'll probably just leave it alone unless someone has done the ported setup with good success.

I have tried it in two sealed and one ported box.  Without much in the way of expert tuning, I am likely not a good source of information for you, but happy to share my experiences.  My woodworking skills are decent and I had a fair set of tools, with a heated garage so I played a bit over the winter.  First box was sealed with close to 1.5 cu.  It sounded pretty decent.  I then went to a smaller 1.0 cu sealed box and didn't like it as much.  I then tried going to a ported box with likely closer to 1.5 or 1.6cu and enjoyed that better than the 1.0cu sealed box, but probably not more than the 1.5 sealed. 

On 2/1/2018 at 3:26 PM, JeffK said:

I have tried it in two sealed and one ported box.  Without much in the way of expert tuning, I am likely not a good source of information for you, but happy to share my experiences.  My woodworking skills are decent and I had a fair set of tools, with a heated garage so I played a bit over the winter.  First box was sealed with close to 1.5 cu.  It sounded pretty decent.  I then went to a smaller 1.0 cu sealed box and didn't like it as much.  I then tried going to a ported box with likely closer to 1.5 or 1.6cu and enjoyed that better than the 1.0cu sealed box, but probably not more than the 1.5 sealed. 

Cool, I aprrciate it. If I remember right I made mine to their spec of 1 cu ft. Just for grins, might shove some poly fill in to try the trickery of faking a larger box. Unless mla says otherwise lol

A little poly fill can simulate a little larger volume. May also try reducing the volume to .8 with some wood blocks. 

What amp is pushing you woofer. im guessing you've re-tuned it when the new box was put it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2018 at 5:26 PM, MLA said:

A little poly fill can simulate a little larger volume. May also try reducing the volume to .8 with some wood blocks. 

What amp is pushing you woofer. im guessing you've re-tuned it when the new box was put it?

Stock rf amp is pushing the sub. Yes I did some tuning after the new box was put in.