Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My First Decent Video

Jimmypooh

9 hours ago, RyanB said:

Do you mind me asking how much time it took to put it together?

The videos were taken over 5 outings.  They didn't take much extra time other than a bit to set up the drone.  The editing took me about 6-7 hours.  I was learning the software at the time so it would probably be 4 hours if I did it now.  If you're looking at getting into it, let me know if you want any tips.  I've learned a lot and hope to be better at videoing next summer.

16 hours ago, Jimmypooh said:

The videos were taken over 5 outings.  They didn't take much extra time other than a bit to set up the drone.  The editing took me about 6-7 hours.  I was learning the software at the time so it would probably be 4 hours if I did it now.  If you're looking at getting into it, let me know if you want any tips.  I've learned a lot and hope to be better at videoing next summer.

Thanks. I’d really like to get started. I think I’m more concerned about not doing anything with the video I take than the cost of the drone and such. But videos like this really want to make me do it. 

On 1/24/2018 at 12:14 AM, RyanB said:

Thanks. I’d really like to get started. I think I’m more concerned about not doing anything with the video I take than the cost of the drone and such. But videos like this really want to make me do it. 

Cost is definitely a factor when you're talking about drones.  To get decent footage you need something with a gimbal on it.  A Phantom 3 might work and would be your cheapest route, but I'm not sure it would keep up with the boat.  To get started from scratch it would likely cost 300-400 for a gopro and another 500 for a used drone.  A newer drone would cost around 900.  

Fortunately for me, I was already into RC aircraft, so I was able to home build one that is waterproof and is powerful enough to keep up to the boat for relatively cheap.

@RyanB Phantom 3 would do the trick.  I think they are under 600 new now, maybe even less.  They will keep up with the boat (supposed to do 35 MPH) but you will also want at least 1 extra battery as flight time will be about 20-25 minutes.  

My buddy has a P3 and was the first drone I flew.  I ended up with a P4 as a gift from my wife, but there are very few differences in them.   The P3 is a great drone, especially as their price has dropped since new models now seem to roll out every 6 months or so.   

Bummer about them being illegal on Powell.  Surely you could use it right around just your boat for a few cool shots without anyone getting too worked up about it.   We use mine for a lot of still photos even, including large group shots like at family reunions or our annual Table Rock trip.  

3 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Great video.  Anyone in KC want to teach me to slalom?  I love watching folks that can.  

Keep the ski in front of you and hold on... that will get you up, that’s is far as I go with it.