Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunsetter Trunk

SkiPablo

Hi All,  i have a 2003 Sunsetter LXi - is the trunk supposed to be a slow closer ?  Right now if I let go of the lid it will slam.  I thought about getting new struts on order for it but I didn't know if it was normal now or should be a slow close.   Currently has SPD-GS-5200-20 

thanks!

If it has struts, it should be slow closing.  They are probably just worn out.  But in the end, they are a convenience item that also helps reduce wear and tear by slamming it and adding a little extra support.  Totally your call on whether you want them or not. 

My ‘01 needed the struts replaced twice in the 13 years I owned it. No big deal. Just pull em off and go order some from the local auto parts store or get them on line. You can likely still read the part numbers off them to get the right strength and travel. 

• Like 1

Years ago I replaced the struts on my '01 SSLXi with ones that were just a tad higher pressure because the original struts would occasionally allow the lid to drop when someone (typically me) was reaching in the trunk. 

On 1/18/2018 at 10:46 AM, SkiPablo said:

Hi All,  i have a 2003 Sunsetter LXi - is the trunk supposed to be a slow closer ?  Right now if I let go of the lid it will slam.  I thought about getting new struts on order for it but I didn't know if it was normal now or should be a slow close.   Currently has SPD-GS-5200-20 

thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gas-Spring-SPD-GSNI-5200-20-or-LGP6-170-20-Strut-Prop-Rod-RV-Camper-Hatch-Door/290953390946?hash=item43be2c6b62:g:6RkAAOxydl5SKkOZ&vxp=mtr

Edited by formulaben

When new they'll obviously have more pressure, but if you really want to you can up the pressure.  Your part number is SPD-GS-5200-20  and the 20 at the end is the pounds of pressure.  Just go up to a 30 or 40 if you want/need to.  I raised my pressure on my engine hatch struts since they would droop.  Not a big deal...

• 4 months later...

I replaced mine with the ones bakes sales, and the pressure is way too high for the trunk and the glove box. To the point I had to take them off until I get some lower ones. They were tearing up the mounts and the glove box latch. Just a word of caution. The engine cover is good with the higher pressure. On a 99 sunsetter Lx

On 2018-01-22 at 2:34 PM, John I. said:

Years ago I replaced the struts on my '01 SSLXi with ones that were just a tad higher pressure because the original struts would occasionally allow the lid to drop when someone (typically me) was reaching in the trunk. 

Been there. My Response LX trunk landed on my head a couple times while I was changing my blower motor out. 

10 hours ago, cadeta1c said:

I replaced mine with the ones bakes sales, and the pressure is way too high for the trunk and the glove box. To the point I had to take them off until I get some lower ones. They were tearing up the mounts and the glove box latch. Just a word of caution. The engine cover is good with the higher pressure. On a 99 sunsetter Lx

I ordered mine from amazon. Just search for the part number. Fast. Cheap. Easy. Works. Best combination for this type of item.