Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best place for new trailer fenders

Nitrousbird

My trailer (SMP) came with 14" wheels.  When I upgraded to 18" wheels, I needed a lot more clearance.  To do that, I redrilled (and grinded) the mounting holes to make them go further outboard.  I then basically stacked plywood to make it wider, new plywood "inner fender" and then carpeted it all.  It looked semi-factory and was satisfactory for sure.

Late last fall, on a trip to Norris, I had a wheel come off on the freeway at 75MPH.  Either bad luck with lugs or somehow I forgot to torque down the lug nuts (which I'm pretty anal about, so I find it hard to believe I forgot).  Fortunately, the wheel just rolled into the median with no damage and $400 tow/trailer shop bill and 4 hours later, we were back on our trip.  Unfortunately, this damaged the fender.  I also need to re-do my custom widening look and the fenders are looking pretty worn.

Anyway, I want/need new fenders.  I want something that is just the proper width with no modifications needed to make them wider and I will actually go about 1/2 - 1" wider than my current setup as the current clearances are too tight for my liking.  Any good fender vendors?  I'll likely want to go stainless unless the price is prohibitive.  Of note, my boat sits between the fenders and not over top, so fenders off of a modern 18" setup may not work.

I would not hesitate to call down to Boatmate and see if they can help.  They are absolutely amazing to work with.  They could probably find something that would work for you.  You could try some trailer supply places online, but I know you'd get exactly what you need with a shop like theirs.

When I did the trailer project a couple years ago, I was actually going to do new fenders then.  Boatmate was less than helpful regarding this project and I ended up doing my current setup.

34 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

When I did the trailer project a couple years ago, I was actually going to do new fenders then.  Boatmate was less than helpful regarding this project and I ended up doing my current setup.

Hmmm...  That's very surprising to me.  I'm sorry to hear that.

16 minutes ago, JeffK said:

Hmmm...  That's very surprising to me.  I'm sorry to hear that.

I'll still look at what they have.  My issue last time was getting exact dimensions of their fenders.  Their website isn't descriptive.  Maybe I can find a contact this time that is willing to give me some assistance, as it looks like they have some more products now that I'd like to utilize to make make the trailer a little nicer (as I'm doing a full refresh on her this year).

33 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I'll still look at what they have.  My issue last time was getting exact dimensions of their fenders.  Their website isn't descriptive.  Maybe I can find a contact this time that is willing to give me some assistance, as it looks like they have some more products now that I'd like to utilize to make make the trailer a little nicer (as I'm doing a full refresh on her this year).

That makes more sense.  You may have to contact them directly, but they are great to work with. 

3 hours ago, JeffK said:

That makes more sense.  You may have to contact them directly, but they are great to work with. 

I did contact them directly last time (e-mail and phone).

31 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I did contact them directly last time (e-mail and phone).

Sorry.  I read your comment to mean you used their website and that you'd try reaching someone this time.  My bad.