Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anyone built a custom teak swim step?

isellacuras

Buddy of mine just bought a 26' Wellcraft Cuddy cabin and wants to add a swim deck. He was quoted +/-$2500 to have one custom made. Anyone ever done their own?  Curious as to how hard it would be to diy and what kind of costs were involved. 

My dad made me one for my sportster. I believe it was $500 for the teak alone and this was probably in 07. We were able to reuse my brackets.

Teak is a strange wood to work with. It is waxy and you end up with curly wood shavings everywhere.

I think that your cost above is probably reasonable to pay someone to have it made. Especially if there are no existing mounting brackets and hardware to reuse.

100_2222.JPG

I'd get some dimensions and start googling.  Something like this may work for $600

http://www.boatersland.com/wcp60972-oem.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjIvKrKrv2AIVAalpCh0aqQ3iEAQYAiABEgK2jPD_BwE

If you can find off the shelf it'll be cheaper.  My wine bar top was a $150 brand new Nautique platform. 

Edited by oldjeep
20 hours ago, Steve B. said:

I had a local carpenter clone my 95's deck using Tigerwood. Amazing stuff, although I wouldn't use it again because it is SO hard. Concrete hard. Bought the material from:

https://www.advantagelumber.com/tigerwood_decking.htm

Steve B.

What do you mean by this?  Hard to cut/fabricate?  As much as I love teak, if given the option of something more durable I would jump on it.

16 minutes ago, formulaben said:

What do you mean by this?  Hard to cut/fabricate?  As much as I love teak, if given the option of something more durable I would jump on it.

Tiger wood is almost as hard as IPE wood.  Will dull a carbide blade in no time, and is like drilling into a rock.  I built my mother inlaw a deck out of IPE and threw away every blade and drill bit I used on it.

With a good blade it cuts well. It is the most beautiful wood I've ever seen. However, once or twice I noticed the slightest splinter. And they were sharp. Scary sharp. Not something you could easily sand out. I'd use it for a walking surface like a patio, where you have shoes on.

If I was going to do it again, I would use Ipe, or Cumaru. Both harder than teak, but softer than tigerwood. Just not as colorful. I'd also say this about tigerwood on my deck. It never needed sanded, oiled or anything. Still looks exactly like it did when we put it together about 6 years ago. Unbelievable stuff.

Steve B.

(it's funny when you  pick up a board of tigerwood. You dont expect it to be so heavy, it' like steel or lead)

Edited by Steve B.
added info
15 minutes ago, Steve B. said:

With a good blade it cuts well. It is the most beautiful wood I've ever seen. However, once or twice I noticed the slightest splinter. And they were sharp. Scary sharp. Not something you could easily sand out. I'd use it for a walking surface like a patio, where you have shoes on.

If I was going to do it again, I would use Ipe, or Cumaru. Both harder than teak, but softer than tigerwood. Just not as colorful. I'd also say this about tigerwood on my deck. It never needed sanded, oiled or anything. Still looks exactly like it did when we put it together about 6 years ago. Unbelievable stuff.

Steve B.

IPE is a lot  harder than tigerwood

Ipe Decking 3600lbs 22,560 psi

Tigerwood Decking 1850 lbs 19,285 psi

Teak 1200 lbs

So tigerwood is 1.5x harder than teak but half as hard as IPE.  I would never try to use IPE as a swim deck, the stuff weighs a ton

Edited by oldjeep
8 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I would never try to use IPE as a swim deck, the stuff weighs a ton

Sounds like a plan for us v-drive guys.  Always looking for more ballast.  :)