Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Would you buy a boat that was used in brackish water?

obaro15

If it were me I’d take it to a reputable mechanic and just have him look over everything in detail. That way you might have a better idea and get to see things you might not have thought to look at. 

Something to consider:  the manifolds have been replaced, even though it was likely flushed after being ran, at least most of the time.  The interior of that trailer, however, has never been flushed and the metal was likely far thinner than the manifolds to begin with.  If the tail lights are showing issues, it is likely that the rest of the trailer is shot as well.  Like you said, rolling the dice a bit.  I'd go slow and easy every time with that 11 year old salty trailer.

The trailer will be fine if it is a paint over galvanized. Chances are if it was used in salt and is still in one piece that it is galvanized. If it wasn't it would likely be completely falling apart by now. That's a big thing for you to find out. 

5 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

I'd go slow and easy every time with that 11 year old salty trailer.

My salt water trailer is 48 years old and I still would not hesitate to do 80 mph on the interstate with it.  Just took it to NC and back last year.

45 minutes ago, electricjohn said:

My salt water trailer is 48 years old and I still would not hesitate to do 80 mph on the interstate with it.  Just took it to NC and back last year.

That may be so, but the OP said the trailer is rough, and shows rust at the tail lights.  Given that, a person has to question the integrity of the rest of the trailer, whether it's 11 years old or 1 year old.  The 24 year old trailer that was under my Echelon showed rust at the tail lights, and I found where a repair had been made at one of the cross members, from a plugged drain hole that rusted out.

Edit:...and that was fresh water!

Edited by Michigan boarder

Thanks for all the input.  I couldn't pass up the deal and I am going to roll the dice.  The seller sounds like a honest guy and he has been great to deal with.  I wont be picking up the boat until the beginning of Feb as it is 4 hours away.   Once again this forum never disappoints!

• Like 1

You will love the boat. That hull still has one of my favorite wakes. The monsoon engine is bulletproof too. I wouldn't call it a roll of the dice since everything seems to be in good shape. Every boat has a small issue every now and then and the parts on these boats that would corrode do so just as easily in fresh water as well. The gauge bezel and glove box door along with all the wakesetter emblems flake on all boats. 

13 hours ago, electricjohn said:

Surely yours was designed to be in salt. My 2006 boatmate I had to do some rust repair on and it was only in fresh water. Not all trailers are created equal. 

42 minutes ago, obaro15 said:

I am in Massachusetts.  The boat is in PA.

I think I saw that listing and was wondering why the price was so low. It looked really nice. Is it yellow?

8 hours ago, robbennett said:

Surely yours was designed to be in salt. My 2006 boatmate I had to do some rust repair on and it was only in fresh water. Not all trailers are created equal. 

The trailer frame and fenders on my 1970 trailer are galvanized, but the suspension, axles, hubs, bearings, wheels, and associated hardware is not.  Frame is also C channel, not boxed.  My 03 Boatmate trailer has seen salt, but I immediately follow up with a prolonged dip in fresh water.  I've launched in the bay in NJ, headed up the Hudson River into NY about 100 miles, sometimes more, to where I would meet my trailer and pull out from there.  Then head further upstate to my lake.  The Hudson is a very scenic and historic ride once above Manhattan.  Hardest part is getting someone to forfeit the boat ride and meet us with the trailer.  No rust yet on the Boatmate. 

8 hours ago, Gavin17 said:

If you have a long trip to get it home you may want to buy new trailer tires in the town where the boat is.  

Good tip. 

I asked the previous owner of my boat to drop the trailer off at a local marina to have it checked out prior to me getting there (I paid for some bearing buddies and new lights).  They tried to sell me a $1,800 brake job, but for a Response I wasn't worried about it.  Ordered two spare rims and tires before I got there as well.  Good thing, as one of the originals blew out on the Jersey Turnpike.  Other than that, no problems (and the trailer was in pretty rough shape).  

2 hours ago, powbmps said:

Good tip. 

I asked the previous owner of my boat to drop the trailer off at a local marina to have it checked out prior to me getting there (I paid for some bearing buddies and new lights).  They tried to sell me a $1,800 brake job, but for a Response I wasn't worried about it.  Ordered two spare rims and tires before I got there as well.  Good thing, as one of the originals blew out on the Jersey Turnpike.  Other than that, no problems (and the trailer was in pretty rough shape).  

$1800 for a brake job? I'm in the wrong business.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, robbennett said:

$1800 for a brake job? I'm in the wrong business.

Exactly.  4 new rotors and pads are about $250.  Even with all new bearings, new boat buddies, and a brake flush you might be $350 in parts. $1450 in labor??!!  Even if they were slow at 1 hour per wheel and an hour to bleed them, that's 5 hours of labor.  Ferrari mechanics have lower labor rates!

On 23/01/2018 at 4:09 AM, obaro15 said:

Its selling for 27K which is less then what I can find elsewhere.  The trailer is in rough condition.... what do you mean about the drain holes?  The two for the hull or the ones for the ballasts?

Picked up my 2011 with brackish water use.

the trailer is the trap. When you back the trailer in the front frames which curve in (on a Boatmate trailer) have orange clearance lights. Close to this area is there the water level reaches. Pop out a light and look to see the thickness of the material, or what is left. My trailer looked great but I started getting flakes of rust almost a big as the palm of my hand drop out the cut outs at the base of the long side rails of the trailer. These cut outs are underneath right at the rear of the side rails. When I went looking the wall thickness where these clearance lights varied from 3/32" to 1/8". Had pics going around down under where these curved frames had snapped while driving, all that saved the day was the boat secured to the winch post kept it together hitched to the car, stopped pretty quick.