Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing ballast tanks

Just picked up my first malibu. 2002 wakesetter vlx. My question is when the season ends in oct or nov,

do the ballast tanks need to be winterized? Also can one obtain factory manuals for these boats and how do you get them. Thanks Rich in northern nj.

You can download a manual from Indmar here. Much more detailed manual from Clymer.

Others will chime in on the tanks when they get in off their boats. :) Until then, play with the search function. You'll get various results based on the words used and advanced features.

Welcome to the site!!!

Here is the 2006 manual from Malibu. You might think about emailing them or calling for a 2002 manual, not sure how much has changed from 02 to 06 as far as the small electronic stuff etc. Most of it should still be pertinent. Not sure on the ballast winterizing. I don't, but then again, my boat sits in climate controlled storage.

When we winterize our boat in September we fill all the MSL ballast tanks wih Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant to keep the tanks fom freezing. You can put a fake lake on the intake for the ballat and use a ballst pump to suck the antifreeze out of the jugs and into the MLS tanks. Then in the spring time you can pump the antifreeze back into the jugs and use it again the next season.

Serioiusly,

I don't really think it's necessary to put antifreeze into the ballast tanks. As long as you drained them as much as possible. Even if/when the temps. drop down below freezing and if there is any remainder water in there, it's got all the room in the world to expand. A little bit of water that were to freeze in a tank wouldn't do any harm. It's a different story inside the engine because the water has nowhere to expand.

Serioiusly,

I don't really think it's necessary to put antifreeze into the ballast tanks. As long as you drained them as much as possible. Even if/when the temps. drop down below freezing and if there is any remainder water in there, it's got all the room in the world to expand. A little bit of water that were to freeze in a tank wouldn't do any harm. It's a different story inside the engine because the water has nowhere to expand.

This is true, I usually run antifreeze through my pumps, but, I would think filling the tanks to be utterly unnecessary.

]

This is true, I usually run antifreeze through my pumps, but, I would think filling the tanks to be utterly unnecessary.

I would also run a little through your pumps and wouldn't worry about your tanks, for the exact reason Pete has stated. :)

When we winterize our boat in September we fill all the MSL ballast tanks wih Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant to keep the tanks fom freezing. You can put a fake lake on the intake for the ballat and use a ballst pump to suck the antifreeze out of the jugs and into the MLS tanks. Then in the spring time you can pump the antifreeze back into the jugs and use it again the next season.

Above was a joke, we live in Texas and don't even winterize our boat but, if you want to be safe pop the cartridge out of each pump.

Oh and welcome to the site VinRLX