Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

simplest ballast install

JulioEstevez

6 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

Couple things.  

1 - Im trying to check all your hose sizes and Im not sure the wye is the one you want.  That looks for 1-1/8" hose. 

Brett B used 1 1/8 wye fitting and heat/elbow grease to fit the 1" tube on, I figured I would do the same (probably less restriction for the water)

2 - You have 3 threaded hose barbs 3/4" thread 1" hose - I think you only need the one off the valve

Yeah i'm not sure about my ballast fitting size and I figured a couple extra wouldn't hurt in case one breaks or something... they're pretty cheap

3 - I dont see overflow plumbing.  Im guessing youll want to piggyback into the existing system which is likely 3/4" but I could be wrong. 

Going without overflow for now, might add it later. I know, people get thrown rocks around here for not having overflow but i'll keep an eye on the bags while they fill

4 - You mentioned electrical but just to note. I dont see any wires, distribution box or fuses.  Im guessing youre ordering that somewhere else.  You also need the wires for the back fo the switches, and may want a mounting kit to make a clean install

-If youre not electrically inclined https://www.wakemakers.com/premium-reversible-pump-wiring-harness.html will save you some time and headaches, but its a pretty easy install and this will cost you a little more $$

I'll do the electrical wiring myself, it's not really hard to do and I learned a lot while doing my audio make-over 2 years ago. I'll get the electrical stuff somewhere else. I'll probably have questions later before I get down to it.

5 - I would push you towards the crimp bands rather than the screw ones. They cheaper, so itll nearly cover the cost of the crimper and you wont have those sharp ends.  I ran out of the bands on my build and had to use the screw type and ended up taping them to keep the sharp edges away from my bags. 

I'll look into that thanks

6 - Id consider quick releases.  Trying to twist on the bags in the lockers is harder than it should be. and youll for sure need at least one set for either inlet/outlet or overflow since your cant spin the bag with both plumbed in

I'm adding that to the list

7 - Other things to have on hand to make this way easier. 

-Heat gun or pot of boiling water to soften the plastic.  Otherwise its a nightmare to get these things on.  Lots of guys use a cheapo heat gun from harbor freight. 

-Tube cutter - the bands in the tube make it nearly impossible to cut with a knife

-PTFE tape for the two metal fittings. 

I got these

Want me to keep spending your money?... please stop  next Id look at engine divider kit. yeah i'm planning on making them myself with aluminum U channel... gotta cut costs somewhere

Lastly, if youre a member here I believe youll get a discount at wakemakers...so theres that

I appreciate the time you took for your advice thank you very much!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kojak said:

The straight covers from Wakemakers will work just fine.  I put them in the dash when I did my ballast install.  I wanted a bit of difference in looks and labeling compared to the MLS switches.  That way I always know for sure which pump I'm turning on/off.

ah good to know! thanks

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to follow up on my install, i finished everything last saturday! It took a lot longer to install than i expected (around 6-7h), but everything went well. 

I went with the two johnson ultra pumps feeding off the t-plug drain garboard with a Y. One pumps goes directly to a rear locker bag, the other goes to the bosworth 3way valve for the other locker bag and the bow bag. I hid the 3way valve behind the side panel next to the cupholders behind the driver seat, so you can't see it but i can easily reach it to fill/drain the bow bag.

It works flawlessly! I don't have stock ballast at all in the sunscape so it is a game changer for me. Total fill time is around 10-12 mins, which is faster than i need to get to our surf spot anyway.

Total cost was around 600$, excluding the 3 sacs that i already had.

Thanks to everyone that helped me figure out my ideal setup! 

• Like 2