Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

6.7 powerstroke

RudyMuller

I have a 5.4 f150 and I'm thinking about getting a 13-15 f250. 

Just wondering the gas mileage, towing and reliability is.

im in Colorado and I pull my boat through the mountains a lot.

thanks a bunch

18 hours ago, RudyMuller said:

I have a 5.4 f150 and I'm thinking about getting a 13-15 f250. 

Just wondering the gas mileage, towing and reliability is.

im in Colorado and I pull my boat through the mountains a lot.

thanks a bunch

I can help with this!  I just bought a 2015 F-250 Diesel with the 6.7L Powerstroke.  I have about 4000 city / highway miles on it and just put 100 towing miles on it with a 2015 23LSV in tow.

I get about 15.5 in the city and can get 18 on the highway.  Towing in texas which is pretty flat i was getting about 13 mpg.  The towing is incredile and I was really impressed yesterday.  I would strongly urge you to look at he diferences b/t a 13 and 15 - I think there are noticeable powertrain differences with the 15 such as the turbo being bigger and built better.  I would also make sure that your truck has the 100k powertrain warranty which my 15 does.   I have had a couple issues that were covered by warranty.  Make sure that your dealership has a diesel mechanic and a good one.  I was shocked to find out that some of the mega dealers in North Texas dont have diesel mechanics on staff all day, every day.

Let me know if you have any questions - I love my 2015 F-250 Lariat!

Edited by Murphy8166
  • Like 2

I have a 2014 F250 and it gets 13 to 13.5 towing our 23LSV depending on how hard I push it.  We are not as flat as Texas, but relatively flat.  I took our boat from Northern Virginia to Chattanooga TN last summer and we got 13.9 on the interstate towing at 65 to 75 due to the varying speed zones, but I’m very happy. 14-15mpg around town and 16-18 on the Hwy not towing.  I now have 53k miles on it and very happy. Only had 1 issue with mine and it was covered under warranty. Make sure to get the extended warranty.    This is the third f250 I’ve owned. Fell free to pm me if you ha e any specific questions. 

2015 F250 6.7L here... awesome truck. Reliable, quiet, powerful. I was in-between an aluminum F150 and steel F250 back in 2015 but they were about the same price new.

Incredible towing, ESPECIALLY on grades. 

Lifetime truck mileage is at 16.6 mpg. 8k load dual axle I get about 13-14 mpg. 

Now I gotta get myself into a 2017 power stroke.

I am going to throw this out here😂😂 I drive a 14 Ram 3500 srw. I hook up at 28k on a regular basis. And tow the Bu 100 miles every weekend. 8 months out of the year. The clock just turned 103k. It has not been in the shop. FOR ANYTHING!!! First time ever I have wasted money on the 100k warranty.:woot::clap:. Just add 300-500lb to the bed (I am a contractor, that is my tools)and she rides smooth. Love my Dodge.😎😎

43 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

I am going to throw this out here😂😂 I drive a 14 Ram 3500 srw. I hook up at 28k on a regular basis. And tow the Bu 100 miles every weekend. 8 months out of the year. The clock just turned 103k. It has not been in the shop. FOR ANYTHING!!! First time ever I have wasted money on the 100k warranty.

100k warranty should have been free. Mine came with 5/100 from the factory.

Any issues with transmission overheating on steep Colorado mountains in the heat of summer? My 5.4 f150 would heat up to 230 leaving bullfrog (lake Powell). Trying to avoid all that. 

1 hour ago, RudyMuller said:

Any issues with transmission overheating on steep Colorado mountains in the heat of summer? My 5.4 f150 would heat up to 230 leaving bullfrog (lake Powell). Trying to avoid all that. 

Do you have a transmission cooler?  It makes a huge difference.

I'm a total GM guy, currently have a duramax that tows the boat as if nothing is behind it.  The new f250 and f350 trucks are pretty awesome, seriously considering switching to a Ford.  Have lots of friends with the new 6.7, seems to be a solid new motor.

Just got a gmc 2500 Denali to pull my m235. I hear all the 3/4 tons deisels are great with about the same performance but I liked the look fit and finish of the Denali the best. If you get the one ton I hear the fords are the best. 

• 5 months later...

100K on my ‘11 F-350, 6.7. Mileage similar to above. 

I haul a 29.5 foot (35 foot overall), 10,000 pound fifth wheel camper with a double ATV trailer behind it. 

In 2011, the Ford legitimately had a step up on the competition in terms of uphill performance at max legal load. In 2018, this is no longer the case. There are some measurable differences, but in the real world, they aren’t noticeable. 

After towing through mountainous terrain for a while, I’ve come to the opinion that we are all looking at the wrong thing when evaluating these trucks. I’m a lot more interested in how they brake than how they accelerate, especially on steep grades. 

Prior to 2017, I felt the Duramax, and Cummins had the best braking performance, by far, with the nod to the GM for ease of use. With the ‘17 Powerstroke update, the gap is narrowing, perhaps non-existent, and it seems that the manufacturers have made them all pretty easy to use. Still, I would look closely at the design of the engine braking systems, and how easy it is to enable it  

Personally if I was buying today, I would go with the Duramax, with the Cummins a close second. But you really can’t go wrong with any of them. The Cummins brake might be slightly more powerful, but I found the GM system slightly easier to activate  

I’m curious as to why people recommend the 3/4 ton products though. They never made sense to me. If I’m going with a “super duty” truck, I would take the 350-3500 every time. 

Edited by bigskydoc

I have a 2011 350 srw, and love it for all the reasons stated above, 85k on her now and lifetime 13.7 mpg includes towing and several Tahoe/Reno trips that are up 6500 elevation. 

The sweetspot for highway cruising is 67mph and you can get 18-22mpg 

@bigskydoc my 350 is noticeably stiffer on the ride than 250’s of similar years, I do keep a small load in the back , but we do bounce around a bit.

(Mini hijack) currently looking into new shocks , anyone have some recommendations. I’d love to pick up a set of adjustable resivoir Fox 2.0’s but I’m not that keen on dropping $1200 just for shocks unless there will be a drastic improvement 

I have driven all three brands of Duallies and 3/4 tons in last 20 years. And all are good trucks. Have their up sides and downsides. Just know before buying a dually that there is a lot to consider. Duallies are a harsher ride. Especially the newer ford. It really needs more rebound dampening from the shocks on the rear. You can add weight to Gm or dodge and it helps tremendously but the Ford still moves too fast up over every square edge bump.  I have 3 friends with the 2017 fords  f350’s  and a few friends with 250’s. And 250’s ride and drive wayyyyy better, and also on Duallies You are limited to tire and wheel selections unless adding wheel spacers, then to properly rotate tires you are dismounting and balancing to move tires. And banks and atm drive throughs become real tight squeezes. All parking becomes really tight. 

But if towing more than 17k it is the safest route. 

Edited by spikew919
1 hour ago, Stevo said:

(Mini hijack) currently looking into new shocks , anyone have some recommendations. I’d love to pick up a set of adjustable resivoir Fox 2.0’s but I’m not that keen on dropping $1200 just for shocks unless there will be a drastic improvement 

Take a peak at Bilsteins. 

If you have the option go with 15 or newer, has the bigger-upgraded turbo. The early versions of the 6.7 are prone to turbo failure after 100k miles.