Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help a possible Malibu owner

CBray4

A friend of mine is looking at buying a Malibu. I don’t know anything about the year and model he is looking at. It’s a 2008 247LSV. Anything in particular he should look for? He’s doing a water test next week and he wanted me to ask what he should ask or look for. He has already read through the “Buying a Used Boat” thread.  Also wanted me to ask about the price. Good/bad/decent price? Check the link below to see the boat. 

http://www.uglyjohns.com/boats-for-sale/2008-malibu-wakesetter-247-lsv-catoosa-oklahoma-6466629/

I have a 2007 247 and the link you attached looks like a pretty good boat.  I have the 8.1, but the 383 hammerhead should be fine.  I think it burns a little oil though.  Have friends do compression test and see if they have service records.

THe MUX switches have a reputation for failure.  But I think they are easily fixable.  

What is that display in the walkway?  Looks weird to me.  

Otherwise that is a great boat!  

My 247 had the Hammerhead and it was very solid on power up to over 3000 feet.   With the right prop, it could go higher, but with some sacrifice on top end.  

If the 8.1 is something he might need, I would consider this one: http://www.boulderboats.com/boats-for-sale/2007-malibu-wakesetter-247-lsv-mesa-arizona-6573482/

Edited by TallRedRider

my son works for Ugly's part time and sometimes does used demos for them so they may tag him to do it since they will be slammed with the boat show next week. If they do it close to the shop it will be on the Verdigris river. one of the best hidden riding spots on the planet. If your friend is from Tulsa he will want to remember that spot.IMG_7672.JPG.2a7aafcfc134f4b45eb197eefbff80c5.JPG

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, windy1 said:

my son works for Ugly's part time and sometimes does used demos for them so they may tag him to do it since they will be slammed with the boat show next week. If they do it close to the shop it will be on the Verdigris river. one of the best hidden riding spots on the planet. If your friend is from Tulsa he will want to remember that spot.IMG_7672.JPG.2a7aafcfc134f4b45eb197eefbff80c5.JPG

Hey man! Thanks for the info. He lives down here in OKC.  My buddy is headed up on Tuesday to do the water test. He did not tell me where they were going to do the water test at. What is your sons name if you don't mind me asking? I will tell him to ask for him. I have never dealt with Ugly's. How are they? Reputable, honest people? 

You can PM if you'd like

Edited by CBray4

They are a fine dealership as far as I know. Big dealership they sell a lot of big boats up on grand as well as Nautique. My family purchased a Maria form them back the early 90's. They hired my son because no one knows anything about wakeboarding at the dealership. He is in school and waiting to see if he is going to have boat show hours. Your buddy is probably dealing with Jason the head sales guy. He is fine but he wont know as much about a used Malibu as my son since that's what he grew up on.

Ask for Pierce and if it's nice enough he may even bring a dry suite.  

Sounds good! I will let my buddy know to ask for Pierce. 

My buddy is coming from an I/O so he doesn't know a lot either. That is precisely why he has me finding out what he needs to look for. 

57 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

If he plans to sack it out, get the big block.  383 is going to be underpowered on that boat if running her heavy, even with an aggressive prop. 

This is surprising. Granted we don’t sack it out, but never felt a lack of power with my buddy’s HH in a 247RX.  

I doubt he will sac it out to the max. He will be new to inboards and surfing and everything. I’m not sure if it has any plug n play sacs. I told him to make sure he gets some sacs with it and either make a suck gate or buy one of the ones out there. 

Any other things I should let him know to look for on the water test? Things he should make sure work properly? 

Edited by CBray4

I don’t know of anything particular of that era other than things already mentioned. Maybe grab the buying a used boat checklist from this site and send to him.  And don’t forget to look over the trailer, tires, winch, etc.   

Edited by hethj7
13 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

If he plans to sack it out, get the big block.  383 is going to be underpowered on that boat if running her heavy, even with an aggressive prop. 

So definitive.  Please define run her heavy?  I'm critical of the HH for many reasons, underpowered is not one of them.  I put 4k+ in ballast and people plus the wedge in mine and surf at 3100 rpm with no issues.  Also I'm running a 2313 prop which is not the most aggressive prop either.  

To the OP, I would make sure your friend is aware of the potential issues with the HH and also I'd have him research the "make it right" campaign that affected 2008's if I remember correctly.  I'd make sure this service was addressed.

3 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

So definitive.  Please define run her heavy?  I'm critical of the HH for many reasons, underpowered is not one of them.  I put 4k+ in ballast and people plus the wedge in mine and surf at 3100 rpm with no issues.  Also I'm running a 2313 prop which is not the most aggressive prop either.  

To the OP, I would make sure your friend is aware of the potential issues with the HH and also I'd have him research the "make it right" campaign that affected 2008's if I remember correctly.  I'd make sure this service was addressed.

Thank you for the suggestions, I will mention it to him.

Edited by CBray4

I would also ask if the power wedge actuators have been replaced. With only 180 hours they might have not started to leak yet. 

It is a question of when the seals on the actuators will fail not if.

The 3 lobe actuators on this model have been obsoleted and it is hit or miss if the new 5 lobe actuators will play nice with the Lenco controls.

Edited by BearCreekBum
3 lobe actuators have been obsoleted.
4 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

I wouldn't say that's all that heavy - the 247 is a big hull that can haul a lot of ballast.  I'll run 4k in my MUCH smaller/narrower hull with ballast and people on an even less aggressive prop (2249 - the 2313 is still a pretty aggressive prop).  I'm talking 5-6k in ballast alone plus crew the HH could struggle.

I have a buddy I ride with frequently with a 2006 247 with the 8.1 engine. 5k of ballast with 1k of it in triangle bow bag and the GSA tabs @ around 800ft elevation. Excellent wave and only runs roughly 2900rpm at 11mph. Good boat that has been very reliable, think it has around 700hrs on it.

18 hours ago, CBray4 said:

I doubt he will sac it out to the max. He will be new to inboards and surfing and everything. I’m not sure if it has any plug n play sacs. I told him to make sure he gets some sacs with it and either make a suck gate or buy one of the ones out there. 

Any other things I should let him know to look for on the water test? Things he should make sure work properly? 

Famous last words.  On water test sac that beotch out to more than you think youll need and see if youre comfortable with the noise, vibration and RPM.  Hell likely find a bunch of new friends who like surfing and the small crew can turn into a big one fast on a 25'er

• Like 2

My son is working at Uglys today and had a chance to crawl around the boat. Its a consignment boat super nice no scratches or tears one owner with records of everything from day one. Kids left the nest so the boat is for sale.

2 hours ago, windy1 said:

My son is working at Uglys today and had a chance to crawl around the boat. Its a consignment boat super nice no scratches or tears one owner with records of everything from day one. Kids left the nest so the boat is for sale.

Awesome man! Thanks for the info. Seriously appreciate it! 

What lake do you guys frequent?

Keystone lake  or the verdigris river (pictured above) depending on wind and weather. about 100 hours on the boat each of the last two years. If I remember correctly in the picture above it was blowing 25-30 MPH that day but the river is in a hole with high banks so we can always find smooth water.

1 hour ago, windy1 said:

Keystone lake  or the verdigris river (pictured above) depending on wind and weather. about 100 hours on the boat each of the last two years. If I remember correctly in the picture above it was blowing 25-30 MPH that day but the river is in a hole with high banks so we can always find smooth water.

That’s awesome! My dad had a 42ft boat on Keystone several years ago. We have a house and keep our boat at Tenkiller.