Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help me with a drone

RyanB

10 hours ago, RyanB said:

@Stevo, so I did a little photo editing yesterday.  Part of my problem is that I am not changing the settings before I fly because I am impatient and just want to get out there.  My travel this week is going to be cold, so I might bring the drone and try playing more with the setting as I won't have as much incentive to stand outside flying.

The photos are still getting washed out, so I need to use a filter.  But I am not sure on that as when I took a photo on the ground, the colors were not bad.

Photo near the ground (which I don't think is terribly washed out).

eaBzZH1.jpg

And then in flight.

9SYtpYl.jpg

CuMnzAD.jpg

tLaBdy9.jpg

Are you flying in auto or manual camera settings? Everything is a little over exposed. 

I’ve found in auto all of the trees look very very green. 

Sometimes you have no idea on if it’s good or not until you actually get it uploaded. Even here the whites are a little over exposed. 

Then you can manually adjust to get a neat look. 

Edited by Cole2001
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Cole2001 said:

Are you flying in auto or manual camera settings? Everything is a little over exposed. 

I’ve found in auto all of the trees look very very green. 

Auto

IMO, before dumping cash into an expensive drone, get your feet nice and wet flying (and crashing) a cheapie.  Get yourself a $50 special on Amazon and fly the crap out of it.  It will be fun and you'll learn a lot about control (and how to get a drone out of a tree).  You'll experience power loss, how wind impacts your flight path, understanding how far away is too far, etc.  That cheap drone will pay for itself in the experience it gives you.  

On 2/14/2018 at 5:34 AM, Nitrousbird said:

IMO, before dumping cash into an expensive drone, get your feet nice and wet flying (and crashing) a cheapie.  Get yourself a $50 special on Amazon and fly the crap out of it.  It will be fun and you'll learn a lot about control (and how to get a drone out of a tree).  You'll experience power loss, how wind impacts your flight path, understanding how far away is too far, etc.  That cheap drone will pay for itself in the experience it gives you.  

You mean like the one i got for Christmas and flew about a half dozen times before i tried to see how high it would go in my yard at 2 am?  I lost control and it went down in a neighbors yard (checked 3 different neighbors yards) never to be seen again. Crushed my drone dreams. 

5 hours ago, isellacuras said:

You mean like the one i got for Christmas and flew about a half dozen times before i tried to see how high it would go in my yard at 2 am?  I lost control and it went down in a neighbors yard (checked 3 different neighbors yards) never to be seen again. Crushed my drone dreams. 

Don’t recommend flying any drone at 2am , especially in a wooded rural area. This story feels like it’s missing some important information that preceded the decision to fly it at 2am?

91E2DBD0-7B78-4BDC-A1D7-42ECAAB077BB.gif

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 4
6 hours ago, isellacuras said:

I used to build rockets with my boys back when they were in elementary school.  We sent up a pretty large rocket with a C engine, good flight, second stage worked, parachuted down within 10 feet of the launch (amazing), it was a really calm day.  We then sent a smaller rocket fitted with a D engine.  It disappeared in the sky, we simply watched it go up until we could no longer see it and never heard/saw the parachute.  Searched a 100 yard radius, no luck.  I convinced my younger son that it went into orbit.

I still have all that stuff (minus my favorite rocket), I need to bust that out.  Sorry for the hijack.

15 hours ago, Stevo said:

Don’t recommend flying any drone at 2am , especially in a wooded rural area. This story feels like it’s missing some important information that preceded the decision to fly it at 2am?

91E2DBD0-7B78-4BDC-A1D7-42ECAAB077BB.gif

Welllllll?  It was a heavily wooded rural area. We have several 150+ foot trees surrounding our property with a large grassy area in the middle. I had been flying it in the open area for a couple days and was getting the hang of flying it in the high speed setting. I had a couple adult beverages but was well within the drone flying legal limit. I liked flying it at night where you could use the lights to determine its direction. This was a relatively inexpensive drone that had a cheap camera that i hadn't even set up yet so i was flying it by line of sight, not using the monitor (my phone). Like i mentioned, i wanted to see how high i could fly it so i sent it up up and away.  As i was increasing elevation, the drone had a tendency to spin. When it got way up there, i tried to go left and it went right (must have spun 180*) so i tried to go right and lower it but as i lowered it, it must have spun another 180 because when i went right it went left and kept going away from me. I could see it coming down on the other side of the trees and slowling moving further and further away. I was tracking it and had a pretty good idea of the area it might have landed. I wanted to go look for it at night while the lights were still on but out here in the country, neighbors have guns so i thought better of it after some words of wisdom from my logical more sober wife. The next day i went on the hunt with no luck. My drone days are over. For newbie drone owners, i recommend writing your phone number on the bird in hopes that a good sumeritian might look for its rightful owner. My son also got the same drone and i have been contemplating hijacking it to hone my skills but have yet to do so. I am thinking of getting one of the mini racing drones since my property would be a good place to fly something like that. 

• 3 months later...

Flew for about 20 minutes at home tonight, without any issues.

Still having the sky wash out even though I try to get it to focus before the shot.

aqdKHQ5.jpg

KsPRjRu.jpg

Flew my Mavic air the other night at sunset and got some pretty cool pics using the auto mode:

DJI_0050.JPG

Chaska_Sunset_Pano.JPG

On 5/23/2018 at 8:11 PM, RyanB said:

So, the last three times I have flown, I keep losing visual control and getting this message.

osa8u5I.jpg

I’ve had that happen, mine was a bad cable, the flat micro USB to lightning cable seems to get pinched sometimes when packing up the controller in the bag. 

Swapped cables and back to normal.

i read on the DJI forum that some phones fly better in airplane mode especially if tour are getting several incoming messages or data.  

On 23/05/2018 at 9:12 PM, RyanB said:

Flew for about 20 minutes at home tonight, without any issues.

Still having the sky wash out even though I try to get it to focus before the shot.

aqdKHQ5.jpg

KsPRjRu.jpg

Try playing with your exposure lock if you are shooting in auto.  This video cleared a lot of things up for me.

@Stevo someone else suggested to me to try airplane mode. I think that’s my next step. 

Flying in town hasn’t been problems. But when I have been in areas with limited cell reception is when i has trouble. 

Ill look at the cable as well. 

@SkiZilla thanks. I’ll give that a try. 

I thought I bought with plenty of time to practice before summer started. But somehow the nice weather when I want to be flying with the boat snuck up on me. 

• 3 months later...