Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2014 24 MXZ Owners

Koop

I'm looking at a '14 24 MXZ next week.  I've got a couple questions for those of you who own or have ridden behind a '14 24 MXZ.  I've never been in a 24 MXZ but am looking to upgrade in size from our current '08 VTX that we bought new in '09.  The only reason I'm contemplating upgrading is size,  family is getting older and we need a little more space (20 feet is getting cramped with 4 ladies and their friends)  Was actually keeping my eye out for a LSV and came across the MXZ.   We foil 30% surf 40% tube 10% and lounge/float 20% of the time we are on the water.  I've researched the heck out of this particular year and model but want feedback from real world users. 

How much extra weight do people usually run?   Couple bags plumbed in lockers and some hidden weight up front enough to get a fun surfable wave?  

Boat has the 409  and will be used @1260' primarily.  Thinking motor will be fine if propped correctly?

Believe the screen had some issues in this model yr?

Any recall or know issues I should look for?

It's on an SB trailer... aside from a post on the forum from last yr about a SB trailer with split weld's... I've got no experience or knowledge of them.  Heard it's good to have this monster on a triple axle, one I'm looking at is on a tandem.  Lake is 2 min away, so not a huge issue.... have a 3/4 ton diesel for towing.

Likes and dislikes about the boat?

Don't post very often but lurk and suck up knowledge the crew has to offer regularilly.  I'm aware of all the extra goodies a 2015 would bring......  I've seen how the posts can quickly get derailed!  Just looking for first hand knowledge and opinions from 2014 24 MXZ users.

ahopkins22LSV
4 hours ago, Stevo said:

Nothing wrong with the screen , but 2014 has the 1 and done dash. 2015 is where the 12 inch display premiered. 

I think that was only on the 2014 LSV. I believe the up to 2014 mxz’s have the same dash as 2010’s through 13’s. 

10 hours ago, Koop said:

I'm looking at a '14 24 MXZ next week.  I've got a couple questions for those of you who own or have ridden behind a '14 24 MXZ.  I've never been in a 24 MXZ but am looking to upgrade in size from our current '08 VTX that we bought new in '09.  The only reason I'm contemplating upgrading is size,  family is getting older and we need a little more space (20 feet is getting cramped with 4 ladies and their friends)  Was actually keeping my eye out for a LSV and came across the MXZ.   We foil 30% surf 40% tube 10% and lounge/float 20% of the time we are on the water.  I've researched the heck out of this particular year and model but want feedback from real world users. 

How much extra weight do people usually run?   Couple bags plumbed in lockers and some hidden weight up front enough to get a fun surfable wave?  

Boat has the 409  and will be used @1260' primarily.  Thinking motor will be fine if propped correctly?

Believe the screen had some issues in this model yr?

Any recall or know issues I should look for?

It's on an SB trailer... aside from a post on the forum from last yr about a SB trailer with split weld's... I've got no experience or knowledge of them.  Heard it's good to have this monster on a triple axle, one I'm looking at is on a tandem.  Lake is 2 min away, so not a huge issue.... have a 3/4 ton diesel for towing.

Likes and dislikes about the boat?

Don't post very often but lurk and suck up knowledge the crew has to offer regularilly.  I'm aware of all the extra goodies a 2015 would bring......  I've seen how the posts can quickly get derailed!  Just looking for first hand knowledge and opinions from 2014 24 MXZ users.

I really like my 22MXZ.  We have 550s in the back and prior to this winter didn't have any extra bow ballast.  The surf wave is good with just the plug in play but will get bigger with more weight (as if you didn't already know that).

I haven't had any real screen issues.  I will occasionally get a blue screen on my center screen, but a quick restart takes care of the problem.

We have the 409 as well.  We use the "torque" prop- 2419- and only have an issue planing if everything is full, the wedge is down and everyone (600+lbs of people) are sitting in the back.  The boat will still plane, but it takes a few extra seconds.  With the extra length on the 24, you might not have the same issue.  

Any other questions, just let me know.  I love my MXZ and would recommend it.  The 24 will not be lacking in size.

Don't mean to derail like you spoke of but we were looking at the same boats as you. Early 22-24MXZ's and we loved them! We decided to go with a new 2018 Axis A24. Great boats at a great price. Get exactly what you want(colors and options). Warranty is what sold us honestly. Little more money but we had a trade-in so it equaled out pretty decently. 

Sorry, don't kill me for this! Just sharing what we did from a similar situation. 

33 minutes ago, CBray4 said:

Don't mean to derail like you spoke of but we were looking at the same boats as you. Early 22-24MXZ's and we loved them! We decided to go with a new 2018 Axis A24. Great boats at a great price. Get exactly what you want(colors and options). Warranty is what sold us honestly. Little more money but we had a trade-in so it equaled out pretty decently. 

Sorry, don't kill me for this! Just sharing what we did from a similar situation. 

Wife..... (and myself to a certain extent)can’t get past the dash on the Axis models.  

18 minutes ago, Koop said:

Wife..... (and myself to a certain extent)can’t get past the dash on the Axis models.  

I completely understand that. We all have our preferences. It definitely isn't nearly as pretty as the Malibu. The new Malibu dash has me drooling after the boat show. UGH! I need to make more money! ha

Newer dashes are very nice.  There is a ‘15 22vlx I found, but it’s $15 000 more than the ‘14 mxz. Nicer dash, PW2 etc... but a substantially smaller boat for more money!

Since you mentioned surfing and you were looking at LSV’s, a ‘14 LSV is going to have a slightly better surf wave and will take less weight to get there. It’s probably not much different in price since their resale has been holding better than the MXZs.

Thanks for the reminder on the ‘14 LSV’s motor. Kind of hard to find a 15 LSV around these parts.  Not in a big rush to get anew boat... just looking for anything with more space.

Thanks Ronnie!

Koop - I have a 2015 23 LSV for sale that it not even broken in yet.  We boat in SW Oklahoma a lot where the elevation is 800 feet.  I personally think you will be more than pleased with the 350 Monsoon Motor.  Best of luck in your search.  Here are a couple pictures of mine with an OIB link if you want to see more.  I have some wiggle room in the price for a fellow TMC friend.

https://www.onlyinboards.com/2015-Malibu-Wakesetter-23-LSV-for-sale-Dallas-Texas-68278.aspx

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1074.JPG