Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Color Opinion - 2018 Malibu 21 VLX

WhiteWaterWeb

Hi all - I hope you are well. New member and new Malibu owner; I just purchased a 2018 Malibu 21 VLX and I am very excited.

Having issues picking a color though and want to get some opinions on charcoal hulls. I am a clean freak and take really good care of all my stuff - but I am just wondering how it will look now (water spots, etc.) and 5 years from now (with the sun, etc.). Here is what I am thinking of going with (where it looks white it is actually 'moonbeam'):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L-YcrNMys2qQhPzRIkpZHdLU-iMmKLkS/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZzReplX2qvb_sFj6PCwNWGDTzk4HhXSW/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1trTSrQaD2OG-j5t46TX0jDiluIOjwiTe/view?usp=sharing

I wanted to go with blue and grey but my wife thinks that's a bit boring for a boat like this - and I have to agree with her. Also, do we get to pick our tower color or is that just between black and white (maybe more of a question for the dealer).

Thanks for the help gang.

Cheers.

Jody

P.S. I'm a guy with a girls name :)

Edited by WhiteWaterWeb
Needed better links for sharing images.
21 minutes ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Hi all - I hope you are well. New member and new Malibu owner; I just purchased a 2018 Malibu 21 VLX and I am very excited.

Having issues picking a color though and want to get some opinions on charcoal hulls. I am a clean freak and take really good care of all my stuff - but I am just wondering how it will look now (water spots, etc.) and 5 years from now (with the sun, etc.). Here is what I am thinking of going with (where it looks white it is actually 'moonbeam'):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L-YcrNMys2qQhPzRIkpZHdLU-iMmKLkS

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZzReplX2qvb_sFj6PCwNWGDTzk4HhXSW

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1trTSrQaD2OG-j5t46TX0jDiluIOjwiTe

I wanted to go with blue and grey but my wife thinks that's a bit boring for a boat like this - and I have to agree with her. Also, do we get to pick our tower color or is that just between black and white (maybe more of a question for the dealer).

Thanks for the help gang.

Cheers.

Jody

P.S. I'm a guy with a girls name :)

We can't see your pics. You must have the private or something

Edited by Raimie
  • Like 2

I am a big fan of the grey and charcoal hulls.  And I wouldn't call the use of that green "a bit boring".  Its done to the right level - a good accent.  I'd go with grey flooring over the brown stuff with that scheme - IMO.

Ok, thanks Onwi - I appreciate the advice.

I assume everyone is happy with their Mailbu's over say something like Mastercraft? I just was impressed with the Malibu engineering (and because of that engineering a lot of manufacturers have to pay them royalties as I understand it).

5 minutes ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Ok, thanks Onwi - I appreciate the advice.

I assume everyone is happy with their Mailbu's over say something like Mastercraft? I just was impressed with the Malibu engineering (and because of that engineering a lot of manufacturers have to pay them royalties as I understand it).

Master craft makes a great boat, their attention to detail (fit-finish)/ engineering are great. 

Personally I just don't think they produce a wave that is on par with other manufacturers. This could change with the nex xstar.

but for my $$ Malibu is the way to go.

DId you look at the MLX?

I have a  2017 21 VLX.  I think it's my 15th Malibu.  You'll love the 21 VLX.  It's actually a rather amazing package.  No need to look at MCs unless you want to pay more for less performance.

Edited by 85 Barefoot

Yes, I did. I guess I am a traditionalist...I liked the normal bow design, not a fan of the pickle fork...but that's just me.

Mastercraft does make a great boat; I have used my buddies 2017 X10 and it was very good. I almost went for the XT21 but I noticed that that boat was starting to drop some of the Mastercraft 'bling' in order (I think) to better compete with boats like the 21 VLX/MLX. With a 5 year warranty and enough bling on the VLX for me I went for engineering and the best wave for surf/wakeboarding that I could get in a 21.

I am loving this board by the way - it's just great to be able to chat with other Malibu owners. I would love to hit up a Malibu event with my new rig - I'm a Canadian though so a drive out to Cali would be tough. LOL.

I think that boat looks sweet! I am not a fan of green at all but I really like this color scheme. Just enough green accent with neutral main colors. Love the matching green seat boxing and piping. I really like when people implement some of the exterior accent color into the interior! Well done! I would have to agree with @onwi on switching to the gray flooring. I love the brown flooring but with the gray on the exterior and the interior I think it would mesh better. IMO!

Looks great man!

As to the green, if you have not seen Malibu's green in person, I'd suggest you do so first.  It's not quite the electric green that the others use.  I had a green axis.  Was not my favorite.  If you love it after seeing it in person, great, but its more bile than green.

Here are some real life photos

C8CBCFDF-A29F-4127-8C40-F33844261C41-1771-0000018522BBAA5F.jpeg

A7A659C8-399E-4D65-9C85-2D490753CA63-1771-00000185366329DE.jpeg

F08CDF81-7DB3-489C-94EC-53C9BF713EB3-1771-0000018544E9CD71.jpeg

I like the green against the black, but not with the white. I'd keep it 2 colors , and carry over the green into a minimal accent color on the interior. 

Edited by Stevo

Thanks CBray; I have to think about the suede vs. grey foam flooring now. I wanted to be a bit different and I originally thought the suede looked a bit more decadent - but maybe it doesn't work with this color scheme.

The last thing I am debating on is using the moonbeam vs. light graphite for the hull (front and top, interior color)...as per attached (shown with both suede and grey flooring).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UUU5WnoRGveV0JDmKr5x1efTsna2mydc/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yx6zFHN4EsDc6EH0I_JIRVgBac0vttze/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LiedNzFpmx8akKEmoi395zoGP2Vu2m0P/view?usp=sharing

Thanks Stevo, Barefoot - I do like the green but only placed subtly; this is why I left it off the back and swim step. I was thinking of going with charcoal and vapor blue too - but my wife wanted a bit more pop (plus our old boat was vapo blue like). Is the charcoal hull easy to keep clean (water spots and such)? I assume way better than black...

I have no problem keeping my charcoal hull clean.  I spray it down every time I get off the water.  If I skip a spray it just takes a bit more elbow grease.  Occasional waxes and, if needed, a light cut can always be done.

I’d disagree with Cbray on the floor.  I personally think the suede looks much richer, and looks best with black, greys, and white.  The grey softgrip looks boaring to me.  I can’t comment on the charcoal hull, but the light graphite is very easy to keep up and looks great.  I have a black hull and never had issues keeping it clean and water spot free until I spent a week on Lake shasta.  My water spots were so bad I had to take it to a detail shop for them to buff out.  Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about charcoal, just get what you think looks best.  You will be happier in the long run. Re: the 21vlx.  I have a 2017 and it’s really an amazing boat.  There are a few good threads to read though on this site.  Here is a good place to start if you haven’t already.   Congrats on the new ride! 

Congrats on the new boat! Not sure about the main tower colors but I know you can’t get the tower hoop and arch powder coated to match the main tower on the 21 VLX and 21 MLX. Those will be the stainless color you see in the boatbuilder.

How about going with a black gator step interior like @Wakesetter67‘s? There’s a group buy discount going on for it right now too.

02A3164F-59EF-4C4A-85E7-C566BA4715C3.jpeg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, WhiteWaterWeb said:

Anyone know of a group discount going for the clamping board racks? I want those...

Your best bet is to order them with your boat.  You get a credit back to you for swapping out the bungee racks.  I’m sure you can get your dealer to discount then even further after that. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, CBray4 said:

I think that boat looks sweet! I am not a fan of green at all but I really like this color scheme. Just enough green accent with neutral main colors. Love the matching green seat boxing and piping. I really like when people implement some of the exterior accent color into the interior! Well done! I would have to agree with @onwi on switching to the gray flooring. I love the brown flooring but with the gray on the exterior and the interior I think it would mesh better. IMO!

Looks great man!

You guys now have me worried about my color choices. Just ordered a 23 LSV with suede flooring. The exterior is white, black and stratosphere blue metallic (not very accurate depiction of the boat builder). Probably not too late to change, but my wife really likes the suede look. What does everyone think?

B9ED8D67-2FFE-49AE-BE13-E16F61156632.thumb.jpeg.0f21fa7ec402700ad8987764c3513db3.jpegF3803051-5198-48B6-8398-4050496A9F82.thumb.jpeg.5cd73371f9bbdf1caf3c6fbb3bf4cd86.jpeg