Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Family Board???

MJO21

We are very new to the surfing and Wake boarding scene.  I am going from a fish and ski to a 23LSV (deal pending).

My kids have always been tubers because the boat just couldn't get them out of the water easy enough to ski.  We are very interested in surfing and wake boarding.

I am starting the search for equipment. and do not want to break the bank on any one person.

Is there a universal board that the family could use as we learn and grow?....or am I going to be forced to buy a couple different boards for each sport?

Casey is 12.... 5'3" 110lbs

Sophia is 16...145lbs

Tammy is 45...160lbs

I am 45...230lbs.

many more questions to come.....

We live in Union, MO.  Most of our time will be at Table Rock & occasionally at Lake of the Ozarks, 

Thank you,

MikeO

Others can comment on if what I bought will actually work.  We were at the boat show we asked a similar question and wound up with a Ronix Modello Stub Fish - 4ft 8 board that has a pretty strong construction.  Guy said it would work for my 120lb wife and could also work for me (180lbs).  My primary requirements were that it be a board that anyone could use and that it not be super fragile.

Wakeboarding seems a bunch more sensitive to board size.  My wife used to try to use the fairly wide CWB Pure 141 that the boys and I use (155-180 lbs) and she could not keep it in the water, not to mention sticking her size 5's into the same boots that my sons 12's fit in;)  I bought her a Gator Lexy 127 kids board and all the sudden she had no problems.

Edited by oldjeep
3 hours ago, MJO21 said:

We are very new to the surfing and Wake boarding scene.  I am going from a fish and ski to a 23LSV (deal pending).

My kids have always been tubers because the boat just couldn't get them out of the water easy enough to ski.  We are very interested in surfing and wake boarding.

I am starting the search for equipment. and do not want to break the bank on any one person.

Is there a universal board that the family could use as we learn and grow?....or am I going to be forced to buy a couple different boards for each sport?

Casey is 12.... 5'3" 110lbs

Sophia is 16...145lbs

Tammy is 45...160lbs

I am 45...230lbs.

many more questions to come.....

We live in Union, MO.  Most of our time will be at Table Rock & occasionally at Lake of the Ozarks, 

Thank you,

MikeO

The Ronix Blender or Powertail would be my bet for a beginner board that you can progress alittle on. Has multiple fin options to adjust the riding style you like as well as has a decent warranty. Can be found for a decent price but will still give you good performance for the price point.

If you’re all beginners and have never surfed, I would recommend something like the CWB Tsunami. It’s easy to learn on, very stable, and it’s made like a wakeboard, so it’s very sturdy.  You can remove fins as you improve. 

Ronix and Phase5 also both make great beginner boards that will satisfy your needs for the first season.  As you improve, you will want something like the Powertail or Blender, but those boards might be a little fast for you just starting out. They are also more fragile and can be damaged by the sun, unlike the Tsunami. 

That said, as you improve, you will want something faster and more responsive than the beginner boards.  But that might be a season or two away, and you’ll always need a beginner board on the boat for someone.

At 230#, you might enjoy a longboard. Ronix makes a great one called the Koal Longboard.  Boards are like guitars—you need at least 3  

Another great beginner board is the Liquid Force Fish.  My family, friends, and I have all started out on this board.  As previously stated, you'll probably progress beyond it in a season or two and want to pick up something else.  I keep it around as there always seems to be someone that wants to learn to surf.

I second the Tsunami.  We have it as our main board and it is bulletproof.  It's stable enough for new people, but you can still spin it.  We aren't super surfers, but it does everything we ask of it.

We have a Hyperlite Broadcast 4'8" for all beginners/intermediate riders. I would say I am an intermediate rider. I can do 360's and such. I learned on our Broadcast over a 2 years ago and I still love riding it! I am 6'4" and about 200lbs, my wife also learned on the same board and she is 5'4" 100lbs. We have had people of all shapes and sizes learn on our Broadcast. People ranging from my nephew who is 6 years old to pro basketball players at 6'9" and 260lbs to my dad who is 6' about 260.  I will always have a broadcast on our boat no matter how good of riders we have with us. It is a blast for everyone!

Hope this helps!

• Like 3

+1 for the broadcast. I learned on that board and know two others who did as well.  It's a good starter board in my opinion. I also agree you'll probably want a different board once you start to get "better".

Check local shops for demos they are selling and check your local CL. We have a the HL as well. My smoking hot wife really likes it. We’ve had a lot of 1st timers get up on it also. 12 year old female to my lard 225# self.  Even had a cop that’s 6’6” 285 had no issues. My wife’s uncle that’s 82yo got up on it. 

Edited by sChamblee

+1 fir the broadcast as a starter, we quickly graduated to the LF Happy pill , as the name says that’s what you enjoy, you’ll out grow it to but the quad gives you many large and small fib quad combos but shines when you put 3.5’s in forward slots as a twin , Board finds wave for you!

Check out Evo.com; they have great deals on right now, including blemished boards. I just picked up a Hyperlite Broadcast (4'8") and a Hyperlite Shim (5'3") for the larger/more advanced riders. As for Wakeboards I woulds highly recommend the O'Brien Valhalla - amazing board that suits riders of all ability.

Cheers.

I've come across this question quite a bit! Being that the age & weights have a pretty good range, some compromise will have to be made.

As far as the wake surf goes, a bigger board would be better. The wave will have a lot to do with everyone riding 1 board as well. A bigger board will get you up and surfing, and the kids will be able to ride anything. The Ronix Koal boards are fantastic, mellow, easy to ride & learn on. There is tons of room for the kids to move up and down the board to get more speed, and it will teach them how to maneuver the surf board. Their muscle memory will grow quickly. The blender is an awesome choice as well. It's got the Powertail (allows the wave to push the board MUCH more than a pintail or fish tail board). The nose isn't as pointed, so you won't bury it as much. The rails will allow sweeping turns, or bite hard for some speed. And the 3 fin setup is key. All 3 fins allow the board to track very straight and it gives mellow, but precise, turns. A single fin will track very straight, and give a little more play. Two outside fins will track more like a snowboard, it will bite on turns and have some fun play in it.

Wakeboards get a little more specific. Weight & foot size are the causes. All of your kids could get away with the same board weight wise. I'd suggest a 128-136 size. If you were getting one board for your boy, I'd say a 128-132. If you were getting one for the girls to share, I would say 134-136. As a middle ground, the 134-136 size is my suggestion. Your boy will be able to learn the basics on it, and he will still grow. You could stand up on a 136, but it would be undersized for you. I'd suggest a board 140 or bigger for you.

A very unique board would be the Ronix District. It's got a true hybrid rocker. Continuous edges, with a 3 stage flat spot. It morphs to the riders style. I would LOVE to help you out more. Please shoot me any question directly or email [email protected]