Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tow Camera system for 2500 Denali

RCorsa

I just purchased a 2018 Denali 2500 Deisel which will be delivered next week.  This will be my tow rig and occasional truck to pull my incoming M235.  I must admit I’m green when it comes to towing as all my past boats have been lake boats but I really want to be able to take the family on ski/wake/surf trips around the west coast in the years to come.  GMC offers a $1000 “Camera package” which adds two side wide angle cameras and one wireless camera for the back of the trailer.  It looks pretty slick and integrates into the touchscreen display.  Just wondering from folks with real towing experience if this is a good option to consider or a waste. There are literally zero online reviews I can find except dealer ones which I assume increase sales.   

The only other option I’m considering is a nice painted tonneau cover (ARE or Leer) to store luggage and boards etc.  

Any and all thoughts are welcome 

Thanks in advance.  

The one on the back of the trailer would be nice. But I find cameras while driving more a distraction than anything. Good tow mirrors properly set are really all you need.

Towing cameras are probably mounted to the mirrors, and could be useful. Not sure $1k useful tho.

the wireless one interests me, but it’s new tech as far as automotive industry and not sure if it will deliver. I’d want to see it in action before pulling the trigger.

as far as covers go, do you use the bed of the truck often? I’d so the hard flat covers are kind of a pain wen you want or need to remove it. 

Check out Bakflip they have a hard folding and rolling option. They are about $700-1k depending on bed size, but I love how flush they sit on the rails, and allows me to lock the bed using my truck key and locking tailgate.

7E318550-D3E1-47CF-A27A-5B42386D0341.JPG

IMG_8601.JPG

I think I’m going to do a leer hard plexiglass tonneau. I saw one today and they are really nice and only about $600 for than the foldable ones.  I’m going to check a local car toys to see about a tow camera. 

I have the newest version of the Bakflip tonneau on my short bed Denali and really like it for the way I use a cover. Originally thought about the painted one piece, real sexy but for bigger over bed height loads which I occasionally have, I would of had to remove it which would of been a real PITA! The BF is not totally water proof like a 1 piece but with a mat in the bed nothing of importance has gotten wet. As far as safely securing stuff, it is only going to keep honest people honest so I rarely lock it or leave stuff in it at the ramp. A tower mounted b/u assist camera would be nice.

• 3 weeks later...

I imagine you are supposed to mount the camera on the boat, not the lower trailer. You'd see more on the boat than mounted low too.

Years ago, Regal had a third tail light built into the back of their smaller boats and you connected that to the trailer wiring. Kind of strange, didn't seem to last long. But the camera makes sense.