Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

simplest ballast install

JulioEstevez

hello!

My boat doesn't have MLS at all, so we throw the pump in the lake and fill the two locker bags and the bow bag one after the other. I don't have too much of an issue with it, but I was wondering if my idea made sense at all...

I want to keep it as simple as possible, so I thought I could use the drain hole, put a ball valve for security, put a T connector with two reversible pump, one for each locker bag. I would fill them one at a time but at least I wouldn't need to jump in the locker to plug an unplug the pump everytime. My question is first, does it make sense, and second will the pump that is not in use block the water while the running pump is filling or emptying its bag?                                               

(drain hole)------(ball valve)-------T splitter------reversible pump on each end going to ballast bag

I don't mind the filling and emptying time, we usually spend the whole day on the water and are never in a hurry to go for a quick surf session

thanks!

8 minutes ago, JulioEstevez said:

drain hole)------(ball valve)-------T splitter------reversible pump on each end going to ballast bag

Drain hole as bilge drain garboard? You've listed 3 sacs but only seeing 2 sacs getting plumbed in. With that said, you can run 2 pumps of a single inlet and the bilge drain garboard can be used. yes, a not in use impeller pump will hold water or not let let water pass. 

Yes i'm talking about the t handle drain hole in the bilge. For the bow bag, we would still be throwing the pump overboard, we could fill that one while the locker bags are being filled one after the other. 

Thanks!!

I assume you mean using the threaded drain hole by the V-drive.

I use that hole with a ball valve, but it isn't quite big enough to properly feed two impeller pumps.  I'd use it for one but drill a second hole for another pump. 

Just now, JulioEstevez said:

Yes i'm talking about the t handle drain hole in the bilge. For the bow bag, we would still be throwing the pump overboard, we could fill that one while the locker bags are being filled one after the other. 

Thanks!!

Quit with the stupid pumps over the side.  Just do it right and be done with it.  A proper setup may cost a bit more but will up the enjoyment of the boat way more.  Pumps over the side is for newbs that don't know better.  

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Quit with the stupid pumps over the side.  Just do it right and be done with it.  A proper setup may cost a bit more but will up the enjoyment of the boat way more.  Pumps over the side is for newbs that don't know better.  

Ahahahahaha

I knew that was coming at some point. I don't want to throw too much money on the boat as i will probably be upgrading soon, which means new lift as well and i haven't figured out how to print money in my basement yet :rofl:

10 hours ago, JulioEstevez said:

I would fill them one at a time but at

Even if the gardoard is .75", its a non-issue filling one at a time. Heck, im not worried about a .75" supplying 2 simultaneously, although I do prefer at least a 1". If you do the math with static water water, .75" does not seem to be enough. However, many dont realize the supply of water is not static. Using the existing garboard and then adding a 2nd for the other pump, would cost more then up-sizing the existing garboard to a larger thru-hull

With this said, it would not be large cost difference to pull a .75 garboard and install a 1" mushroom and ball valve. More then adequate to supply to pumps running at the same time. 

2 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

If your are trying to save money, why not use 1 reversible pump and put a inline valve to each bag or one of these y valves? https://www.wakemakers.com/bosworth-y-valve.html

Might take a bit longer but would save around $200.

yup, very good idea.

I need to figure out where I would install the Y valve, the point is to make the process simpler. With the two pumps, i can sit at the helm and fill/empty both sides by flipping switches... with the Y valve, I'd have to get up/move people around to get to it... I'll see if there is a way to put it in an easily reachable location 

1 hour ago, JulioEstevez said:

yup, very good idea.

I need to figure out where I would install the Y valve, the point is to make the process simpler. With the two pumps, i can sit at the helm and fill/empty both sides by flipping switches... with the Y valve, I'd have to get up/move people around to get to it... I'll see if there is a way to put it in an easily reachable location 

My Y valve is in the port dash locker by the amps. You have to open the hatch but that's not so bad and it's a good place for the hose routing from the back end to the ski locker and bow. I have an LSV so it has a ski locker, which is big enough for a 600 pound bag.

• Like 1

Two pumps running off of  one thru hull for me as well.  Both 910 bags fill at same time in about 10 minutes.  I have Y valves mounted through the seat bases in back corners to fill bags under port and starboard side seats........reach down and twist the valves.

• Like 1

^^Both good and both almost exactly what you wanna do.  You could save a few bucks and just use 1 pump I suppose but Im guessing the next guy who buys your boat will appreciate the extra mile.  The new reversibles are screamin fast too. 

1 hour ago, 05hammerhead said:

^^Both good and both almost exactly what you wanna do.  You could save a few bucks and just use 1 pump I suppose but Im guessing the next guy who buys your boat will appreciate the extra mile.  The new reversibles are screamin fast too. 

The 2012 thread is exactly what i needed, can't believe i didn't land on it when searching around...

I keep going back to 2 pumps to the rear lockers, i think it will make it much nicer to use. Thanks a lot everyone i'll report back when I get into it in a couple months

I installed two reversible pumps on one through hull opening with a y fitting for the rear bags.  I put a two way valve on one of those lines to fill my front bag.  Works great!!  Fill both rears at the same time then flip the valve and fill the front.

• Like 1
On 1/26/2018 at 2:24 PM, JulioEstevez said:

The 2012 thread is exactly what i needed, can't believe i didn't land on it when searching around...

I keep going back to 2 pumps to the rear lockers, i think it will make it much nicer to use. Thanks a lot everyone i'll report back when I get into it in a couple months

Yeah, its a good one, and exactly what I did with mine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:32 AM, hunter77ah said:

If your are trying to save money, why not use 1 reversible pump and put a inline valve to each bag or one of these y valves? https://www.wakemakers.com/bosworth-y-valve.html

Might take a bit longer but would save around $200.

Unless running small bags, that will take forever.  I run two Y-valves; one for my front/midship tanks, as those take almost the exact same time together as one of my 1100lb locker bags (which only fill to around 900), so it makes sense in that application.  The other is for my port under seat bag, which is only about 300lbs, so it is fed off of the starboard locker pump, but even then it gets to be a bit annoying.  I've only not put a 4th pump in due to a bit of the lazy gene kicking in, along with not wanting to eat up additional storage space, as the V-drive area can't reasonably house more than 3 pumps without ticking me off trying to service them.

To the OP - don't forget the lead.  I have 300 currently with another 150 that should be on my door step this week with the Lead Wake group buy 20% discount.  

18 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Unless running small bags, that will take forever.  I run two Y-valves; one for my front/midship tanks, as those take almost the exact same time together as one of my 1100lb locker bags (which only fill to around 900), so it makes sense in that application.  The other is for my port under seat bag, which is only about 300lbs, so it is fed off of the starboard locker pump, but even then it gets to be a bit annoying.  I've only not put a 4th pump in due to a bit of the lazy gene kicking in, along with not wanting to eat up additional storage space, as the V-drive area can't reasonably house more than 3 pumps without ticking me off trying to service them.

To the OP - don't forget the lead.  I have 300 currently with another 150 that should be on my door step this week with the Lead Wake group buy 20% discount.  

Dont forget the new ballast king pumps move rediculous amounts of water now.  Claims are 50% faster than original.   120 lbs/min.  12 mins doesnt seem too unreasonable for filling 2-750s.  Id be curious to see how that would compare to my system where I run 2 ballast puppies out of 1-1" inlet.  I bet its not too far off. 

https://www.wakemakers.com/jabsco-ballast-king-reversible-pump.html

14 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

Dont forget the new ballast king pumps move rediculous amounts of water now.  Claims are 50% faster than original.   120 lbs/min.  12 mins doesnt seem too unreasonable for filling 2-750s.  Id be curious to see how that would compare to my system where I run 2 ballast puppies out of 1-1" inlet.  I bet its not too far off. 

https://www.wakemakers.com/jabsco-ballast-king-reversible-pump.html

For the price you will be better off running two pumps rather than that one big pump.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

For the price you will be better off running two pumps rather than that one big pump.

Like the idea, but youre thinking too small.  You buy the one big pump now, then next winter when you decide you want that extra one and dont mind drilling now you have 2 big pumps!   Or you get CFO authorization for 1 pump and next year find a way to get authorization for another.  :P

5 hours ago, 05hammerhead said:

Like the idea, but youre thinking too small.  You buy the one big pump now, then next winter when you decide you want that extra one and dont mind drilling now you have 2 big pumps!   Or you get CFO authorization for 1 pump and next year find a way to get authorization for another.  :P

I require zero authorization from the CFO - my money is mine, hers is hers.  Otherwise, I'd have a very stock boat. :(

I just don't find my pumps to be so slow to justify the upgrade cost.  If I bought another boat and needed to do a ballast system, then I might consider it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright i'm getting my order ready, jusy need to get to thr boat and check on my ballast bags to make sure the fittings are the right size (pretty sure they are both 1" threaded holes)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1otV3qTrnzgom0Sffu9Jy3cZSiUSouA78/view?usp=drivesdk

This should be the order, i'll make sure I have the electrical stuff. I still have to figure out exactly how my connections are going to be done. I think I have two unused switches on my dash, i'll need to figure out the breakers they are wired to on the panel.

Edit: wrong switches/covers to replace the dash.. seems only bakes sells the malibu curved ones...

Edited by JulioEstevez
2 hours ago, JulioEstevez said:

Alright i'm getting my order ready, jusy need to get to thr boat and check on my ballast bags to make sure the fittings are the right size (pretty sure they are both 1" threaded holes)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1otV3qTrnzgom0Sffu9Jy3cZSiUSouA78/view?usp=drivesdk

This should be the order, i'll make sure I have the electrical stuff. I still have to figure out exactly how my connections are going to be done. I think I have two unused switches on my dash, i'll need to figure out the breakers they are wired to on the panel.

Edit: wrong switches/covers to replace the dash.. seems only bakes sells the malibu curved ones...

Couple things.  

1 - Im trying to check all your hose sizes and Im not sure the wye is the one you want.  That looks for 1-1/8" hose. 

2 - You have 3 threaded hose barbs 3/4" thread 1" hose - I think you only need the one off the valve

3 - I dont see overflow plumbing.  Im guessing youll want to piggyback into the existing system which is likely 3/4" but I could be wrong. 

4 - You mentioned electrical but just to note. I dont see any wires, distribution box or fuses.  Im guessing youre ordering that somewhere else.  You also need the wires for the back fo the switches, and may want a mounting kit to make a clean install

-If youre not electrically inclined https://www.wakemakers.com/premium-reversible-pump-wiring-harness.html will save you some time and headaches, but its a pretty easy install and this will cost you a little more $$

5 - I would push you towards the crimp bands rather than the screw ones. They cheaper, so itll nearly cover the cost of the crimper and you wont have those sharp ends.  I ran out of the bands on my build and had to use the screw type and ended up taping them to keep the sharp edges away from my bags. 

6 - Id consider quick releases.  Trying to twist on the bags in the lockers is harder than it should be. and youll for sure need at least one set for either inlet/outlet or overflow since your cant spin the bag with both plumbed in

7 - Other things to have on hand to make this way easier. 

-Heat gun or pot of boiling water to soften the plastic.  Otherwise its a nightmare to get these things on.  Lots of guys use a cheapo heat gun from harbor freight. 

-Tube cutter - the bands in the tube make it nearly impossible to cut with a knife

-PTFE tape for the two metal fittings. 

Want me to keep spending your money?...next Id look at engine divider kit.

Lastly, if youre a member here I believe youll get a discount at wakemakers...so theres that

9 hours ago, JulioEstevez said:

The straight covers from Wakemakers will work just fine.  I put them in the dash when I did my ballast install.  I wanted a bit of difference in looks and labeling compared to the MLS switches.  That way I always know for sure which pump I'm turning on/off.